It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gays should avoid 2022 World Cup in Qatar

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Gays should avoid 2022 World Cup in Qatar

So reading the title of the article, all I can say is WOW, but obviously there is more than the title.

If you are a gay soccer fan and love the World Cup, watching at home on TV would be highly recommended over traveling to Qatar, where gay sex is illegal. Comments by the country's sports minister to the Associated Press did little to calm the sense that gays aren't welcome.

Qatar, leading the way in intolerance. Well what did we expect anyways? It's the middle east.

Asked how gay people will be welcomed in 2022, Salah bin Ghanem bin Nasser al-Ali replied: "It's exactly like the alcohol question."

He said Qatar doesn't want to create "this impression, illusion that we don't care about our tradition and our ethical values ... We are studying all these issues. We can adapt, we can be creative to have people coming and enjoying the games without losing the essence of our culture and respecting the preference of the people coming here. I think there is a lot we can do."

Does this sound like just noise to anyone else or is it just me? If Qatar was truly looking to adapt they could tolerate gays for the short period of time that they'll be in their country enjoying a sports pastime.

The reference to the "alcohol question" was his reply on whether beer sales will be allowed at stadiums in the country where alcohol is severely restricted. "In the hotels and many areas we have alcohol but we have also our own system that people need to respect," he told AP. "As we bid for 2022, we will respect all the rules and regulations by FIFA. We can study this and minimize the impact on our people and tradition. I think we can be creative, finding solutions for all of this. But we respect all the rules and regulations."

First off, he equates equal rights for LGBT people with selling beer. And I'm not sure what "creative solutions" can be found for gay people to avoid "minimizing" Qatar's tradition of discriminating against gay people. It sounds very similar to the solution proposed by Sepp Blatter, head of FIFA, the world soccer governing body, in 2010, when he said gays could avoid any trouble by not having sex in Qatar.

It's so simple! Just don't have gay sex. OR and here's a crazy thought, they could just not worry about what people are doing in their hotel rooms.

The next two World Cups -- Russia in 2018 and Qatar in 2022 -- are in country's inhospitable to gay people. Soccer may be the be the "beautiful game," but the people running it are pretty ugly.

Good luck to the fine people in the LBGTQ community who enjoy soccer/football for the next 8 years. I wish you guys well and hope nothing bad happens to any of you if you decide to travel to one of these countries for the next 2 world cups.
edit on 13-11-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Never know what can happen and what attitudes can change in eight years. Look at the United States and its gay marriage bandwagon - eight years ago even Obama was against it. Times they be a changin'.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Fair enough, but for now it looks to be a rocky road for the homosexual community in the soccer world for the next 8 years. Also, keep in mind both Qatar and Russia are WAY more conservative than the US is.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
We always seem to forget that we had laws on the books that effectively made homosexuality illegal in the United States until 2003.

en.wikipedia.org...

Let's cut some folks some slack. Look at Sochi last olympics. With the world watching, even Russia blinks.
edit on 13-11-2014 by AgentShillington because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Of course I know that, I'm just hoping that some consciousness raising will happen in the muslim world in the next eight years. As it is now, in the Middle East or Russia, gays are seen as third-class citizens, treated like it, and many must hide their true selves in order to "pass" as straight ("Did you see the caboose on that guy, ah, no, no, I meant on that lady, the one in the burka there"). I wouldn't bet this would change in eight years, but stranger things have happened (at least once).

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

I think you'd have a better chance of the Muslim world to stop persecuting Christians before they stopped persecuting gays.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Why would anyone want to go over there to the middle east and tell those people what to do? (Ring a bell)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I have a hard time believing that in a country that is dictated by peace and tolerance through their religion would not welcome gays.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: gorsestar

Who's telling them what to do? I missed the memo where voicing dissatisfaction in one's actions was the same as telling them what to do.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I was under the impression that gays should probably stay out of the majority of those countries, in that part of the world, for the foreseeable future.

Sad state of a affairs, but I'd rather be alive then out and proud during a soccer event..

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Gays can visit there.

Just don't have sex.

It's pretty simple.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Gays can visit there.

Just don't have sex.

It's pretty simple.

Would you like someone telling you what you can do in the privacy of your room?

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
It might be a better idea if everyone avoided Qatar in 2022. Drinking will be an issue, hot women in tight clothing will be an issue....the heat will be an issue for players as well.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Christians are our brothers in the eyes of Muslims & Allah, as taught by the Quran.

Don't blame Muslims for Christian persecution, blame extremist Arabs who do not follow the teachings of "their" religion.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

In my country or theirs?

Their rules, then I'd abide by them.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I actually blame the middle eastern governments for not cracking down on the extremists or outright sanctioning it. But because of this, the extremism has become rampant throughout the religion. Not that all are like that though.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

I agree, the majority of their governments are backwards.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

I agree, the majority of their governments are backwards.

Says the guy with a royal family.

Just funnin' with ya.

All governments are backwards.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington

Nice come back.

Although our Monarchy has no say in the political/governmental arena.

Which is a shame if you ask me.

But let me not derail, this is about Gays not being allowed to have sex in Qatar.

edit on 13-11-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
If Gay people shouldn't go, then none of us should go.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join