It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola: Controlling the Information Flow

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

What?!?

Show me documented proof where Ebola spread through the air.

Honestly I feel I'm wasting my time but....

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: boogeywoogey

What?!?

Show me documented proof where Ebola spread through the air.

Honestly I feel I'm wasting my time but....

I really dont know how this is hard to understand........

the FLU isnt airborne, Flu particulates can travel through the air from someone with the flu to someone else or to a surface in which its picked up by another person and contracted.......

Ebola is the same way......

It lives in the bodily fluids, .and can be passed the same way...

I repeat its NOT airborne......Its can be passed the same way the flu is passed.......

The whole point is the Media and CDC are trying to down play the whole thing.........

I heard a radio segment today that actually said you had to come into contact with their vomit or have them basically bleeding out on you to get it.......I live 40 miles west of Dallas, what they are telling people down here to try and downplay the implications is a LIE

Again im not saying pack your bug out bag.....

But it helps to know the TRUTH and take the proper precautions

edit on 10/8/2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Okay so you know more about it than the 'CDC'. (rolling my eyes)

Influenze is an airborn disease. Ebola is not airborn. Relax.

It's okay to be wrong. You learned something. You should be happy.

Take care.

edit on 8-10-2014 by boogeywoogey because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Okay so you know more about it than the 'CDC'. (rolling my eyes)

By flu is an airborn disease. Ebola is not airborn. Relax.

It's okay to be wrong. You learned something. You should be happy.

Take care.

I didnt say I knew more then the CDC , but weve already seen the CDC down here try to hide many of the facts in the case, and handle this whole thing in the most preposterous way.....

If you consider the FLU airborne then you might as well consider Ebola the same, because it can be spread by particluates through the air coughing , etc......the flu does not live in the air

And im not wrong.....take your own advice

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

You sound a little paranoid.

I don't think the 'cdc' is hiding anything they just don't want to create unnecessary fear which seems you are intent on creating.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

You sound a little paranoid.

I don't think the 'cdc' is hiding anything they just don't want to create unnecessary fear which seems you are intent on creating.

No , I sound like a guy whose bringing the facts out just like many here on ATS have done......

If that bothers you then I suggest you stick to the news websites to get your "facts"

Theres nothing paranoid about being armed with information.......

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I meant no offense but I am waiting for anything you can provide stating Ebola is an airborn virus.

Facts are facts this is something to be informed about but you act as though it's a pandemic that will kill millions of people which is false.

If you want to worry about something worry about ISIS.

Take care.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: boogeywoogey

Do you have a source or link that states what the CDC thinks about creating fear?

edit on 8-10-2014 by drwill because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-10-2014 by drwill because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

There are a number of experts that think airborne droplet transmission is possible. Here's a recent article, for starters: Some Ebola experts worry virus may spread more easily than assumed

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I meant no offense but I am waiting for anything you can provide stating Ebola is an airborn virus.

Facts are facts this is something to be informed about but you act as though it's a pandemic that will kill millions of people which is false.

If you want to worry about something worry about ISIS.

Take care.

Im not offended at all.........

And I repeatedly said its NOT airborn..........so either you arent understanding what Im telling you

Or you are deliberately trying to make it out like im saying something im not.......

from my previous post

I repeat its NOT airborne....

I dont know how much more i can break that down for you to comprehend what im saying

you act as though it's a pandemic that will kill millions of people which is false.

No im acting like the correct information needs to be made available to people so that ignorance doesnt turn this thing into a pandemic......

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
wait wait wait... I think I missed something or maybe I misunderstood the original post... did it just say in lay mans terms that there will be no new information unless it is verified by those 3 countries first? If that is what it says then now I'm pretty worried.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

The job of the CDC is also to control panic. Panic would disrupt the society we live in and actually could cause more problems than this disease over a time.

If there is a major threat, the CDC will let us know. Right now the problem is not even close to an epidemic threat, an occasional case does not mean it will spread like wildfire. We have to take many things into consideration when analyzing this stuff. Would it be advisable to quit your job and move somewhere else with such a slight chance of getting infected? Definitely not. But people should have knowledge of this disease and if they get sick with similar symptoms they should have it checked out. I'm not going to be going to the doctor for flu like symptoms, but if I start coughing up blood or have symptoms and my heart goes into overdrive, I will go. Hopefully this does not become a major threat in the USA.

I do think that travel to the effected area should be restricted though. I don't understand why our country does not restrict travel over to that area. People should not be going over there to vacation right now.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Hey, boogeywoogey, is this sufficient?

From the WHO:

Avoid aerosol-generating procedures if possible. Wear a respirator (FFP2 or EN certified equivalent or US NIOSH-certified N95), if any procedures that stimulate coughing or promote the generation of aerosols (e.g., aerosolized or nebulized medication administration, diagnostic sputum induction, bronchoscopy, airway suctioning, endotracheal intubation, positive pressure ventilation via face mask) is planned to be performed.

Another warning about 'aerosol-generating procedures.'

Activities such as micro-pipetting and centrifugation can mechanically generate fine aerosols that might pose a risk of transmission of infection through inhalation as well as the risk of direct exposure.

Wait a second, I thought that it could NOT be caught "through inhalation?"

And if it's so hard to catch and easy to kill, why this for cleaning procedures?

¤ Environmental surfaces or objects contaminated with blood, other body fluids, secretions or excretions should be cleaned and disinfected as soon as possible using standard hospital detergents/disinfectants (e.g. a 0.5% chlorine solution or a solution containing 1 000 ppm available free chlorine)11. Application of disinfectants should be preceded by cleaning to prevent inactivation of disinfectants by organic matter.

¤ If locally prepared, prepare cleaning and disinfectant solutions every day. Change cleaning solutions and refresh equipment frequently while being used during the day, as they will get contaminated quickly (follow your hospital protocols if available). For preparing chlorine-based solutions, see instructions in Annex 6.

¤ Clean floors and horizontal work surfaces at least once a day with clean water and detergent. Cleaning with a moistened cloth helps to avoid contaminating the air and other surfaces with air-borne particles. Allow surfaces to dry naturally before using them again.

¤ Dry sweeping with a broom should never be done. Rags holding dust should not be shaken out and surfaces should not be cleaned with dry rags.
all emphases mine

Why all the emphasis on making sure to not produce a circumstamce wherein airborne transmission could occur if the virus can NOT be trasmitted via the airborne route?

Interim Infection Prevention and Control Guidance for Care of Patients with Suspected or Confirmed Filovirus Haemorrhagic Fever in Health-Care Settings, with Focus on Ebola
August 2014

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Controlling the information flow.

Controlling the disinformation.

Controlling the speculation.

Controlling the lies.

Controlling....

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
a reply to: soficrow

So would that mean that the immune system actually causes an over reaction and eventually death?

Yes. Like bird flu, Ebola kills with a cytokine storm - by pushing healthy immune systems into hyperdrive - and making your body kill itself.

….The terminal phase of Ebola is the “cytokine storm,” which occurs when the immune system begins attacking every organ in the body, bursting blood vessels and making the infected person bleed both internally and externally, through the eyes, vomit, and diarrhea.

Into the Eye of the Cytokine Storm

More here: Ebola's Cytokine Storm: Protect Yourself

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

...I am waiting for anything you can provide stating Ebola is an airborn virus.

The scientific definition for "airborne transmission" is very specific: "Airborne spread among humans implies inhalation of an infectious dose of virus from a suspended cloud of small dried droplets."

In contrast, Ebola and flu spread in the air via moist -not dried- particles, but definitely have the ability to spread via aerosol transmission - the moist droplets just do not hang out in the air for very long and aerosol transmission is not efficient. However, Ebola does have the ability to infect lung cells.

Researchers from the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg showed that airborne Ebola in piglets infected macaque monkeys, leaving evidence of infection in the monkeys' lungs. Worrisome because macaques and humans are genetically close.

Marburg and Ebola viruses as aerosol threats.

....(Marburg and Ebola viruses) are highly infectious as respirable particles under laboratory conditions. For these and other reasons, filoviruses are classified as category A biological weapons.

Lethal experimental infections of rhesus monkeys by aerosolized Ebola virus.

....Demonstration of fatal aerosol transmission of this virus in monkeys reinforces the importance of taking appropriate precautions to prevent its potential aerosol transmission to humans.

Could Ebola now be airborne? New research shows lethal virus can be spread from pigs to monkeys without contact

....It was previously thought the untreatable virus, which causes massive internal bleeding and multiple organ failure, could only be transmitted through contact with infected blood.

But now Canadian researchers have carried out experiments showing how monkeys can catch the deadly disease from infected pigs without coming into direct contact.

...The virus is known to be transmitted through direct contact with the blood or secretions of an infected person, or objects that have been contaminated with infected secretions.

...Experts say this extreme virulence is its weak spot. The virus can be contained because it kills its victims faster than it can spread to new ones. However, if the disease is now airborne it could make containment more difficult.

....Researchers at the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg deliberately infected six piglets with the ebola virus and put them in pens where macaque monkeys were housed in wire cages.

Within eight days all four monkeys caught the virus through indirect contact, according to the study published in the journal Scientific Reports.

...large droplets of moisture containing the virus were being exhaled with the piglets' breath.

'They can stay in the air, but not long, they don't go far,' he told the broadcaster. 'But they can be absorbed in the airway and this is how the infection starts, and this is what we think, because we saw a lot of evidence in the lungs of the non-human primates that the virus got in that way.'

Further work is needed but the findings are worrying as macaques are close genetic relatives to humans, said the researchers.

CDC

... influenza patients produce aerosol particles containing measurable amounts of influenza virus while coughing. Further, 65% of the viral RNA was contained within particles in the respirable size fraction. Our study was also able to demonstrate that at least some influenza patients expelled airborne particles containing viable virus.

edit on 8/10/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: drwill

Do you have a source or link that states what the CDC thinks about creating fear?

of course not but i do have common sense, do you have common sense?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostsock
wait wait wait... I think I missed something or maybe I misunderstood the original post... did it just say in lay mans terms that there will be no new information unless it is verified by those 3 countries first? If that is what it says then now I'm pretty worried.

Yes, that's almost exactly what it says. More precisely: "There will be no new information unless those 3 countries first agree on what to say." And Liberia is definitely locking down their info - although the WHO is admirably discreet about the situation.

WHO: Ebola Response Roadmap Situation Report
8 October 2014

The total number of confirmed, probable, and suspected cases (see Annex 1) in the West African epidemic of Ebola virus disease (EVD) reported up to the end of 5 October 2014 (epidemiological week 40) is 8033 with 3879 deaths. Countries affected are Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and the United States of America. A confirmed case of EVD has been reported in Spain1, but because the case was confirmed during the week ending 12 October (epidemiological week 41), information on this case will be included in the next Ebola Response Roadmap update.

The past week has seen a continuation of recent trends: the situation in Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone continues to deteriorate, with widespread and persistent transmission of EVD. Problems with data gathering in Liberia continue. It should be emphasized that the reported fall in the number of new cases in Liberia over the past three weeks is unlikely to be genuine. Rather, it reflects a deterioration in the ability of overwhelmed responders to record accurate epidemiological data. It is clear from field reports and first responders that EVD cases are being under-reported from several key locations, and laboratory data that have not yet been integrated into official estimates indicate an increase in the number of new cases in Liberia. There is no evidence that the EVD epidemic in West Africa is being brought under control, though there is evidence of a decline in incidence in the districts of Lofa in Liberia, and Kailahun and Kenema in Sierra Leone.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
So is this the equivalent of the ministry of information? Are we now just going to see Ebola propaganda telling us that everything will be fine and that there is nothing to worry about? Sounds like they don't want the real details to surface otherwise there would be no need to control the flow of information and clear anything.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Sorry - not really back. Will be just re-appearing off and on. Am a bit worried that the "Ebolavirus Pathogen Safety Sheet" from Canada -which used to be reliable- is still being promoted as good and "updated." It still has some good stuff but but it was modified for political reasons in August and all the scary stuff was removed. Notably the "airborne" warnings.

Scientists working in Level 4 Bio-labs refer to these sheets to determine safety protocols - changing them to reflect political agendas is not just totally irresponsible, it's downright dangerous. ....Please share this information whenever and wherever you can.

Date Modified: 2014-08-22

Canad ian Scientists not shielded from political interference from feds: report

Federal scientists muzzled by media policies

Want to Talk to a Scientist in Canada? Don’t Look to the Federal Government

If you want to talk to a scientist in Canada who works for the government, you might be in for a long wait. That’s the takeaway from a new report that grades the communications policies of 12 Canadian government agencies, which found that many current policies hinder “open and timely communication” between government scientists and reporters, and do little to protect scientists’ free speech rights.

....Many scientists and Canadian political leaders have expressed significant concern about inappropriate pressures on government scientists. The Canadian Information Commissioner is looking into allegations of the “muzzling” of scientists, and surveys have found that scientists don’t feel that they can speak out even if public health is at risk. Scientists have gone so far as to hold protests in front of the Canadian parliament.

New rules restrict government scientists from speaking to media

Harper’s attack on science: No science, no evidence, no truth, no democracy

The Canadian War on Science: A long, unexaggerated, devastating chronological indictment

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join