It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Government Has Ebola 'Do Not Fly List' Of Exposed People: Report

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
According to a report I just read in tne international business times, the US government through the department of homeland security and the transportation security agency have a 'no fly list' for individuals exposed to ebola. This has only been confirmed via a reporter that works in the Dallas/Fort Worth area at a local TV station, using his twitter feed.

The implementation of the 'no fly list' will limit or restrict a persons ability to travel via air, it does not say if it will restrict travel via any other mode of public transit. Having said that, one would think the most obvious thing to do would be to introduce restrictions or limitations at the source of the outbreak, instead of waiting for it to spread and then putting restrictions on everyone else.

So in other words, individuals flying from affected countries are still free to enter, while people in the US after being infected, are put on 'no fly lists'. Sounds bass ackwards to me.....

Also to add, it does not include any information on whether or not affected countries will be added or barred from entry.

Source

The U.S. government reportedly has a "no-fly" list of people who have been exposed to Ebola for whom air travel is to be limited or prohibited. The list is being implemented by the Transportation Safety Administration and Department of Homeland Security, according to Lauren Zakalik, the WFAA-TV Dallas/Ft. Worth reporter who first reported on the existence of such a list via Twitter.

Another thing is, how and when will someone be put on the list, when they are suspected of having the virus or after they show symptoms? Will they have to wait 21 days to get cleared before being taken off the list? And how the heck do they define exposed?
edit on 16-10-2014 by Daedal because: edit

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
First of all : "bass ackwards"...beautiful.
that being said, this whole ebola story has been handled in all sorts of messed up ways.
In other posts i often told people that it was mostly hype, over reaction, that we should stay focused but not act like it's the end of the world...but reading how america is managing it...keep calm yes, but don't be careless.
it really seems like they WANT this to spread.
"We will allow it in, but make sure it spreads in a relatively contained urban area so then we can..."
what? test a new agent orange type thing?
America once again has proven to be the world's most powerful country...only in Hollywood movies.
can't find WMD's
took a decade to (maybe) find osama
collecting the whole planet's emails and calls didn't help stop the boston bombing or that misogynistic spoiled brat from shooting up his school...even if he posted his plan on youtube.
and now the ONE job should be containment, and yet you allow people infected to travel around freely

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

Seems this should have been put in place as soon and they discovered all of those who had contact with Duncan.

Then, Vinson would never had an option to fly whether she had a fever or not.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Incredible. Just incredible. Is everyone in government incompetent? They have to be.

What happened to this country? Stupid rules the day.
edit on 10/16/2014 by Restricted because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

The implementation of the 'no fly list' will limit or restrict a persons ability to travel via air, it does not say if it will restrict travel via any other mode of public transit.

People who have been exposed to the virus are barred from all public transportation now.

CDC Director Dr. Thomas Frieden said Wednesday, "She should not have been on that plane," and many Americans have expressed fear that she could have spread the disease, and anger at authorities for not having a system in place to stop her from flying and endangering other people, according to CNN. Frieden added that Vinson violated guidelines for travel after Ebola exposure and added that the CDC will stop such people from flying in the future.

"Because at that point she was in a group of individuals known to have exposure to Ebola, she should not have traveled on a commercial airline," Frieden said, according to ABC News. "From this moment forward, we will ensure that no individual monitored for exposure undergoes travel in any way other than controlled movement," he said, referring to non-public transportation such as a private car or chartered flight.

www.ibtimes.com...

This sounds more like an "industry protocol" than an actual law.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

It should be COMMON SENSE. If you have been exposed and/or are on a self quarantine/watch for Ebola .. then don't freak'n travel. Don't go through busy airports and, for crying out loud, don't fly! People shouldn't be asking and/or waiting for the government to tell them they can't fly. They should have enough brain cells to figure that one out for themselves.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Yes, you would think a nurse would know better. Apparently not.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

It should be COMMON SENSE. If you have been exposed and/or are on a self quarantine/watch for Ebola .. then don't freak'n travel. Don't go through busy airports and, for crying out loud, don't fly! People shouldn't be asking and/or waiting for the government to tell them they can't fly. They should have enough brain cells to figure that one out for themselves.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

It's ridiculous isn't it?

There is obviously a serious lacking in the common sense department.

Think about it...2 medical professionals, a doctor (Dr. I really need soup) and a nurse (nurse wedding planner) both traveled after being potentially exposed.

These woman are educated yet, have absolutely no common sense.

It boggles my mind.

And the lack of common sense on the CDC's part is even more mind boggling. Why didn't they have this no-fly thing implemented from the beginning.

It should have been no-fly, no travel from the very start. Period!
edit on 16-10-2014 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
They've instituted 'fever checks' at some airports, but even if someone was on a no-fly list they could travel on buses, trains, private cars or trucks, hitchhike, etc., to get to a city which has a major ebola hospital (Emory University in Atlanta could be a destination). And "issuing" a law to restrict any private travel is only as good as the person traveling.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
They've instituted 'fever checks' at some airports, but even if someone was on a no-fly list they could travel on buses, trains, private cars or trucks, hitchhike, etc., to get to a city which has a major ebola hospital (Emory University in Atlanta could be a destination). And "issuing" a law to restrict any private travel is only as good as the person traveling.

Thus far, the only people in the United States who have been exposed to ebola have been health care workers. If they know that they have had contact, they should simply not travel by public transportation.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

That is exactly how it went for me. I said, don't worry, this is something that can be contained, and this is the US, we have better sanitation and medical facilities. Everything is going to be fine!

And then I saw how it was being handled. It looks deliberate. The people in charge (whoever that really is) seem to want it to spread. I no longer feel like everything is going to be totally fine.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I had a feeling they we going to go in this direction.

Also I'll bet my house, that there is one risk nurse Pham and the others that have been exposed to Ebola, never imagined, possibly not being able to work in the field they studied, ever again. I can guarantee they will ALL be discriminated against for the rest of their lives because they have contracted Ebola (cured or not).

On a side note, detection dogs could be potentially trained to spot Ebola. Dogs can already do it for cancer and can specify the type too.

well.blogs.nytimes.com...
edit on 16-10-2014 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Don't these people read up on stuff they might deal with? Are they in it for the paycheck? Why the hell didn't they know what to do?

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: boohoo

On a side note, detection dogs could be potentially trained to spot Ebola. Dogs can already do it for cancer and can specify the type too.

Not a good idea, dogs can contract and transmit ebola:

Although dogs are susceptible to Ebola, the CDC concluded that "infected dogs are asymptomatic", meaning that they do not develop symptoms. During the early phase of their infection, however, they can spread the disease to humans and other animals through licking, biting, urine, and feces. However, the good news is that once the virus is cleared from the dog it is no longer contagious. Dogs do not die from Ebola infections.

source

edit on 16-10-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
Don't these people read up on stuff they might deal with? Are they in it for the paycheck? Why the hell didn't they know what to do?

Yes, some of them are in it for the paycheck. Some "health care workers" actually refuse to get vaccinated!

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

WEll this comes after the public outcry of concerned citizens after the Nurse traveled on Frontier airlines to see her family in Ohio and jeopardized everyone on the return flight to Dallas on the 13th.

One member posted that if this is a responsible person dedicated to saving lives what a mess we will see of people who just don't care about others.

A no fly ban would be like Moses and the 10 commandments, if people were just simply conscious, there would be no need, but people need commandments.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

Not a good idea, dogs can contract and transmit ebola:

So you have a better way of screening thousands of people at airports?

Also, detection dogs have likely already been exposed to Ebola anyway.

This is a segment of canines, that have been potentially exposed to the disease, from the very start of this outbreak, that NO ONE is looking at and likely won't be anytime soon, which includes ALL military dogs, working police dogs, the DHS Beagle brigade and contraband detection canines stationed at airports AROUND THE WORLD!

These dogs are on the FRONT LINES, inspecting cargo and passengers whom could be carrying Ebola. In fact these noted, very expensive, working dogs and their handlers have potentially had the longest period between their first exposure, YET, they CONTINUE to interact with the public on a daily basis and not ONE government official has thought to examine, euthanize or quarantine these cohort of dogs.

Who is currently caring for the military and police dogs that have screened bags and passengers at the airports? Could these "high value" dogs have been exposed to Ebola? Possibly, but I doubt they would be euthanized as quickly, but hey, according to government officials, its ok to euthanize "low value" civilian dogs with FAR LESS exposure potential to the disease.

If government officials had spared that Spanish civilian dog, much would have been learned, assuming the right steps were taken.

BUT, make no mistake, the military dog, working police dogs, the DHS Beagle brigade and and contraband detection canines stationed at airports ARE FAR MORE LIKELY to have been exposed to Ebola at this point and are the REAL potential carriers. FAR more than ANY civilian owned dog, but EVERYONE wants to focus on dogs that have been exposed to individuals, whom have not always proven to be carriers yet.

People who supported euthanizing these dogs keep asking, "Are you willing to bet your life and your love ones for a dog?". Well, military and police dogs are already doing that and since they are in the public, both their handlers and administrators, are betting the lives of the general population without anyone's consent.

I make the above statement solely to point out HYPOCRISY, not to lay out a realistic transmission scenario. FYI, this thought comes from experience I had working with academic epidemiologists who studied the SARS outbreak a decade ago. My roles was the GIS mapping and yes, working dogs and handlers exposed at airports were included in the scenarios we mapped.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

I LOVE your smart idea. How to propose it to the authorities? get this idea outthere.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

originally posted by: Restricted

Yes, some of them are in it for the paycheck. Some "health care workers" actually refuse to get vaccinated!

The sixth extinction.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Well, they could put this into use:

In some embodiments, the decontamination system may include one or more sensors capable of detecting presence of certain contaminants. This detection may be performed automatically, for example, after activating the system. The sensors may be configured to identify particular strains of the flu, the Ebola virus, tuberculosis, hemorrhagic fever, and/or any other contagion. Furthermore, an operator or other systems may supplement information about people previously present in the aircraft compartment (e.g., passengers), prior uses and/or locations of the aircraft, identify generalized symptoms of common infectious diseases without identifying a particular strain, and other like information. For example, the presence of an elevated body temperature, coughing, sweating, and other symptoms may indicate the presence of an infectious disease and may be supplied to the decontamination system for analysis.

High temperature decontamination of aircraft compartments
US 20140271347 A1

top topics

<<   2 >>

join