It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tanzania evicting 40,000 people from homeland to make room for Dubai royal family

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   

40,000 Masai people will be evicted from their homeland in Tanzania, because the Dubai royal family has bought it with the intention of using it as a reserve to hunt big game. Last year, the Tanzanian government had resisted the purchase, proposing instead a “wildlife corridor” dedicated to hunting near the Serengeti national park. However, the deal will still reportedly go through, and the Masai will have to leave by the end of the year.

The deal was brokered by the Ortelo Business Corporation (OBC), a luxury safari company with a number of elite clients.

The Guardian’s Africa correspondent David Smith has the story:

Masai representatives will meet the prime minister, Mizengo Pinda, in Dodoma on Tuesday to express their anger. They insist the sale of the land would rob them of their heritage and directly or indirectly affect the livelihoods of 80,000 people. The area is crucial for grazing livestock on which the nomadic Masai depend.

Unlike last year, the government is offering compensation of 1 billion shillings (£369,350), not to be paid directly but to be channelled into socio-economic development projects. The Masai have dismissed the offer.

Samwel Nangiria, the coordinator for the local Ngonett civil society group told Smith that he never thought the government had considered canceling the deal, rather, they just wanted to fool the international press into believing they might. “I feel betrayed,” he said. “One billion is very little and you cannot compare that with land. It’s inherited. Their mothers and grandmothers are buried in that land. There’s nothing you can compare with it.” Nangiria also said that those who opposed the hunting ground were in danger– many were killed by police and Nangiria had received personal threats.

www.salon.com...#
Klik^ for the rest.

Man not sure where to put this as it doesn't involve U.S politics but I predict civil unrest just the same for if folks like the Masai still have their martial ethos then expect trouble.I hope they hunt both the Dubai Royals hunting on their lands and their government who sold them out.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
it doesn't really matter, i mean they are just poor people after all...
I hope those Masai people decide to go all "the most dangerous game" on those rich people's @sses

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

40000 people....well i am sure that will go down well....isnt it awesome a world where the royals believe themselves to be above the commoner......

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: Spider879

40000 people....well i am sure that will go down well....isnt it awesome a world where the royals believe themselves to be above the commoner......

Yes even in other peoples lands.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I hope those 40.000 pick up arms and eliminate those royals.
f**k em for thinking they are better than another man/woman

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   
What utter horsesh**. They ought to be ashamed, but obviously aren't, so piss on them. Hopefully literally (that'd be a hoot, ha!) I can't imagine a bigger slap to the face than having your homeland snatched away like that. They may have a kindred spirit in the Native Americans, seeing as how they had theirs seized too. That could be beneficial legally to a point I'd hope... If not, there's a BTDT shoulder to lean on.

People all over the world go to great lengths to protect places like the Amazon tribal lands from seizure, they need to step up & help these people, too.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annunak1

Here here!

If I had the money id arm them myself and pay for people to train them.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
So where is the UN in all this mess? Don't they protect aboriginal cultures as part of our world heritage? Of course not, it's only a show and where the money flows so too goes their morals. What a shame these simple people who live in harmony with their environment are being abused like this. All to satisfy the big game hunting desires of the Dubious Dubai "royalty".
I suppose enough money can buy one titles these days as well as the ancestral homelands of complete foreigners. If these people get a spear in their ass ends I won't be crying over it. Happy hunting - Masai warriors.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

The lands are to be sold off to the Ortelo Business Corporation (OBC), a luxury game-hunting outfit reportedly set up by an official close to a United Arab Emirates royal family. The company has operated in Loliondo for 20 years, catering to such high profile clients as Prince Andrew and the royal families of Dubai and Abu Dhabi, whose 747s touch down on a private airstrip.

source

so apparently the land was sold to a company that deals with customers and gets paid and has been operating over there for 20 years.

its not that im with this action , not at all , im totally against it , but we shouldn't blame the customers , the government that sold the land should be blamed , and the company that made the deal.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE

The lands are to be sold off to the Ortelo Business Corporation (OBC), a luxury game-hunting outfit reportedly set up by an official close to a United Arab Emirates royal family. The company has operated in Loliondo for 20 years, catering to such high profile clients as Prince Andrew and the royal families of Dubai and Abu Dhabi, whose 747s touch down on a private airstrip.

source

so apparently the land was sold to a company that deals with customers and gets paid and has been operating over there for 20 years.

its not that im with this action , not at all , im totally against it , but we shouldn't blame the customers , the government that sold the land should be blamed , and the company that made the deal.

I agree the government is totally at fault here first where do they get off selling peoples land that they had been living on for hundereds of yrs way before there was a nation called Tanzania which is roughly 50yrs old,the arrogance and audacity of the Royals I am also at odds with but the greed of the government sickens me even more.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
They need Pro Bono representation and an international court to halt this.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE

source

Actually, I do blame the customers. They are the ones wanting this hack, and I don't see any of them protesting the company or government's actions. They are as complicit in this as the government and Ortelo. And given the company is in cahoots with the royal family....

Sure the government is partly responsible, however, Tanzania isn't exactly a rich country, and money makes poor nations do stupid crap.

Not only are we talking about tens of thousands of native people being forced from their homes, their culture, livelyhood, and way of life being swept away, but the fact that this is also being done so some rich pieces of crap can go kill wild animals (many of the endangered) for fun and to brush their already inflated egos. The Arab countries could care less about the environmental devastation in their own countries, so you know they aren't going to respect or abide by any law that limits what they can hunt.

I really hope that some legal action is taken to stop this before it starts.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Annunak1

Here here!

If I had the money id arm them myself and pay for people to train them.

If we could somehow tie the royal family to the TEA-Party, or Syrian Government, the U.S.-Gov. would do it for you !

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
just wondering where the Tasmanian government found that land and by what authority now selling it
and wondering that for every gov of any country anywhere in the world
how do we "own" a piece of land ?
isn't completely arbitrary ? and isn't most of the time by force ?

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I can't help but notice the Liberals are deafeningly silent on this matter. Funny how they will jump on the US governments ass because we send some troops on a peacekeeping mission, but nope, the Muslim Royal Family buys land half a world away that leads to the eviction of 40k locals and nothing, not a god damn peep out of the Hypocrite Liberal Left. Can't go on criticizing Muslims because it would be racist or something.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: chuck258
I can't help but notice the Liberals are deafeningly silent on this matter. Funny how they will jump on the US governments ass because we send some troops on a peacekeeping mission, but nope, the Muslim Royal Family buys land half a world away that leads to the eviction of 40k locals and nothing, not a god damn peep out of the Hypocrite Liberal Left. Can't go on criticizing Muslims because it would be racist or something.

What the hell are you babbling on about?
What has this to do with one's political leanings? Are "Liberals" supposed to introduce themselves as such and declare a political affiliation / leaning before posting, just so idiots like yourself are clear about it and the presumed political context of their viewpoint?

Here ya go then, being massively anti-war, anti-government etc, I am usually branded a liberal. So, with that in mind, my take on this is that bunch of rich jumped up towel wearing goat molesters want people removed from their land so they can go shoot things, and it's completely disgusting. Is that a good answer for you to analyze and pigeonhole in some warped political identity stereotyping game?

edit on 503Fri, 21 Nov 2014 05:04:57 -06000430500000014 by Britguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: chuck258

But but but...I thought everyone here knew I am a lib so much so that I can legally be classified as a progressive.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   

There's no such thing, furthermore Tanzania hasn't done anything illegal even if such a concept as an international court did exist. Regardless of who has the right to use the land, the state still owns the land. If the individual owned the land, it would be a sovereign entity and not within the states borders.

What you're talking about is simply not an applicable concept as far as nations are concerned.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   

There's no such thing, furthermore Tanzania hasn't done anything illegal even if such a concept as an international court did exist. Regardless of who has the right to use the land, the state still owns the land. If the individual owned the land, it would be a sovereign entity and not within the states borders.

What you're talking about is simply not an applicable concept as far as nations are concerned.

(post by Nicorette removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join