It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EBOLA: Suspected and Confirmed Cases Outside West Africa

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Man Hospitalized With Severe Illness In Rahway, N.J. After Visiting Nigeria

newyork.cbslocal.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Ok, I ran across this article today on Science Daily. www.sciencedaily.com...

It talks about the protein in Ebola and how controling it can help.

Now I did a search about this and one of the articles was this. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Now pineapple and grapefruit contain bromelain and this breaks down protein fragments like those in milk in our bodies and can clear up my lousy feeling and headache the next day after indulging in Ice cream. So, is what I am reading showing that bromelain can destroy the spikes on this virus and possibly even some other viruses? Hmmm. no wonder I get cravings for grapefruit around this time of the year and into early winter. Beer and some alcohol are also clarified with bromelain or papain usually. Papain must have a similar effect. Proteinases.

Now, this is a little out of my field of study, I need some help with this to see if my assumption is at all correct. No use asking the Pharma companies, they would rather see everyone give up grapefruit.
edit on 15-9-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
New suspected case in Dallas, Texas. Reported to hospital with high fever and vomitting. Wonder how many ppl he had contact with before going to the hospital,on the plane back from Africa. We have got to stop air travel. It may already be too late.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I am honestly surprised we are not seeing it in a couple of more country's in Africa by now.
So either things like the quarantine of 2 million are working at the moment or other country's are covering it up out of fear they will be cut off.
edit on 30-9-2014 by joho99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: SouthernChick28

I live here in Dallas and it's all over our local news. Some are reporting that the doctors say it's 'likely' he has Ebola but the CDC says the patient is 'low risk'.

The preliminary results should come out this afternoon.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I sure hope they follow up on all contact tracing for anyone he may have been in contact with, as per these guidelines:

If the patient with illness compatible to EVD develops symptoms while on an aircraft, contact tracing must be made according to the Risk assessment guidelines for diseases transmitted on aircraft (RAGIDA) protocol1, which indicates contact tracing of all those passengers seated within 4 rows ahead and 4 rows behind, as well as the crew on board. If the cleaning of the aircraft is performed by unprotected personnel, they should be considered as contacts. Contacts should be assessed in a designated area within the airport according to the airport contingency plan.

Ebola virus disease (EVD), implications of introduction in the Americas - direct link to pdf

Not only that, but they have to treat the plane as a biohazard level 4 contaminated object...

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl

...but the CDC says the patient is 'low risk'.

When the CDC says that it doesn't really mean what most people would likely think it means.

Low1 risk exposures

A low risk exposure includes any of the following

• Household contact with an EVD patient
  • Other close contact with EVD patients in health care facilities or community settings. Close contact is defined as

1. being within approximately 3 feet (1 meter) of an EVD patient or within the patient’s room or care area for a prolonged period of time (e.g., health care personnel, household members) while not wearing recommended personal protective equipment (i.e., standard, droplet, and contact precautions; see Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations)
    2. having direct brief contact (e.g., shaking hands) with an EVD patient while not wearing recommended personal protective equipment.

• Brief interactions, such as walking by a person or moving through a hospital, do not constitute close contact

1 For purposes of monitoring and movement restrictions of persons with Ebola virus exposure, low risk is interpreted as some risk...

SOURCE: CDC

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Just got a Breaking News update that led to this update on Dallas News:

Dallas County health officials on Tuesday told Dallas County commissioners that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is dispatching a team to Dallas in case a patient at a local hospital tests positive for Ebola.

The report was delivered to commissioners after Health and Human Services officials cut short a presentation on the threat of an Ebola outbreak for a conference call with the CDC. Officials said the CDC team would lead the response if test results expected today come back positive for a patient at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas.

In their presentation prior to the CDC call, health department officials sought to downplay the threat of a local outbreak. Health officials told commissioners that they had already begun an investigation to reach out to people who had been in contact with the patient. Officials said the patient had recently visited West Africa and didn't exhibit symptoms until soon after "arriving home."

Christopher Perkins, medical director for the health department, reminded commissioners that Ebola isn't transmitted through the air -- it is passed through contact with blood or other bodily fluids. Officials also assured residents that the local situation is nowhere near as dire as in West Africa.

"In general, the threat is minimal to the citizens of Dallas County," Perkins said.

There have been a number of suspected cases tested by the CDC, but I have not heard of them dispatching a team in response to other possible cases they were testing.

Since the CDC was expected to release preliminary test results this afternoon but instead made this announcement, and since the CDC interrupted a conference call between HHS and the Dallas authorities to tell HHS this, I'm guessing they either have confirmation or really strong reason to suspect that the patient has Ebola. Guess we'll probably hear more soon...

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ikonoklast

Just got a Breaking News update that led to this update on Dallas News:

Dallas County health officials on Tuesday told Dallas County commissioners that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is dispatching a team to Dallas in case a patient at a local hospital tests positive for Ebola.

The report was delivered to commissioners after Health and Human Services officials cut short a presentation on the threat of an Ebola outbreak for a conference call with the CDC. Officials said the CDC team would lead the response if test results expected today come back positive for a patient at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas.

In their presentation prior to the CDC call, health department officials sought to downplay the threat of a local outbreak. Health officials told commissioners that they had already begun an investigation to reach out to people who had been in contact with the patient. Officials said the patient had recently visited West Africa and didn't exhibit symptoms until soon after "arriving home."

Christopher Perkins, medical director for the health department, reminded commissioners that Ebola isn't transmitted through the air -- it is passed through contact with blood or other bodily fluids. Officials also assured residents that the local situation is nowhere near as dire as in West Africa.

"In general, the threat is minimal to the citizens of Dallas County," Perkins said.

There have been a number of suspected cases tested by the CDC, but I have not heard of them dispatching a team in response to other possible cases they were testing.

Since the CDC was expected to release preliminary test results this afternoon but instead made this announcement, and since the CDC interrupted a conference call between HHS and the Dallas authorities to tell HHS this, I'm guessing they either have confirmation or really strong reason to suspect that the patient has Ebola. Guess we'll probably hear more soon...

You know, I thought it was odd that the doctors here were saying it was 'likely' he had Ebola instead of just 'possibly' having Ebola. I have not heard of them dispatching a team on other suspected cases, either. (Although I suppose that could've happened, too)

This is getting a little spooky.
edit on 30-9-2014 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Fox news has confirmed the test results are positive for Ebola. CDC news conference at 5:30 eastern time.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
I sure hope they follow up on all contact tracing for anyone he may have been in contact with, as per these guidelines:

If the patient with illness compatible to EVD develops symptoms while on an aircraft, contact tracing must be made according to the Risk assessment guidelines for diseases transmitted on aircraft (RAGIDA) protocol1, which indicates contact tracing of all those passengers seated within 4 rows ahead and 4 rows behind, as well as the crew on board. If the cleaning of the aircraft is performed by unprotected personnel, they should be considered as contacts. Contacts should be assessed in a designated area within the airport according to the airport contingency plan.

Ebola virus disease (EVD), implications of introduction in the Americas - direct link to pdf

Not only that, but they have to treat the plane as a biohazard level 4 contaminated object...

Treat the plane as a Bio-level 4 hazard…..? How many flights would it have made by now since the arrival of the patient..?? I understand that the virus can remain on solid surfaces for a number of days whilst it's infectivity diminishes…

PDUK

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: PurpleDog UK

He wasn't symptomatic while on the plane. Ergo.. the plane is not a biohazard, it's fine.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit

He wasn't symptomatic while on the plane. Ergo.. the plane is not a biohazard, it's fine.

That's probably true. But I doubt too many people are so certain he was not symptomatic with even minor symptoms and that Ebola is never contagious before someone is obviously symptomatic that they would want to be on that plane sitting in the seat he was in.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit

how do YOU know..?

A virus takes time to develop..... Ebola can be transmitted via bodily fluids INCLUDING sweat.....

You do the maths....

Regards

PDUK

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I updated the Ebola charts with the newest data from WHO published October 1, 2014 and which included data through September 28, 2014. I also added the confirmed case of Ebola in Dallas to the charts starting from the day that he became symptomatic according to the CDC (Sept. 24, 2014).

Here is a link >>> Latest Ebola Charts

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: texasgirl

Excellent catch.

S&

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

originally posted by: Shiloh7
...I worry about people just forcing their way into Europe by way of the boat traffickers etc. ....

What about all the mining executives and supervisors, oil company executives and drillers and etc.? There are HUGE numbers of Americans and Europeans working in West Africa's resource extraction industries. They travel in and out and around freely. Do you think they are immune because they're white? Do you think they are more honest? ....Why are you focused on the illegals, when legal corporate travel represents a MUCH higher risk?

This does bring up a very good question. Quarantine MUST be the only common sense thing to do. At the airports that is.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Here are a couple more possible Ebola cases being treated or tested in the USA:

Possible Ebola case being treated in Washington, D.C.

Possible Ebola case in Cobb County jail in Georgia

--------------------

Edit to add:

There is another possible Ebola case in the Washington, D.C. area. This is not the same as the case above, this is at another hospital:

Shady Grove Adventist Hospital in Rockville, Md possible Ebola case

For the Cobb County jail possible case, the first test came back negative and they are awaiting results of a second test. They just arrested the person last night, so obviously there can't have been much time between tests.

Cobb Co. Jail inmate has tested negative for Ebola
edit on 3-10-2014 by ikonoklast because: Additional possible case, initial test results

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Possible second case in DC:

Possible 2nd Case

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join