It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why cannabis will never be legal in the UK

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: illuminnaughty

They don't so much force you to swear on the Bible anymore, they ask you to swear and probably could force cooperation by way of holding you in contempt of court should you refuse to do so. That's a whole other kettle of religious fish most judges wish to avoid like the plague these days.

That being said not doing so is not going to impress any jury or judges and will most lightly have a significantly detrimental effect regarding the outcome of the case in your favour. In other words, you being the defendant, a guilty verdict would most lightly ensure and probably a more severe sentence.

edit on 22-10-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-10-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I understand this thread may be monitored due to the subject so if what I say breaks the t&c's mods please edit/delete this reply

OP I say you got just had a crap touch with the law and you had the idiots cops that can't see sense, still what happened to you is stupidity over the top especially paying more because you worked. Fact that you are working proves you're arnt robbing old ladies just to get your next fix if you get what I'm saying.
I had a more nicer brush with the law when stopped with a gram or so. We were originally stopped as we (me and my friends) because we fitted the description of 3 people breaking into cars. They smelt the weed and I owned up, witness was driven past us in a blacked out car and said it weren't us who they saw. The officer thanked us and said he wasn't worried about the quantity and said he had better things to do. Believe that story if you like it happened. But that's only time in 12 years have I been stopped

It does take the piss though
edit on 22-10-2014 by ThePeaceMaker because: Spelling

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

I get where you're coming from and agree with your opinions in general. I should probably add through that people who partake in the consumption of said herb are far more lightly to be helping old woman across the street than robbing them for their next fix.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Thefarmer

Stop using it and you won't have a problem. You want to be a slave and give up your freedom and money for something you know you can do without? I'll screw them by opting out. I suggest you do the same or be prepared for fighting a losing battle.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Cannabis used to be a class C substance, and police had a little leeway when a person was caught in possession. They tended to turn a blind eye if it was a small amount for personal use, preferring to go after the dealers and/or people in possession of significant amounts.

In 2005, as part of the governments election campaign, it was reclassified as a class B substance, in order to pander to the "daily mail" type of voter. The reclassification meant that the police had a lot of their leeway taken away, and sentences were increased.

Police can issue a warning, or on the spot fine of up to £90 for a first time possession offence, providing the amount possessed is less than some amount I can't remember. For subsequent offences or first time possession over a specific amount, they have to prosecute.

You are a user, you openly admit this. Its perhaps appropriate that you familiarise yourself about the laws and potential penalties for your habit, which is presently illegal under Section 5(1) of the 1971 Misuse of Drugs Act. I will say again, if you are going to knowingly break the law, you need to be aware of the potential charges and penalties that could be levelled against you. Just because you don't agree with a law, does not invalidate said law. The Crown Prosecution Service will charge you regardless.

You lost a days wages, for knowingly breaking the law. You in effect, chose this, by choosing to use a class B substance.

A closing comment, you state that the fine was £305 + £12.50 for 3hrs parking, and state that the total amount that it cost you, a sum of £317.50, is in the "high £400's". £317.50 is in the low £300's, still bloody expensive for a smoke, but not in the high £400's.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Drug use - particularly cannabis - is declining in the UK. This is why it won't be legalised. Many people try drugs, but for the vast majority it is a passing phase. The act of experimenting is becoming less frequent.

Regards

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I don't know about drug use in general regarding the UK being in decline. Possibly people are using more designer drugs than ever before rather than the more conventional ones normally at hand. Cannabis however will always be available simply due to the fact that under the correct environment it can be grown in this country and sold for profit. That's just supply and demand im afraid.

I should also point out that Tobacco consumption in the UK is most definitely in decline due to e cigarettes and associated products becoming far more wide spread and acceptable. Do you think TPTB will stop selling Tobacco? If so i imagine there would be rioting on the streets and revolution in the air.

www.theguardian.com...

edit on 23-10-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Drug use - particularly cannabis - is declining in the UK. This is why it won't be legalised. Many people try drugs, but for the vast majority it is a passing phase. The act of experimenting is becoming less frequent.

Regards

Thats a joke right?

Amount of people looking at the USA and seeing how pot is not the evil life running drug the government said it was and now trying it is going up.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

The trend in drug use in the UK is downwards, regardless of a blip. The trend is on an obvious downward trajectory.

DRUG USE UK

Drugs will always be a part of society, but the norm is for young people to experiment and then give it up as they grow older. Policing has also changed, perhaps in recognition of this, and if you are caught with small quantities of drugs "for personal use" you'll probably get a warning. Only if you get caught repeatedly will it become more serious. If you are a dealer of Class A/B, then you are scum and deserve prison.

www.gov.uk...

On tobacco. This is legal and probably won't be illegal. However, very few young people take up smoking and it will soon be a niche habit. The reduction in smoking has been because of the well published fact is detrimental to health and the extortionate cost! Most people are pleased they don't need to breath other people's smoke in pubs and at work!

Regards

edit on 23/10/2014 by paraphi because: fix link

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   

I don't know where you got that pearl of wisdom, but you could not be further from the truth with regard to cannabis and cannabis related products.

Do you have a particular source you'd like to quote (that isn't from a gutter press tabloid) maybe?

Rev

edit on 23/10/2014 by revmoofoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

What about if you are an owner or share holder regarding Tobacco company's, should not those people also be considered scum and deserve prison, considering Tobacco kills more people in a day than Cannabis ever has?

Most people don't understand there very basic freedoms are being removed on a daily basis under the guise of there security and well being, nothing could be further from the truth. As to consumption of Tobacco in pubs and clubs IMHO that should be at the owners discretion.

Regards to you also buddy.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Your complaining about being punished for breaking the law. You likely knew you were breaking the law.
I get that you don't like the restrictions on marijuana use but as of now you are guilty as charged. All I can say is do what you can to get the law changed.

Although I personally do not agree with our laws on Cannabis, they are the laws of the land and as such we should abide by them, or at the very least if we choose not to then accept the consequences if caught.

Korg.

edit on 23-10-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   
The legal system is a joke.
I think you've been treated really badly.
There are groups that are trying to fight for it to be made legal but not enough people join these groups.

After reading the OP I did a search and found a group called " Clear-uk ".
I don't know how to post links but just google the name.
They are saying that there is a debate next Thursday in the house of commons and are urging people to write to their MP.
There is a template letter you can use.
I think everyone who is for it should write to their mp`s and also join groups.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Korg Trinity

I cant in all good conscience follow totalitarian nonsensical laws imposed by governments that have hidden agendas and/or motives and refuse to do so. If that makes me a bad person in the eyes of the law then so be it!

End of the day our governments breach, bend and break more laws in a day than the average Joe ever will.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

I cant in all good conscience follow totalitarian nonsensical laws imposed by governments that have hidden agendas and/or motives and refuse to do so. If that makes me a bad person in the eyes of the law then so be it!

End of the day our governments breach, bend and break more laws in a day than the average Joe ever will.

If you do not want to abide by the laws of the land then you are more than welcome to go else where.

Though I highly suspect if you did you may find the grass is not greener on the other side....

Korg.

link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

This happened to me and a few of my mates when we were young, a big group of us used to hang around and the police stopped us once, searched us all and found nothing but found a little bit of weed on the floor by the wall. They demanded to know who's it was or they would arrest all of us. No one said anything so they took 5 of us at random to the police station.

Funny thing is when we got there the Sergeant asked one of the officers who brought us in what we were in for, he showed him the bit of weed and the Sergeant just looked at him like he was an idiot and said "You brought in 5 kids for a little bit of weed?", didn't look too happy as we had to take up 5 cells for an hour.

link   
It won't become legalised because of the daily mails relentless moral panics, but I imagine it's still popular, especially with the growth of dark web sites like the Silk Road and the increased popularity in home growing. It's possible now to avoid the scum dealers and go somewhere reliable. There is also increased popularity in legal highs. So people are moving away from the traditional ways of obtaining and taking drugs or doing it themselves or something different. There certainly isn't the counter culture around these days that existed when I was growing up, although it seems the younglings still have a taste for the booze though

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

"If you do not want to abide by the laws of the land then you are more than welcome to go else where."

Why would I do that i was born here. The country kind of belongs to me as much as it does anyone else including our oppressive Government leaders that make said nonsensical laws.

I think I will just continue to do as I have always done which is exactly as i please to with in reason.

3 small rules to live by, take what you do not have, have what you cannot take, and never hurt anyone that's weaker than yourself. The rest as they say is Chicken soup(easy).

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Korg Trinity

If you do not want to abide by the laws of the land then you are more than welcome to go else where.

Baaaaa Baaaaaa Baaaaaaa goes the sheep

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Korg Trinity

Baaaaa Baaaaaa Baaaaaaa goes the sheep

It takes intelligence to notice Intelligence....

Korg.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join