It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Angels and Daemons, the philosophy of Plato

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: sacgamer25

The only insanity that I wish to cure is the ones who keep believing bigger guns and wars will solve all the problems.

A path many of us are now embracing
let us hope we can change things sooner rather than later.

Sorry my response was aimed at buzzy wigs, i get very tired of seeing the mental illness argument against almost everything, i find it is a subject heavily misunderstood and taken as an exact science which it most certainly is not.
and if it keeps going they will categorize every human behavior as a disorder of some sort.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: sacgamer25
Jesus claims their is more than one path.

Sounds to me like you have confused religion with God...

They always disagree.

I as a general rule have learned that it's best to believe the opposite of what propaganda is telling us.

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. ~ John 14:6

For there is only one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and humanity—the man Christ Jesus. He gave his life to purchase freedom for everyone. This is the message God gave to the world at just the right time. ~1 Timothy 2:5-6

There is salvation in no one else! God has given no other name under heaven by which we must be saved (JESUS).” ~Acts 4:12

Yes, I am the gate. Those who come in through me will be saved. They will come and go freely and will find good pastures. ~John 10:9

At best, philosophy can only ask the question, “What is truth?”, as Plato did. It tries to answer the question but fails miserably. Jesus is the answer. He is the truth. And He alone is ultimate truth. Furthermore, He is the truth, not one truth among many. These powerful words stand in stark contrast to the silly idea, “That’s true for you, but something else is true for me.” Jesus us the ultimate truth for all mankind. One more thing: Jesus tells us that ultimate truth is personal, not abstract. Truth is a person, not a principle. So, then, the answer to the search for the meaning in life in not merely in right doctrine, but in the right person – Jesus.

Is Jesus Christ The Only Way To God?

'Truth is not a teaching, Truth is a person…' ~ Jan Sjoerd Pasterkamp

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: JokerThe1st

The only insanity that I wish to cure is the ones who keep believing bigger guns and wars will solve all the problems.

A path many of us are now embracing
let us hope we can change things sooner rather than later.

Sorry my response was aimed at buzzy wigs, i get very tired of seeing the mental illness argument against almost everything, i find it is a subject heavily misunderstood and taken as an exact science which it most certainly is not.
and if it keeps going they will categorize every human behavior as a disorder of some sort.

Agree with everything you just said. If man's mental problem has to do with his faith, but is no harm to others who cares. I think that makes him normal, lol..

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

No confusion. The Holy Spirit, Christ Jesus is the way the path.

ANYONE WHO BELIEVES IN THE HOLY SPIRIT, is saved by the one who claimed to be that Spirit. .

Is this confusing?

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: JokerThe1st

what i am getting at is Insanity is a very blurry line to draw anywhere, especially as so much experience in life is subjective to ones own way of viewing things.

As i have also said to others, just because one may not experience life in the same way as another does not make it any less real for the person experiencing said situation.

Yes. "Insanity" IS very blurry line.

And yes, life experience is totally subjective.

Whatever any person is experiencing as life deserves respect, a listener/hearer, and dignity. To be trusted that THEY know what is best for THEMSELVES, and to draw their own lines in the sand, or boxes of belief, or view of the world.

To him/her, his/her experience is real, completely valid, and to be considered with respect. The individual is the best expert on themselves. No One can ever take that away from another human being. People are totally entitled to have their point of view, to think whatever they think, believe whatever, remember whatever, etc etc.

I've known some who say, "I'm insane" (meaning THEY THEMSELVES are insane.) But, I've also met people who say that I (myself) am insane.

Which is it????

I don't know.
Do you???

edit on 8/24/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

"By God's law the unjust never find joy and peace. They live through lust, anger and greed."

Such a formidable statement!

But I would ask, who among us do not live through lust, anger, and greed?

Does that indeed make us unjust?

No. That makes us human, like the primitive animals that we are.

When we are just, our transgressions compel our recompense.

Only then shall we find joy and peace.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
THERE IS more than one path, whether you like (or approve of) it or not.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain where Jesus claims there is more than one path.

I don't believe there are ANY paths personally.

A favorite film of mine, ('The Perfect Stranger') illustrates this point pretty well...

Below is a transcript from the 23min. point:

Nikki: Every religion (Christianity included) they are just different roads to the same place. I mean, everyone is looking for God...

Jesus: Really? Are you?

Nikki: As I was saying: Everyone is looking for God in their own way. That's what I like about my friends' church back home, they embraced everybody's different beliefs and tried to help them on their path to God.

Jesus: There is only one problem with that. There is no path to God.

Nikki: So, what did you mean, "there is no path to God"? Every religion claims to teach the way to God.

Jesus: There is WAY to God, but it's just isn't a path. What I mean is this: A path is something you travel by your own effort to reach a destination. But there is no way you can work your way to God. That path just doesn't exist...

Nikki: Wait a minute... That is what religion is all about: Trying to get to God. How can you possibly say otherwise?

John 14:6–7

6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

1 Timothy 2:5

5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus

Matthew 10:32–33

32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Bible is clear, there is only one way to salvation.

The other path is to judgment but wait, if you don't recognize Jesus guess who is doing all the judging....

John 5:22–23

22 Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, 23 that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Plato was an ancient Greek philosopher that held the Greek pantheon in the highest regards. Unless you intended to post Gods instead of God you've taken Plato out of context. Everything past that point can't get over that question to be pondered.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
Plato was an ancient Greek philosopher that held the Greek pantheon in the highest regards. Unless you intended to post Gods instead of God you've taken Plato out of context. Everything past that point can't get over that question to be pondered.

You should read Plato before you comment on him. The character Socrates often refers to the One God, Even stating that all he learned came from a book., that he bought for one Denarius.

The form of government from the republic comes directly from the livitical code.

Plato believed in the OT God. The allegory of the cave, predicts the coming of the enlightened one who would give his life to enlighten others. He predicted the Christ, because he understood Moses.

The new testament is likely written in Greek because they were waiting for him.
edit on 25-8-2014 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

originally posted by: Murgatroid

Jesus claims their is more than one path.

You just lost ALL credibility right there...

Ermmm, no. He got lots of credibility.
THERE IS more than one path, whether you like (or approve of) it or not.

And WHY exactly would anyone study philosophy to understand angels and 'daemons'?

Because philosophy is the very soul of humankind.

EDIT: Do you honestly not know that British/Traditional spelling is still okay to use?

Hello Buzzywings could you please explain what other paths are available? Then tell me how to get to heaven?

Thanks

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
You should ask if a person has read plato before you make petty remarks.

Socrates himself was told he was the wisest of all men by whom? The Oricle of Delphi certainly isn't in Christian theology. Perhaps if you had philosophy professors as great as mine were you would enjoy the discussion more without having to be so rude.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

How do you know the Oracle at Delphi wasn't filled with the Holy Spirit. You could try debating any of my other claims.

I really don't care where you studied.

Plato used the Iliad and the Odyssey and the host of Greek God's as metaphors. Plato did not believe that the God's were at war, only men.

And whatever he thought about there divinity, he still believed in the one creator God, who created everything. He also believed there was a Spirit within all men guiding them to truth and love.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

You need to review the presocratic philosophers. You are attatching your views because it suits your cause. Don't worry you're in good company. (Or terrible)Augustine did the same, again to suit his cause.

There's so much anger in your words I doubt you'll take this advise. However, when you find information you find interesting in philosophy, please consider that Philosophia is the love of knowledge. That entails knowing rebuttals of the argument are going to come. That is part of philosophy. If you can present both sides and then your own opinion on them well. Then and only then will you be a good philosopher.

Right now you're just a jerk with an agenda.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Jesuslives4u

Hello Buzzywings could you please explain what other paths are available? Then tell me how to get to heaven?

Thanks

Religious Pluralism

And there you will find your explanation. Try Rumi - the Sufis - the Sikhs - the Bahais - Jains - Hindus - Buddhism - Unitarian Universalism, etc. Go on, read the wiki page.
But no - I can't tell you how to get to heaven. I can tell you that being exclusionistic and thinking only YOU have it right, though, is not getting you any closer.

Here's a suggestion, though - Be Nice.

edit on 8/25/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

In your claim that my opinion is wrong, you decided it was necessary to claim your academic credentials as being superior than mine.

Saying that I don't care about your academic credentials merely was in defense of my own intelligence.

The most recent example of someone who attempted to define the world through Hellinism, is Friedrich Nietzsche, and he went insane.

Plato did not go insane because of his philosophy so maybe the accedimic crowd has it wrong. But since the world appears to be run by the Hellenistic crowd I'm sure our rulers agree with you.

Thier is more than one understanding to all philosophy, but the only philosophy that matters is the philosophy of the Holy Spirit.

There is no Holy Spirit in Hellinism but their is a Holy Spirit in Plato.

And the concept of the "ONE GOD" , whom is also called the creator God, is in possibly all of Plato's works.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

For anyone that is following this thread with a scientific mind.

What makes more since Plato's Angel, Daemon, and soul?

Which could be translated spirit, flesh psyche(mind) the one that chooses between spirit or flesh.

Or what the church has taught you?

I believe in God, I believe in a perfect spirit of love that guides me, I believe in the desires of the flesh. But I also believe in the mind, freewill, and our right to choose. And so did Plato.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

What makes more since Plato's Angel, Daemon, and soul? Or what the church has taught you?

Neither one really...

Personally, when I want to learn about a subject, I try to focus on people with hands on experience.

A few examples on this particular subject would be: Howard Pittman, Kevin Basconi, Steven Brooks, Lester Sumrall, Norvel Hayes, Ian Clayton, Earthquake Kelly, Roland Buck, Bishop Kanco, Nancy Dunn, David Hogan, Edward Caez, Doreen Irvine, etc.

Studying philosophy to learn about the spiritual realm makes very little sense to me.

Howard Pittman alone probably knows more about demons than every philosopher that's ever lived COMBINED.

Nothing wrong with head knowledge, but there is no better teacher than experience.

I can assure you that when you come to the end of your life, the Lord is NOT going to ask you 'How much time did you spend Studying philosophy"?

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I think there is more than one path but only one that gets you where you need to go. Jesus will be at the top of all paths pointing you in the true direction before you find out that those paths lead you off a cliff. I think it is a very good op with only small differences that people get hung up on. Finding an argument over spelling to the point it brings hatrid is amusing considering that it is the word dayman deman demon. Sounds like a hot jewlie day.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

In your claim that my opinion is wrong, you decided it was necessary to claim your academic credentials as being superior than mine.

Saying that I don't care about your academic credentials merely was in defense of my own intelligence.

The most recent example of someone who attempted to define the world through Hellinism, is Friedrich Nietzsche, and he went insane.

Plato did not go insane because of his philosophy so maybe the accedimic crowd has it wrong. But since the world appears to be run by the Hellenistic crowd I'm sure our rulers agree with you.

Thier is more than one understanding to all philosophy, but the only philosophy that matters is the philosophy of the Holy Spirit.

There is no Holy Spirit in Hellinism but their is a Holy Spirit in Plato.

And the concept of the "ONE GOD" , whom is also called the creator God, is in possibly all of Plato's works.

Since you didn't reply re the presocratic philosophers. May I assume you are still not familiar with them? Unless you made yet another error, Socretes isn't a Character created by Plato btw.

The reason Socrates said God singular is that he was following what Pythia the Orical of Delphi told him. This therefore meant his God was Apollo. Are you attributing your faith then to this Greek God?

Thank you yet again for showing me your very best bible thumping behavior. I am not equipped to type a philosophy 101 on my phone. Perhaps you should try the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy?
edit on 25-8-2014 by Iamthatbish because: predict a text totally winning

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join