It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corps tracks deployment of new sniper rifle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

The Marine Corps is watching closely as U.S. Special Operations Command fields a new sniper rifle designed to provide marksmen with greater range and more stopping power, but officials say there are no near-term plans to procure the weapon for infantry units.

Known as the Precision Sniper Rifle, or PSR for short, the program was led by SOCOM with considerable input from the Marine Corps and Army. The multi-caliber weapon is made by Remington Defense, with whom SOCOM signed a contract in March to purchase an expected 5,150 PSRs over the next 10 years, along with nearly 4.7 million rounds of Barnes brand ammunition

Marine Corps Times
Looks pretty cool don't it... but the best part is---- Drum roll please---

Using a quick-change bolt-head system and interchangeable barrels, it can switch between 7.62mm NATO, .300 Winchester Magnum and .338 Lapua Magnum cartridges.

So how do like them apples?

For Marines, the PSR’s range and heavy-hitting cartridges would likely assuage complaints from scout snipers who say their current M40 rifles and 7.62x51mm cartridges aren’t powerful enough to consistently take down enemies at considerable distance. Scout snipers with 1st Battalion, 1st Marines, out of Camp Pendleton, Calif., outlined these perceived deficiencies in a position paper sent up their chain of command. They shared a copy of that paper with Marine Corps Times, which embedded with the unit in Afghanistan last fall.

So this request for the new PSR is coming from the Scout Snipers themselves.
It seems the M27 and M40 just can't cut it """7.62mm rounds lose some of their lethality past 800 meters""" So they want something less than the big .50 cal to give them a greater effective range.

What do I know... with my eyes I can't even see a target at 800 yards!
below is a photo of the New Marine M27 made by HK

And a photo of the old M40...Still totally Badass after all these years in service.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

Still like my AICS 2.0 better.... it is a real tack driver out to about 800 yards. The modular thing is cool and eventually I will probably upgrade. I really like the Eberlestock setup.

I also run the 700.

edit on 30-8-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

I wonder is this thing uses AI mags? The ability to switch out calibers is really getting me going. I also wonder what scope mount that is. It looks cheaper. Most guys do not use 1 piece mounts.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

Even if I were worthy and capable of shooting well enough to get my hands on a PSR...

this one is way, way , way, way out of my price range... Just the Titan suppressor ---made from Grade 5 titanium and moly-resin-coated--- is "" Titan-QD’s MSRP is $3195.""

that was the only MSRP I could find for this new toy...

A few more details for ya all...

Caliber: .338 Lapua Magnum, .338 Norma Magnum, .300 Winchester Magnum, 7.62x51mm NATO (7.62mm NATO)/.308 Win.
Weight: 13 lbs with 22” fluted barrel and loaded 5-rd magazine, 17 lbs with 22” fluted barrel, scope, bipod, loaded 5-rd magazine, and Advanced Armament Corp. (AAC) Titan-QD Fast-Attach .338 Rifle Silencer/Sound Suppressor.
Barrel Lengths: All calibers are available in four lengths: 27″, 24″, 22″, and 20″.
Overall Lenth (OA Length): 46″ with stock open and extended and 22″ barrel, 36″ with stock folded and 22″ barrel.
Accuracy: 1 MOA vertical dispersion at 1500m (338 LM precision ammunition)
Fire Control: X Mark Pro Adjustable 2.4 – 4.5 lbs drop-in trigger
Magazine: .338 (5-shot and 10-shot), 300 (7-shot), 7.62mm NATO
(10-shot). Teflon-coated.
Stock: Right-folding. Length of Pull (LOP) is user-adjustable from 12.4″ – 14.4″.
Vertical Cheek Adj.: 1 3/4″
Barrel Life: Greater than 2,500 rounds

From Defence News

edit on 30-8-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
If you have this just about any rifle/sniper rifle is adequate.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

to answer your question...

so I'm guessing no...
as for the scope and base... what you see in the photos are the prototype ... in a different photo they show a diff set up...

remember the Marines haven't placed any orders for it yet... but if they do---I bet the Scout Snipers who want this rifle--- will have their own unique set ups yet again.

edit on 30-8-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps

Even if I were worthy and capable of shooting well enough to get my hands on a PSR...

this one is way, way , way, way out of my price range... Just the Titan suppressor ---made from Grade 5 titanium and moly-resin-coated--- is "" Titan-QD’s MSRP is $3195.""

that was the only MSRP I could find for this new toy...

A few more details for ya all...

Caliber: .338 Lapua Magnum, .338 Norma Magnum, .300 Winchester Magnum, 7.62x51mm NATO (7.62mm NATO)/.308 Win.
Weight: 13 lbs with 22” fluted barrel and loaded 5-rd magazine, 17 lbs with 22” fluted barrel, scope, bipod, loaded 5-rd magazine, and Advanced Armament Corp. (AAC) Titan-QD Fast-Attach .338 Rifle Silencer/Sound Suppressor.
Barrel Lengths: All calibers are available in four lengths: 27″, 24″, 22″, and 20″.
Overall Lenth (OA Length): 46″ with stock open and extended and 22″ barrel, 36″ with stock folded and 22″ barrel.
Accuracy: 1 MOA vertical dispersion at 1500m (338 LM precision ammunition)
Fire Control: X Mark Pro Adjustable 2.4 – 4.5 lbs drop-in trigger
Stock: Right-folding. Length of Pull (LOP) is user-adjustable from 12.4″ – 14.4″.
Vertical Cheek Adj.: 1 3/4″
Barrel Life: Greater than 2,500 rounds

From Defence News

The remington chassis alone runs $4100!

It's hard to believe this completed rifle actually weighs LESS than the M40! At 12.1lbs it's not exactly "light-weight" as they claim.

I'm kind of digging the new Omen Pratka
.300 Win Mag AR platform as seen below.

9.5lbs! Semi-automatic? Awesome!

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TiedDestructor

I have shot a 30-06 featherweight hunting rifle
we're talking like 6.lbs

So light the recoil would rattle your teeth and make those little starts dance behind your closed eye lids...

But I not crazy enough to try no lightweight .338 Lapua... that rip your arm off as it screwed you down into ground like a carton cincture

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

1,500 meters ? That's not very far at all

British soldier Craig Harrison holds the record for the longest sniper kill at 2,475 meters.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

we're talking about effective range...
even in the write up for Craig Harrison they admit the weather and winds were perfect for a hail-Mary shot.

but seeing as how his rifle and this both chamber the .338 this one is also capable of too... if everything were just right...

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

British soldier Craig Harrison holds the record for the longest sniper kill at 2,475 meters.

en.wikipedia.org...

Hitting 1500 meter targets consistently and effectively is the idea.

Not every marksman is a Craig Harrison.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

en.wikipedia.org...

Really 1,500 meters is not the far........Do you long range shoot? Do you own a long range rifle?

1,500 meters is the real deal and only trained shooters can make this shot time after time.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

And when you add something like this with it...

Just makes it even better.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Ya most long range guys use a 2 piece setup. Personally I use the seekings 6/4 and a US optics 30 moa base.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I can't ever see 1500 yards away...
unless there's a hot gal dressed in a bikini and holding out an ice cold beer and waving at me...

That I can see...

Probably have a heart attack running over to get said beer and girl but that's life right?

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The pricing will be ludicrous because the items were built for a military contract.

Part of the problem with the current supply chain is that manufacturers see huge dollar signs whenever a military request comes down the pipe. Remington isn't gonna tell the government $15,000 and then sell it to civilians for $5000 which would be much closer to a realistic price for the full package.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps
a reply to: TiedDestructor

I have shot a 30-06 featherweight hunting rifle
we're talking like 6.lbs

So light the recoil would rattle your teeth and make those little starts dance behind your closed eye lids...

But I not crazy enough to try no lightweight .338 Lapua... that rip your arm off as it screwed you down into ground like a carton cincture

Me too. My remington 710 30-06 at 7lbs. It hurts...

I agree on the .338 but these modern day muzzle breaks are ridiculous when it comes to taming them. I've shot a Sako TRG-42 and at 11lbs but but with a great brake it still recoiled similar to a .308. I was very impressed. Good God at the muzzle blast though.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

What makes me wonder about this type of tech is what are the chances a drone could be equiped with these weapons and then used to stratigically take out targets like say a figure in office. Terrorism would take on a whole new meaning if small drones could knock out targets from distances outside protective limits - death from above, with almost no radar signature due to the small size needed to pull it off.
It's thoughts like this that got me banned from FB!
edit on 8/30/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join