It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Health officials to board ship docking in N.O. tonight?????????

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

1 However, laboratory work indicates mosquitoes are unlikely to be transmitters of Ebola virus. 2 If we know enough about the mosquito species and their breeding habits we can sometimes manipulate mosquito populations by altering water levels in the wetlands. 

From a google scholar search summary of:

Mosquitoes and People: Environmental Ethics Concerns

edit on 17-9-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: space, man

edit on 17-9-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
well its been 24 hrs,,

They might want too double check the "its just Malaria" angle.

news.sl...

She thought it was Malaria,,as well.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
so what's the news on this. Oh, okay, i'll go search for it myself…
tetra

edit on 18-9-2014 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

eta: NEW ORLEANS —A crew member who fell ill on a ship from Africa is diagnosed with malaria, Jefferson Parish Councilman at Large Chris Roberts said Wednesday night.

NO TRACE OF EBOLA ON NEW ORLEANS-BOUND SHIP, CDC INSISTS
Marine Phoenix identified as ship from Africa with sick crew
In a statement released late Wednesday night, the Centers for Disease Control stressed that crew members on a freighter inbound to New Orleans were suffering from malaria and show no traces of Ebola.
MORE
(img6)Raw video Sick crew from African ship taken to hospital
MORE
RAW VIDEO: SICK CREW FROM AFRICAN SHIP TAKEN TO HOSPITAL
Raw video Sick crew from African ship taken to hospital
Raw video: Sick crew from African ship taken to hospital
MORE
PLAQ. PARISH PRESIDENT: 1 TAKEN ON SHIP FROM AFRICA TAKEN...
Plaq Parish president 1 taken on ship from Africa taken to hospital in critical condition
Plaquemines Parish President Billy Nungesser said at least one person was taken from a ship that arrived from Africa to the West Jefferson Medical Center, where he was listed in critical condition. Others from the ship may be transported, Nungesser said.
MORE
The crew member was taken to West Jefferson Medical Center for treatment. At least three more crew members, plus the river pilot who boarded the ship, were also expected to arrive at the hospital Wednesday night.

The crew member with malaria was listed in critical condition, Plaquemines Parish President Billy Nungesser said before the diagnosis was made.

Read more: www.wdsu.com... z3DjBlp0EG

edit on 18-9-2014 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: judydawg
It sounds to me like they suspected something pretty serious. Just so we are being thorough, an Ebola test takes longer than a few hours to process. And, it would be possible for someone to have malaria and Ebola, right? So they could be giving us half the truth. I live not far from new Orleans and depending on the size of the crew, they might be shipping them my way. Seriously?!
Furthermore, the CDC lately has been lazy about testing possible Ebola patients. They ask if they have been to the hot zone. Being that most Africans are terrified of doctors and quarantine, who is going to say yes?! I would have been more likely to believe this garbage had they waited a few days for test results. Not too many come back this quickly. And since they are rushing to label it, it has to be really bad. Malaria is horrible but it is treatable, is it not? If they manage to spread Ebola through this, I will wonder if they don't want us all to die.
And many parts of New Orleans are such that Ebola would spread quickly in the city. People aren't super clean or careful. Neither are they where I live.
Mosquitos die? Whatever. Not happening. I've left a mosquito in my car for a week and the bugger was still alive without me having opened the door for an entire week. Boy was he hungry though!!!
The major cities do spray (truck or plane) and there is always OFF but let's be real, if they are hungry enough, OFF doesn't always work. They seem to find the one place you missed.
The cdc's job is to protect American citizens from infectious disease/viruses. We cannot be transferring every ship of sick foreigners to our hospitals for treatment. We have a doctor shortage as it is. I'm not saying don't help them. Do it offshore, on their ship. With space suits.
I'm not a greedy American. We pay taxes for them to protect us. They have a duty to us. Yes, I care about my fellow human beings, but we cannot import every single person in the world that could use help that we could provide. We would collapse like any other country under the weight of that.
I want us actively fighting Ebola in Africa but I don't think we should be encouraging people with infectious diseases to come here for treatment. If we manage to import it soon, whatever hope Africa had for us to help them will be gone. I guarantee the politicians here will get the goods. Everyday folks will be toast. In Africa and here. That includes me.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
So the ship is from Liberia and also visited the Congo. Lovely. Probably pulled up around the end of the 21 day incubation period. Not Ebola?! Yeah, right.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Crew member died in Bahamas a few days ago. Would malaria be effecting them this quickly and would the river pilot need to be brought in too if he had just boarded the ship for a few moments? There are things that can be given to patients for malaria. The people without symptoms could be given anti-malarial drugs and would not need to go to the hospital.

Man Dies after being Airlifted to Bahamian hospital
edit on 18-9-2014 by SouthernChick28 because: Link not working cause I don't know how

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

A crew member from this ship died on September 16 in the Bahamas. The doctors there sent a blood sample to the CDC for additional testing even though they said he tested positive for malaria. They knew the ship was coming. I'm pissed they allowed the crew on American soil. They should have to treat them offshore then send the ship back. I cannot believe after someone had just died from the crew that our government allowed them to continue on to New Orleans. Stupid! They want to spread it. They had so many in the crew they had to go to several hospitals. I guarantee there aren't enough isolation wards for a large crew in New Orleans. They will have to send some to Baton Rouge or maybe Houston.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: SouthernChick28

Everything I have read is saying malaria. Like they would tell us.

I just found this not sure if it has been poste yet?

Eight bodies found after attack on Guinea Ebola education team

TextEight bodies, including those of three journalists, were found after an attack on a team trying to educate locals on the risks of the Ebola virus in a remote area of southeastern Guinea, a government spokesman said on Thursday.

[url=http://www.reuters.com...]

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: 2manyholes

He may not have radioed ahead. They were likely tracking the ship and communicating with them after a crew member died in the Bahamas a few days ago.

Please bring a mosquito born parasite to mosquito country. Great minds working at the CDC.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: judydawg
Me too. But I don't get why they are pretending to be surprised by the appearance of this ship when I read that the hospital in the Bahamas was in communication with the CDC and even sent them a blood sample for further testing after the crew member died there.
That's why epidemiologists and CDC workers were already in New Orleans. They didn't come to Louisiana for our gumbo.
They knew the ship was coming and that it was serious.
A person can have both malaria and ebola. One doesn't cancel out the other. New Orleans does not have the facilities to treat the entire ship.
I read an article a few minutes ago that I will have to go back and find. It said the first patient to arrive in new Orleans tested negative for the ebola strain involved in the outbreak in West Africa. Gee, I am supposed to feel warm and fuzzy about the Congo Ebola? And since when can they even get a result on an ebola test in half a day. This smells like a load of...

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
From wwl.com:

The ship's itinerary included Matadi, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), in addition to other ports. Based on a hospital's request, CDC conducted testing on the crew member who died, and the results showed that this crew member was negative for the type of Ebola that is causing the current outbreak in West Africa. Ebola is not suspected as a cause of the other crew members' illnesses. No crew members had known exposures to Ebola.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
It's states that he did in the second paragraph of the opening post in this thread.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: 2manyholes
Yes, I saw that but it also made it sound like the CDC didn't know the boat was coming until he made a call. They were clearly tracking the ship and had made some preparations for its arrival. I still don't get why we couldn't treat them offshore. Unless Tulane's Ebola experts wanted more opportunity to study it since being kicked out of Ebola zone in Africa..
Not saying it is Ebola but Ebola testing isn't that quick. Takes several days and even then false negatives are possible.
Malaria is bad enough but our government is far too quick to bring infectious people into our hospitals. Do they want an outbreak of something horrible?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Doodle19815

just stock up on plenty of canned food and bottled water and get ready to head for the hills for a few months until it plays itself out, in a worse case scenario my friend...thats what i have been thinking about doing anyway, some people might say its overkill, i say its just prudent planning!

I juat pray to god this ebola does not mutate to airborne, its only passed on in fluid at the moment, if it does mutate i think that will be pretty much game over, worse than the spanish flu and bubonic plague mortality rates, the world is such a smaller place now, these diseases can reach all parts of the globe within days!
edit on 19-9-2014 by DARREN1976 because: spelling errors, I am not illiterate, I am working from a tiny wireless keyboard/moue combo' which is about 4" long by 3" high, total! It's a chore and a half!

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677 Yes sir, I am in NW Louisiana but you are so correct relevant to mosquito situation here and the bayou areas. We have a hefty mosquito problem here and in all of Louisiana. The spray trucks have been out in force this summer.

I understand Ebola loves a humid, hot climate and Autumn doesn't come early here mostly. I've had to roast Thanksgiving turkey with AC on high.

There are things that are concerning relevant to the Ebola scares. The ties/connections between Tekmira and then there is Monsanto and Bill Gates involvement. That NIH and others have a patent for the Ebola virus and possible treatment too gives one pause. I worry about "fast tracked/experimental" treatments down the line. Don't like those words put together relevant to shots or meds or some such.

Anyhow, Louisiana would be a perfect place for it all to really take off from. Malaria this time, I hope that is the least of it...which is bad enough.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree with everything you're saying. I also think anyone coming into this country right now from Africa needs to be scrutinized as well as anyone coming across our boarders from Mexico and Canada.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Scary stuff indeed ! ... but on a slightly lighter note search for " Pandemic II " free browser based game on the interwebs,
I have destroyed humanity several times with my version of Ebola

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: SouthernChick28
So the ship is from Liberia and also visited the Congo. Lovely. Probably pulled up around the end of the 21 day incubation period. Not Ebola?! Yeah, right.

my sentiments exactly.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join