It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Experience With Sciatica

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Attention all posters:
Go see a chiropractor that does "flexion/distraction" technique. It will probably take a few weeks. Do it, its worth it to try, it works far better than almost anything else out there. You don't have to live with it. This is a slow low force treatment that is not a "cracking" type.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Great post snarl. I had a bout with sciatica that lasted a week. An "Agrivation" the doctor at the E.R told me. The pain hit me so hard and so fast, without a fall or noticeable injury that I thought I had angered a voodoo doctor. I was on vacation and in a hotel when it hit me while asleep. Talk about a pain in the butt. (Sorry, I couldn't help it) So morning comes. I am laying on my back on the bed FACING the wall with my legs extended upwards towards the ceiling because that seemed to be the only position that I wasn't in tears. Well it's time to drive back to Baton Rouge from Kansas City. Wasn't going to happen. I called the front desk to see if they had a wheel chair. Now this is the Crown Plaza, a very nice hotel. You would think they would have one. They didn't. So, my wife and I make our grand entrance to the lobby with me laying on a luggage rack. You gotta do what you gotta do. They load me into the back of the Suburban where I at least could lie on my back and off we go to the nearest E.R. Now, how all of you that suffer from this condition chronically is beyond my comprehension because at the time I would eaten a turd if you told me it would make the pain go away.
After an excruciating wait in the E.R., A shot of Demerol (which I found I was allergic to, but that's another story) and a myriad of tests the brilliant doc told me that in his opinion I had "aggravated my sciatic nerve" and I would not be driving home in the near future. I have tried to describe the pain and don't think I have done it justice. If "Dante esque" is a word, that seems to be a good one for it. What's wierd about it is that even though every move hurts, you will move your legs and body around like adjusting a t.v. antenna to find a comfortable position.
Well to put a short story long, I was given an enormous shot of prednisone with a script for a Medrol Dose Pack and some pain killers that seem to have erased about two days of my memory. When I was coherent once again the pain was gone and I prayed and continue to pray to this day that I never "Agrivate" my sciatic nerve again.
edit on 2-10-2014 by Spader because: Spelling

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
i don't know if this has been mentioned previously in the thread

i too have been diagnosed with sciatica, lower left back through buttock and down left leg,

In February this year i had an episode that made me crawl on the floor screaming like a little child, i was unable to walk properly for about 3 months and the first month i was in a wheelchair my left foot constantly numb.

Then my uncle told me to buy a book .. it was only 6.99 on amazon ( i have recently found that it is available for free online but i will not post a link here due to poss copyright issues)

its called

'robin mckenzie's' treat your own back

It addresses mechanical issues, and mainly posture NOT muscle issues, i own a lot of books but its the best i have ever bought, Phsio made it worse , drugs just mask the pain i also believe this is what stardust is proposing at the top of this page , flexion/distraction.

no cracking , no stupid hard exercises every 10 mins all day ...

since starting the technique found in the book i have seen a rapid improvement and although i get twinges in back and leg i can mostly control and improve my condition

i would have spent $699 for this book not just 6.99 so i highly recommend anyone diagnosed with sciatica to try this first (search for the free version online) google '7 steps to a pain free life pdf' the robin mckenzie back stuff is chapter 3-5 i believe the rest of the book addresses neck issues etc

or if anyone needs it i have the PDF and if you send me a msg i will gladly send you a copy.

The techniques are recommended by the NHS in the UK.

Good luck

I know what the pain is like don't give up hope

Q

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Every one I know who have had surgery recommend against it. They may have a few years of relief, but it always comes back and usually worse than the first time around. Most of those folk also went the shot route and say it was also a lot more temporary than advertised.
a reply to: TDawgRex

Back surgery? Run Away Run Away!!
I didn't have sciatica, I had spinal stenosis, due to narrowing of the spinal canal and it had gotten to the point that I was losing control of my legs, bladder and bowels. It was cutting off the signals to control everything below the waist. Surgery was the only fix. I had a cage fusion and as far as pain, it's a friggin' nightmare. Only go the surgery route if it's the last resort. You may feel better for a few years, but the pain catches up with you eventually. And it's pissed that you got away for so long.

www.orthop.washington.edu.../articles/spine/spinal-stenosis.html

Spinal stenosis is a fairly common problem caused by constriction of the spinal cord or nerves exiting from the spinal cord. This can occur in the neck (cervical) as well as the lower back (lumbar) and on rare occasion, in the central (thoracic) spine.
The symptoms associated with central stenosis (or stenosis of the spinal cord) are usually an aching in the legs, loss of balance, or loss of bowel and bladder control.

Wanted to add this. For the longest time, I thought these were just a gimmick. Another snake oil cure that would be a waste of money. I was wrong. You don't have to hang at a 90 degree angle, completely upside down, just a 45 that stretches your back and decompresses the spine. Worth Every Penny.
teeter-inversion.com...
edit on 2-10-2014 by DAVID64 because: add

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I have to say I was shocked and had to reread the title when I saw the word "Sciatica" on ATS.

I'll share my story with you guys. I started a new job and moved from an active job where my only time seated was driving short distances (The rest of the time I was lifting, carrying and generally "doing" stuff on my feet with my hands) to sitting down all day long. Not 3 months into the job I began with the shooting and burning pains down my butt cheek which progressed eventually down my thigh, calf and at worst the top of my foot. I don't need to go into the dibilating pain, stuck in bed for days, can't sit down/drive etc etc...

Visted the Doc - prescriptions and sick notes for about 6 weeks until I said I need it fixing not pain management. After a 10 session block at the chiropractor the he prescribed I was feeling great. I was diagnosed with a prolapsed disc around the L5.

Jumping forward to one of the many relapses in the future the Co-Codamol wasn't managing the pain anymore and the Diclophenac was eating my stomach so I swapped out on to Tramadol and Valium which was a great little cocktail. Straight back to the chiro for more sessions, this time at my expense as the NHS (our Obama care) decided they would no longer treat back issues and I revisted the Doc and basically said 'enough is enough' so I was referred for an MRI.

It turns out that my L5/S1 is torn hence the prolapse but the consultant said that as I had managed to walk in to his office for my results I was waaay down on his list and he felt surgery wasn't an option.

I began managing my pain by going to the gym and thrashing it out on a cross trainer - 6 miles a day and I found it was strengthening my core which kind of seemed to pull everything back in place.

I've had so many relapses though and ironically they all seemed to be just before a major milestone in my life. 2 weeks before I got married - 2008 - (walked the aisle with a back brace - and turned up at Dubai airport and scared the bejesus out of all the security as I walked through the scanner with a belt velcroed around me under my shirt! Oh how we laughed). Then 2 weeks before each of my kids were born 2010 & 2011. Then the latest was 2012 which happened to be 2 weeks before I lost my Dad to cancer. this was particularly hard work as I have no one to blame but myself as I was squatting at the gym and popped it. Dad was in a bad way and needed help out of bed and to the bathroom as he was too weak for Mum to help alone.

I managed to grit my teeth and help him anyway - it's like there was just somthing in my brain that managed to block the pain. I could feel the pain REALLY bad but it didn't "hurt" - does that make sense?

My worse ever episode was when it was taking me 30 mins to get out of bed to get to the bathroom (thank god for a strong bladder). When I was getting back in to bed I completely blacked out and ended up flat on my back on the floor. I woke to find my wife freaking out as she thought I'd died. It took 2 Tramadol, 2 Valium and 2 hours to get back up!

Anyway - jump forward and I've not had a relapse since (touch wood) and I've managed my weight and lost 24lbs which also seems to have helped.

Anyone that hasn't experienced Sciatica will ever truly appreciate the pain it causes. It takes the term "bad back" to a whole other level. Unfortunalty I think there must be some sort of pill or training course available at Management School that prevent these people from ever getting Sciatica as it's normally management that give you crap and moan about the time you have to take off.

Or when you're out exercising you're just "enjoying the time off work" and "taking liberties".

In fact I think I've just discovered the cure for Sciatica - BECOME A MANAGER!!!

Anyhoo - I always sympathise with folk who tell me they;'re suffering with it - and laugh at those who ridicule it.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
What was the name of the medication you were prescribed? I am suffering from grade 2 Spodylothisis and am about to have epidural injections to stave off the constant pain. I am (nearly) desperate to fine a treatment that will not involve spinal surgery! Also, did you try any Inversion Therapy?
Thanks

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: jaytmoon

Sorry. I don't have the name of the medication.

I'm not altogether familiar with inversion therapy. As part of this treatment, my doc prescribed physical therapy, part of which required lying on a treadmill like device with wooden rollers. There might have been a couple of degrees of tilt, but I honestly don't recall at this point.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

If you can find the time and the space in the pool, give swimming a four week trial and see if it helps. The breast-stroke increases the symmetry of your muscle movements and seems to lessen the sensitivity of the sciatic nerve.

As the sciatica worsens, it begins to dictate how you sit, move, lean, walk etc. This eventually creates more distress to the nerve/sheath and the compensation of motion becomes more pronounced or limited altogether.

The swimming countered this by realigning the hips and stretches, in the pool, strengthened the surrounding muscles too. It'll work alongside any conventional treatment.

One other thing I noticed was leaving back pockets empty helped too. Stuff like wallets seem to rub against the sciatic nerve.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

That's probably an outstanding method of prevention. A lot of folks have mentioned core strength being key as well.

I am not in the shape I once was. I don't know if that's helpful to note or not. It hasn't come back ... and I'm just thankful for that.

As for swimming, I used to dive extensively, even during the period of time I was afflicted. I don't recall ever experiencing a flare when I was in the ocean. I also can say that I didn't swim much (if ever) during the three or so years preceding my first consultations. What you say may be something people in this thread may want to take special note of.

Yours was one of the accounts I kind of latched onto while watching this thread develop. You've gotta pay attention when someone says, "I had it too ... and this is what worked for me."

Thanks for the follow-up. I always appreciate exchanging dialog with you.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   

You touch upon one of the things that pissed me off about sciatica and that's how broadly it's applied as a diagnosis. We could all have 'sciatica' and all have different causes for the same symptoms.

We rarely get to find out where it starts or why. Is it impacted vertebrae? Is it posture? Too long in a desk job with a bad chair? Wallet in back pocket? New car seats? Genetic? Inherited? Lack of core muscle?

In that light, one man's swimming cure could make the sciatica of someone else worse.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I have dealt with sciatica off an on for the last 12 or so years. One technique that helps relive some of the pain I when I do this stretch.
I lie straight on the other side that doesn't have pain. I put the arm of the non pain side under my head and the hand of the pain side right where the central point of pain is. I draw the knee of the painful side up to my chest and then simultaneously while pushing on where the pain is (upper bottom) I try to lower the shoulder from the pain side that is currently in the air to the ground. Aim for trying to touch the ground with your shoulder with out twisting your lower half in anyway.

I suck at explaining things so I hope this makes sense. It isn't a cure or a treatment but it does relive some of the pain and pressure while you are lying like that by taking pressure off the nerve. It isn't a fum position to stay in long, but if you need immediate reduction in pain, this helps.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
it sucks to the max.

everyones advice is great. I've been in the throws of it this last week since driving across country.
The T band needs releasing.
I get pain up to the shoulder blade that triggers the neck and then all the way down to my ankle.

Discovering the pressure point releases will save your life. Hurts like a b*tch to press on it, the ankle one can make you want to pass out, but it works.
Stretching works and when the inflammation goes you MUST do sit ups, crunches and stomach muscle work.
I notice I get i when I slack off and my back holds my spine up instead of my abs.

Hugs to all of you.

ETA Pressure Points. I do this myself.
You can do it yourself by rubbing your leg as below indicates and ankle if you cant get to a therapist.
Ankle pressure point release is the dark green bit outer ankle of the side leg you are in pain on. S1 nerve. Mine is just below the knuckle bit, believe me when you press around there and you yelp you'll find it! Dont push on it for more than a minute in the morning and the evening.
RUb the leg for as long as you need.

also press and rub as below.

edit on 3-10-2014 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Do you remember the name of the medication?

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I am a massage therapist and through my years of practice I have encountered many cases of sciatica.

If it is proper sciatica, the pain usually shoots down the leg, sometimes to the knee, or down to the foot.

If the pain is usually felt only at the glutes, it may very well be what it's called "Piriformis Syndrome." Piriformis is a muscle which crisses the sciatic nerve at the glutes - sometimes it will impinge the nerve and it is misdiagnosed sometimes as proper sciatica.

A good massage therapist would take care of the piriformis syndrome within a session.

Massage therapy is useful as well for sciatica proper, as it might relax muscles along the sciatic, muscles which tense as a result of pain and in doing so, worsen it.

A member has posted some photos with pressure points for the sciatic nerve - they are the right ones, as far I know, especially the ones around the calf. One should press as shown for about ten seconds and then release. Repeat as many times possible.

Now, I always suggest my clients to take a few supplements, provided they do their own research on them.

When it comes to "repairing" the myelin (not melanin, as it was mentioned
)sheath, ginger is one of the best ingredients out there.

Together with curcumin and hyaluronic acid, they go a long way toward joint and nerve health. I'd add cold pressed, unrefined coconut oil for good measure.

And lastly, a simple exercise anyone can do anywhere: Stand against a wall, heels, shoulders and head touching the wall. Squeeze your glutes and extend forward your midsection away from the wall, while heels shoulders and head are still in contact with the wall. Then release and go back to the first position. Repeat at least ten times in one go. Then repeat wherever whenever, the more you do it the more effective it will be.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Hi there, OP, and others. Thanks so much for sharing your story - I have never heard of such a treatment, but it does make some sense. I also have found a LOT of relief from Sciatica, but without any doctors, not directly, anyway. Mine began around age 20, and progressed up and down into my 30's, when it began to cut off the nerve supply to my right leg and became more and more debilitating. No therapy of any type helped and I tried them all. Finally, I went to the church on a week day and asked the reception person if I could go in and pray (regular, Christian mega-church type church). I went to the front, knelt down and begged God to help me - I took it to "the man", because no man out there was having much luck and I was seriously at the end of my rope. I was already disabled by Lupus and going through the beginnings of kidney failure, plus raising to VERY difficult children on my own. I was stressed and perplexed. So, knowing I had laid it down at the altar, I left. The next day, my apartment tub needed refinishing and they told me to leave for 8 hours to avoid the toxic fumes. I didn't now where to go so I decided to go to the B&N book store down the road since you can find a chair and read and relax. I walked in and decided the most interesting topics to me would be "back pain" and Lupus. I picked up a book on back pain, titled "Mind Over Back Pain", written by an orthopedic doctor. He has helped thousands and now does seminars going around sharing how to relieve sciatica, especially. I read the book and began to absorb his ideas pretty quickly, and like magic, within ten minutes, my sciatica began to fade. To this day it has never flared to that degree it was, and I believe I have the secret to controlling it. A small percentage of the time a physical cause will flare it slightly, but the majority of the time, it is actually a psycho-somatic complaint - mental tension is actually being diverted into the muscle (the gluteal area) which this nerve passes through from the spine to the back of the leg and down. This causes the friction that irritates the nerve, and it gets really agitated. The more it agitates the more you focus on it, the more you focus on it (and not what really bothers you or challenges you - or whom - in life) the worse it gets - a vicious cycle. I immediately identified the triggers in my life, and it was funny because even recently I'd been telling my very demanding toddler boy to please pipe down, he was "making my back hurt", lol.

The gist of it is that we live in a society where we can tend to go through some stuff, deal with some stuff, or people, even those we care about a lot, that really gets to us. But, in our "polite" civilized society, it is not something we do to vent all of this and just flat out say how we REALLY FEEL about it all, down to the nitty gritty. We are told to be positive, brave, suck it up, not complain, bear with it, dah dah dah - you get the idea. We tend to STUFF a LOT of stuff in to our subconscious, where it is ignored and not brought out into the light of our true feelings being identified. If we can really do this, and tell our minds that "NO, you are NOT sending that issue into my back/muscles as tension - I am going to DEAL with it and be REAL about it", then the pain isn't necessary any more as a distraction. It is diverted tension, basically. This doctor discovered this after treating thousands of patients and noticing a similar personality and other traits that seemed to follow with persons who specifically were prone to sciatica. He finally realized it might just be something about the way these types of people dealt with things, or didn't deal with them and "stuffed" them inside that could cause it to turn into the back pain. Once he taught them how to circumvent this process - many found quick and long lasting relief, as I did - and as a side benefit, a much healthier way of dealing with reality. I myself instituted this process by sitting down, if the back pain kicked in, and actually thinking of every single thing about my life that ticked me off, was hard, unfair, not the way I wanted it, disappointing, etc. It is actually cathartic to be REAL about it and doesn't make me depressed or angry. It actually validates me and helps me to keep on going and dealing with this stuff, like giving yourself a hug, haha.

And the second thing that I came across recently that for SURE took away the tension in that area and has even more greatly reduced the inflammation there and all over my body - getting up toward 50 so I'm feeling it now - in the joints, etc. That discovery is what is called "Earthing" or "Grounding". This literally is the break-through of my LIFE when it comes to wellness. It has been for so many others. I made my own grounding mat with a sheet that is under my bed sheet and I sleep on it at night, plus I grounded some of my shoes. My balance, sleep, physical pain, recovery, energy level, mental functioning, attitude, so many things are changed, and continuing to. The effect is cumulative and begins to improve for up to a month after you begin, and maintain. I could actually physically TELL when the grounding wire to my mat/sheet had come loose as the benefits began to leave and I knew I should check, and sure enough, the thing was loose and needed to be better attached. I will not go into too much detail here, I will just put some video links for the interested parties. I highly recommend this to everyone, for health, and pain relief, and wellness. It puts our bodies back in the state they were created to be in on this Earth. This is something we lost when we began to live in unnatural environments and wear rubber soled shoes, etc.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: saintinwaiting

Very true, if one wants to go deeper the rabbit hole into the esoteric, all physical disease is a manifestation of psychosomatic cause.

One needs to address the whole, for any condition. But most people won't delve into that, they need tangible, physical orientation to make sense of themselves and their condition.

This being said, one cannot however dismiss benefits of simple treatments, be they in the form of exercise or supplementation. This shows intent, and intent can affect the state of an ailment.

As long as one does something to improve their state of health, be it mental or physical, this will greatly improve their condition.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I have been suffering for over 5 years now.

6 months ago a Doctor i work with suggested i try Apple Cider Vinegar to reduce my cholesterol levels naturally as i can't take statins. He said he had a colleague in Hong Kong who was having great results with it. I bought a bottle and was about 6 weeks into taking 2 tablespoon every night when one day i thought....oh my god, i haven't had any back pain or sciatica for over a month when it used to be daily.

I typed into google "back pain apple cider vinegar" and was astounded at the amount of people saying the same thing. IT WORKS.

A few times i have run out but once i miss say 3 days in a row, the radiating pain is back. I now buy 2 bottles at a time as its becoming so popular the supermarket sell out every week.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: bellagirl

Couple more things as well....

we have just finished winter here in Australia. This is the first winter i have not even had a cold let alone a flu. I didn't have the flu injection either this year. I work in a hospital and usually pick up something every year.

After 3 years of having chilblains every winter i have not had one episode this winter.

Below is a picture of the one i take. It must be the cloudy one which contains the "mother".

sorry....for some reason the pic wont upload.

edit on 4-10-2014 by bellagirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: bellagirl

Apple cider vinegar, unsulphured with the "mother" is very beneficial for a multitude of conditions.

I'd use some precaution when it comes to long term use, as it might affect calcium density in the bones, especially in women.

When one has an acute condition, two tbs of it mixed with warm water, lemon, honey to taste and cinnamon ( one might want to add a pinch of baking soda, as this will reduce the acidity of vinegar,) is quite theraupetic, even when taken three times a day. A ratio of four days yes, three days no, or five to two, is suggested in taking it - the days off are meant to give the liver a break.

Otherwise and for general maintenance, one to two Teaspoons of it mixed in a tall bottle of water and sipped throughout the day will do the trick.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Ubei2

I dont add the honey or anything else to it.

I take about one and a half tablespoons in a half cup of water only once a day nearly everyday.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join