It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

St. Louis Rams come onto field displaying ‘hands up, don’t shoot’ in support of Ferguson

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

Members of the NFL’s St. Louis Rams came onto their home field on Sunday posing with the ‘hands up, don’t shoot’ gesture associated with the shooting of teenager Michael Brown by police officer Darren Wilson in Ferguson, Missouri.

The gesture has become part of a movement designed to draw attention to the spate of shootings of young African-American men by police officers across the country.

As player introductions began at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis, five players — Stedman Bailey, Tavon Austin, Jared Cook, Chris Givens, and Kenny Britt — came out onto the field first, to the applause of the crowd, before being joined by their teammates.

The gesture comes on the weekend following protests after a Ferguson grand jury declined to indict Wilson in the death of Brown.

I expect Ferguson incident to be a long lived and debated event for a long time. Both in the Media and around the water cooler.
Will this help us grow as a nation? Nah, the divisions are to deep ....racially, politically and culturally.

The debate on ATS really opened my eyes as just how deep the divisions really are.

God help us!

www.youtube.com...

edit on 30-11-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
That's awesome. And will be pretty hard to ignore, either, given the place football has in American life. There will be a wide range of reactions, but at least the statement has been made. However, this part annoys me:

The gesture has become part of a movement designed to draw attention to the spate of shootings of young African-American men by police officers across the country.

They keep focusing on just blacks being shot, but the problem isn't a race one, it is the excessive use of force by cops on American citizens, regardless of race. Race is the red herring that keeps people's attention of the real issue. Cops acting like Gestapo. So long as the focus is on race, nothing will get done, and victims will keep piling up.

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Th
And will be pretty hard to ignore, either, given the place football has in American life.

The NFL's track record lately has not been one of high moral rectitude.

+11 more 
posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I see it as the NFL supporting burning down innocent businesses.

Way to go NFL, jump right into the controversy and open itself up to scrutiny.

Teebow couldn't bow in the endzone but players can support violence in America.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
The drama is so intense !!!

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Th
And will be pretty hard to ignore, either, given the place football has in American life.

Their moral track record has always been poor, so that is not news. Football players have been beating and raping women, assaulting people, driving while intoxicated, using legal and illegal drugs, gambling, and dodging taxes for decades with slaps on the wrists being the standard punishment.

Still, the NFL remains one of the most important cultural institutions in this country, and something more people pay attention to than they do anything else.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Their moral track record has always been poor, so that is not news. Football players have been beating and raping women, assaulting people, driving while intoxicated, using legal and illegal drugs, gambling, and dodging taxes for decades with slaps on the wrists being the standard punishment.

Agreed.

Still, the NFL remains one of the most important cultural institutions in this country, and something more people pay attention to than they do anything else.

Well, maybe for those with a poor moral compass. When I want a lesson on good morals I will look to a group that actually has them instead of systemically supporting amorality.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Well, maybe for those with a poor moral compass. When I want a lesson on good morals I will look to a group that actually has them instead of systemically supporting amorality.

But you have to admit that the NFL and NBA are iconic entities in American culture.
Their show of support for Ferguson can't be ignored.

Idk if it's good or bad but it does send a message.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

But you have to admit that the NFL and NBA are iconic entities in American culture.

I do not dispute that.

There show of support for Ferguson can't be ignored.

This is not, however, the NFL's support, this is five players on one team's choice to protest. Reminiscent of the Black Power hand gesture in the Olympics.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

The entire country has a poor moral compass, if you really want to get down to it, so again, the NFL remains popular. On top of numerous other institutions, cultural icons, and public figures who all reflect the overall lack of healthy morality.

When I want a lesson in morality, there are no groups of people that actually have or practice good morals, so I instead follow my own compass, and receive inspiration from the few individuals I know who actually live by them.

Regardless, it does not change the fact that many people in the country consider the NFL on par with whatever religion they follow, and thus, when football teams, players, or managers do something, it is more likely to be noticed and mimiced by the public

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Where did they say they supported that? You do know there are people there that is protesting peacefully.

He couldn't bow in the end-zone because he sucked. Btw it was keeling not bowing.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

This is not, however, the NFL's support, this is five players on one team's choice to protest. Reminiscent of the Black Power hand gesture in the Olympics.

And as a symbol of defiance, it was unparalleled and remembered, even by you; 50 years later. Amazing.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Seeing the track record of some of the NFL players I would ask this simple question. Are they really supporting Ferguson or are they practicing for the next time they get busted?

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Where did they say they supported that? You do know there are people there that is protesting peacefully.

He couldn't bow in the end-zone because he sucked. Btw it was keeling not bowing.

The players represent the NFL. They get fined and suspended for their conduct all the time because it represents the NFL.

Kneeling is a form of bowing, you really are a nitpicker.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Th

Still a better track record than cops or Congress.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

First of all tebow could do his knell, did it plenty, hence the joke about it.

And the players only reflect the NFL when the NFL wants them to reflect them to get money from them.
Doesn't mean they speak for the organization.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

Still a better track record than cops or Congress.

I am sure if you put some of the turds playing sports into positions of power you would get corruption, scandal, cover ups and the same sociopathic behavior that would affect more people than it does now. Witness the Sandusky affair and the NFL trying to cover itself with Ray Rice and tell me that those involved are not cut from the same cloth as our wonderful Congress.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

First of all tebow could do his knell, did it plenty, hence the joke about it.

And the players only reflect the NFL when the NFL wants them to reflect them to get money from them.
Doesn't mean they speak for the organization.

Tell that to any player who got a DUI or how about the ones caught doing domestic violence against their girlfriends/wives. Then there are the ones like that tight end from New England, the NFL got rid of him right away even though he was innocent until proven guilty.
Your theory that the NFL ignores players is false because they fine players regularly for their conduct off the field. In this case they are actually displaying poor conduct on an actual NFL playing field, a nationally televised event paid for by the NFL. To pretend they do not represent the NFL is dishonest.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

Your theory that the NFL ignores players is false because they fine players regularly for their conduct off the field. In this case they are actually displaying poor conduct on an actual NFL playing field, a nationally televised event paid for by the NFL. To pretend they do not represent the NFL is dishonest.

Exactly, and that's what makes this symbolic gesture so powerful. We are a culture of symbols, they have meaning and
the cause and effect associated with those symbols can become an integral part of our lives and who we are as a people.
I offer the Christian cross as the prime example. No one is ignorant of what the cross represents.

And maybe not now but eventually the "hands raised" will symbolize a deep distrust of authority in general.
Clever designers and marketing gurus are already designing all sorts of apparel, trinkets, graphic art; it's American
capitalism taking advantage of current events to make money.
www.psychologytoday.com...

Perhaps the "hands raised, don't shoot" meme will die out quickly, but it has the potential of being a rallying point for not just young blacks but youth in general; especially when displayed by their sports heroes.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I wonder how many fans they will lose.

I already watch much less football because of all the stupid antics after a play. The players celebrate every little thing.

Image if people that hold jobs celebrated like that. Hey, I sent an email as he chest bumps his colleague.

This is just show without any substance

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join