It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Victoria's Ugly Secret- A Leader in Deforestation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
MAILS OVER ONE MILLION CATALOGS EVERY DAY USING VERY LITTLE RECYCLED PAPER

MAILS OVER 370 MILLION CATALOGS EVERY YEAR MAKING IT A LEADER IN DEFORESTATION

Printed on paper from the Canadian Boreal, a forest wilderness larger than the Brazilian Amazon. The Canadian Boreal is a key buffer protecting us from global warming and is home to billions of North America�s migrating birds, as well as grizzly bears and threatened caribou. It�s being cut down at a rate of two acres a minute, 24 hours a day, mainly for paper. Victoria�s Secret is not satisfied with just stripping the Boreal�it is also destroying forests in the Southern U.S., one of the most biologically diverse regions of our country and the unfortunate source for 15% of the world�s paper.

PLEASE HELP STOP THIS MADNESS

www.victoriasdirtysecret.net...

LL1

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I receive a catalogue just about every other day!
There is not another company that sends as many catalogues as Victoria's.
Some are even repeated issues in the same week.
Their Christmas catalogue was just about 200 pages, with the $10m bra.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
seems kinda ironic to me!

[edit on 12-12-2004 by Rifleman]

E_T

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
That could be called as paper version of spam.

But it isn't exactly "state secret" that destroying nature still benefits big money.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Heck, Victoria doesn't have the market cornered on over-cataloging us.
JC Penney and Park Seed send me catalogs every time I turn around, it seems. And Land's End, and ONe Hanes Place.
Also, it is VERY hard to get them to stop them, esp. One Hanes Place.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I don't think I would want to touch a recycled victoria secret catalog

(I'm sorry I couldn't resist)

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Seems to me that someone in their infinite and short-sighted wisdom actually has "sold" exclusive purchasing rights. It's not like Victoria's Secret is just going to stomp across the border and trample all across the forest taking whatever they want. Someone sold the rights, I'll bet ! So that's were the sin has been given life in this chain of events.

Actually marketers (well, some, let me make that most) have no regard for our environment, or the company's life-line the consumer you and me, excluding them). They just want to sell at any cost.

They best part is that all those sundry costs are passed right back to the consumer, albiet by an inflated price.

That's also why the CEO's can afford to have extravagant salaries even though the corporation could be making huge losses, and the shareholders get reduced returns on THEIR investment.

Does this make any sense at all?

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
All of this then opens up a new can-of-worms:

Who owns natural resources, who should be given exclusive rights to "sell" those resources? Should it be someone in this generation, or from the next generation (we ought to save some for our children, and grandchildren too)...or from the current government, or...

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   
With regard to ownership of the Boreal Forest:

image from here

[edit on 13-12-2004 by parrhesia]

top topics

join