It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blocking streets at random is not nonviolence

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: criticalhit

Caught the presidents attention and now action is being taken.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

the people that threw tea into boston harbor were breaking the law...so, apparently you would have been on the side of the british empire during the formation of the U.S.

some serious reaching going on in this thread...

comparing the situation of this thread to nazi germany, the boston tea party and the fight for independence
ok

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

Yeah but its by the people trying to pretend that stopping traffic is somehow violent not by protesters who accomplished their goal of gaining national attention and engaging the executive branch of government in the conversation.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666
What I learned from this thread:
As long as people who want to gain the attention of society, protest in a designated area [far away from anyone who has important business to attend] and in a non-disruptive way [preferably without making any noise at all, so as not to make a nuisance of themselves], then protesting is fine.

I always thought that non violent protests were there to catch the attention of those who normally love to look past other people's problems. What a good idea to sit on a road. I know it works because even those who normally can't be bothered have got so angry about this that they are making comments.
IMO that means mission accomplished [without bloodshed].

Yup exactly.

Sorry you were late to your football game but we're trying to stop the police from violently attacking average citizens and killing them without a trial.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

i didnt say it was violent. i said it is unlawful and i said it is selfish to force people to stop their lives cause there is an issue you care about.

you are fine with it because it is something you care about.

how would you feel if you were stopped by protestors and there was no way for you to drive around the block?
you would be cool with it?

now what if you were on your way to the hospital cause your child was being born or your child was hurt?

would you still be ok with it?

im curious about that

also, i dont think the average citizen goes after a cops pistol...
edit on 2-12-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Sorry you were late to your football game but we're trying to stop the police from violently attacking average citizens and killing them without a trial.

i ask again
what if you were on the way to some emergency?
something with your child?
something with your parents...

you can address everything else...please address this..

say your wife was in an accident and she was in a bad way and you were on the way to the hospital to be with her but you couldnt get there because you had to stop for an hour cause of a protest in the street...

you would be fine with it then?

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666
What I learned from this thread:
As long as people who want to gain the attention of society, protest in a designated area [far away from anyone who has important business to attend] and in a non-disruptive way [preferably without making any noise at all, so as not to make a nuisance of themselves], then protesting is fine.

I always thought that non violent protests were there to catch the attention of those who normally love to look past other people's problems. What a good idea to sit on a road. I know it works because even those who normally can't be bothered have got so angry about this that they are making comments.
IMO that means mission accomplished [without bloodshed].

Yup exactly.

No you aren't.

That isn't what happened.

Using force to prevent your fellow citizens from going about their business, some of which may be just as life threatening, does nothing of the sort.

I see you ignored my previous point.

I assume you agree with anti-abortion protestors preventing women from entering abortion clinics then--by your own criteria?
edit on 2-12-2014 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

I see you ignored my previous point.

my direct question is being ignored as well.
pretty easy to be cool with it when youre not the one being forced to stop going about your business.
oh well

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

a reply to: criticalhit

Caught the presidents attention and now action is being taken.

LOL caught the Black Presidents attention that Racism exists did it? Sure he hadn't noticed...

Action is being taken? Cops get Gopros lol...

Only In America do people believe they can rid the world of sin, Got rid of those hookers, War on drugs lol, Moms against breathing and feeling alive lol...

News Flash: "American President Takes Action against crap that has existed since the beginning of time knowing there will still be stupid jerks that do it anyway, budget starts at 76 Billion dollars"

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
edit

fair enough onequestion

edit on 2-12-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I would probably stop and find out what's going on.

Depending on the circumstances and the issue I might join them.

Otherwise after a little frustration Id forget about it in a day. No real harm done.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

That thread is about interpersonal relationships entirely different issue.

Protesting is typically done to give voice to a cause.

Separate issues.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I would probably stop and find out what's going on.

Depending on the circumstances and the issue I might join them.

Otherwise after a little frustration Id forget about it in a day. No real harm done.

really. your being honest??
if so ok...i just want to make sure

i want to make sure that if you were on the way to the hospital cause your child was being born or cause your child was in an accident you would get out and find out what is going on, possibly join them, and forget about it in a day...

i just want to be sure....

i know if i missed the birth of my child or missed out on possibly saying goodbye to a loved one because of a protest that blocked the street i would be super pissed and definitely not forget about it in a day...

but, we are different people...

thanks for answering although i suspect you are not being truthful....just being honest

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

You'd be surprised at the lengths is be willing to go in order to stand up for something I believe in. I've lost jobs and everything.

I try not to get violent but if it came down to giving my family away to the nazis is fight.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

You'd be surprised at the lengths is be willing to go in order to stand up for something I believe in. I've lost jobs and everything.

I try not to get violent but if it came down to giving my family away to the nazis is fight.

ok. fair enough.
good luck in life

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Same to you thanks.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
You doing that on purpose, OP? Spouting the most inane, sociopathic, hateful, resentful threads just for the sake of... getting attention? Not that it ain't a new phenomena on ATS though...

Yet the reality no one is noticing:

CARS ARE VIOLENCE

Motor vehicles are still the No. 1 cause of death in the US, and that's not counting the number of non-human life beings senselessly crushed everyday on the roads (a.k.a "roadkills").

Now compare that to the numbers of deaths or physical harms caused by protesters blocking the streets. Hmmm....

FAIL.

edit on 2/12/14 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Echtelion
You doing that on purpose, OP? Spouting the most inane, sociopathic, hateful, resentful threads just for the sake of... getting attention? Not that it ain't a new phenomena on ATS though...

Yet the reality no one is noticing:

CARS ARE VIOLENCE

Motor vehicles are still the No. 1 cause of death in the US, and that's not counting the number of non-human life beings senselessly crushed everyday on the roads (a.k.a "roadkills").

Now compare that to the numbers of deaths or physical harms caused by protesters blocking the streets. Hmmm....

FAIL.

His point is, and that point is not without merit, is that large mobs blocking lawful travel by citizens is violence in that it is intimidation and coercion. Large mob actions are intimidating and that is the entire point of that action--to pressure and intimidate people into action (or so they claim).

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

onequestion:

First let me say, I know your a long time member and I've seen your posts from time to time on, not that I'm stalking you lol. Just trying to express that I respect you and your opinions.

Let me ask you this. If, and obviously this is hypothetical. But lets say that you and a large group are getting ready to go protest in Ferguson. You all meet up and begin to travel to your rally point. On the way you are are stopped in your tracks because me and another large group of people have blocked the road in a protest against your protest.

Doesn't this open up a can of worms? Are the Anti Abortion protesters allowed to block the Pro-Choice protesters from reaching their destination? Are the 2nd Amendment supporters allowed to block the Anti-Gunners from reaching their destination?

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: XTexan

Thats the type of situation that might warrant police intervention. At least to keep the peace.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join