It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA shows a year of C02 cycles on Earth

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
NASA has released a video showcasing a year's worth of C02 fluctuations around Earth. What's most important to me is the fact that NASA scientists are saying that despite efforts to curb C02 emissions, C02 in the atmosphere continues to increase from year to year. In other words "we're screwed!"

“It reiterates what we’ve seen from science over the years,” Bill Putman, lead scientist on the project at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., told Yahoo News. “We’re emitting gases, and Earth is trying to absorb that in its reservoirs, but the concentration is continuing to grow.”

The video shows carbon dioxide levels climbing higher and higher for an entire year.

I suppose things could always be worse. We haven't completely destroyed the atmosphere, YET! What says ATS?

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Here's a cool video on the subject though opinions may vary on the increase.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Because co2 is loved by plants they have a tendency to gobble up extra if added in green houses .I am not sure of the figures but it is substantial to the out-put of the plants .

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
Because co2 is loved by plants they have a tendency to gobble up extra if added in green houses .I am not sure of the figures but it is substantial to the out-put of the plants .

This.

So maybe the alleged increase in carbondioxide is rather due to a reduction in plant mass, especially trees, rather than due to an increased output of said gas.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

de-forestration is the major problem. less forests - less absorbing capacity.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: H1ght3chHippie

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

This.

So maybe the alleged increase in carbondioxide is rather due to a reduction in plant mass, especially trees, rather than due to an increased output of said gas.

Yes, that's true, but that magnitude is substantially less than the observed increase in CO2, and isotopic analysis shows a significant fossil fuel contribution.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
To the average viewer, the video is somewhat deceiving. One might think that those ominous swirls of yellow and red colors are the atmosphere heating up and the lighter colors like white are cooling down.

But that's not what it means at all!

If you look at the scale on the bottom right, it is showing how levels of C02 are correlated to the colors in the video. Red to yellow indicates a mid-level to decreasing amount of C02, while white to pink indicates an increasingly higher C02 level.

Pretty much the opposite scale of what we usually see in climate change related scales. I wonder if this was done on purpose?

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
This latest piece at WUWT goes into new findings about crops and co2 production " In a study published Wednesday, Nov. 19, in Nature, scientists at Boston University, the University of New Hampshire, the University of Michigan, the University of Minnesota, the University of Wisconsin-Madison and McGill University show that a steep rise in the productivity of crops grown for food accounts for as much as 25 percent of the increase in this carbon dioxide (CO2) seasonality.

It’s not that crops are adding more CO2 to the atmosphere; rather, if crops are like a sponge for CO2, the sponge has simply gotten bigger and can hold and release more of the gas.

With global food productivity expected to double over the next 50 years, the researchers say the findings should be used to improve climate models and better understand the atmospheric CO2 buffering capacity of ecosystems, particularly as climate change may continue to perturb the greenhouse gas budget. wattsupwiththat.com...

Considering the size of the ocean and how algae can sequester co2 as well it would seem to be something to get a real good grip on . The article states that with the new findings it should help computer modelers making better programs . The OP's link to the vid is a computer model so it would be hard to say how accurate that model is .
a reply to: H1ght3chHippie

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I would think with "global warming - climate change that the tree line would also expand further north .Without data as to how much a tree around the end of their life cycle and the amount of co2 they take in it would be hard to say .Just like us older folks we don't need the calories we once did . a reply to: deckdel

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I see things this way: Climate Change/ Global Warming is a snowball rolling downhill. It just started to roll so it's still small and we can still stop it. The longer we wait to stop it the more dangerous, larger and the faster it will be.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The pro-agw meme and all the predictions made by them have not come to pass . In fact when you go over the history of it ,one should wonder if maybe these PHD. people shouldn't have to return their doctorate . Add to that climategate and how that is a gift that keeps on giving . Some of those people have lost a lot of credibility with their peers , or pals . a reply to: lostbook

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: H1ght3chHippie

So maybe the alleged increase in carbondioxide is rather due to a reduction in plant mass, especially trees, rather than due to an increased output of said gas
Maybe, but no. The isotopic signature of the CO2 indicates that it is the result of burning fossil fuels.

www.esrl.noaa.gov...

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1
The global average temperature for October was the highest on record.
The global average land temperature for October was the 5th highest on record (the highest being 2005).
The global average sea surface temperature for October was the highest on record.
The global average temperature for January-October was the highest on record, surpassing that of 1998 during which there was an extreme ENSO event.

What about the other side of the coin?

The global average temperature for October was the 135th coolest on record.
The global average land temperature for October was the 131st coolest on record.
The global average sea surface temperature for October was the 135th coolest on record.
The global average temperature for January-October was the 135th coolest on record.

www.ncdc.noaa.gov...

So with 135 years of records, what do you think? Getting warmer or cooler?

edit on 11/20/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Maybe it's the sun, or Mother Nature has the flu and a high fever. And since it's the flu, that means it's a virus...

That means us.

Too polluted and walked all over for too long, she calls it quits. Roaming the galaxy, she's on her last pack of newports looking to get swept up by some greater force.

If its not the flu then its cancer. From all those newports. We suck either way. But how dare corporations lust for money, justify the extra pollution. Greed, expansion, buy outs, market domination. Soon we'll all be fine dining at WalMart.

edit on 20-11-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

We'll Phage,

I think the answer is both; warmer in some places, colder in others.

I think overall we're getting warmer. I've seen the Earth's climate depicted as a wave; high in the places where it's warm and low where it's cool. Beyond that, we seem to keep breaking the record for warmest summer or coldest winter every year in these recent times.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

A lot more warmer than colder.
static.ddmcdn.com...

Beyond that, we seem to keep breaking the record for warmest summer or coldest winter every year in these recent times.

Globally, in this year there have been 161 all time highs set and 74 all time lows.
In the past 365 days there have been 168 all time highs set and 92 all time lows.
www.ncdc.noaa.gov...

That's a pretty dramatic difference.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

A lot more warmer than colder.
static.ddmcdn.com...

Beyond that, we seem to keep breaking the record for warmest summer or coldest winter every year in these recent times.

Globally, in this year there have been 161 all time highs set and 74 all time lows.
In the past 365 days there have been 168 all time highs set and 92 all time lows.
www.ncdc.noaa.gov...

That's a pretty dramatic difference.

Yes, pretty dramatic, indeed. What's to come as a result of all of this warming? Already there is flooding and powerful storms…is a food shortage on the horizon? Will there be a population increase of Mosquitos as a result of sitting water? So many questions …

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

So is this one of their computer models that's just as broken as the others they put out? I remember more than a few times where the model over time is shown to not reflect reality. They were surprised about sea ice growth, temperature dropping instead of rising, polar bear habitat and so on....I just don't trust the climate models Anymore because all of the lies and corruption of scientific data.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Here's another link that I found:

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I think worry about climate change is misdirected and takes our collective eye off the real problem ball: pollution and Eco-destruction.

Earth is getting hotter, sure, but so are the other planets in the solar system. Decreasing our carbon footprint man not make much of a difference. In the wonderful book 'what on earth evolved' the event of the first ice age because of rampant overgrowth of a water plant is recounted. Nature can deal with temperature extremes

Our big worry should be the poisoning of our environment with metals, pesticides, preservatives and medicines. The earth will survive that. We won't. The scope of the metal toxicity issue is far greater than anyone in the medical field is willing to contemplate.
Worrying about CO2 levels strikes me as a nice tune for violin and fire.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join