It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NC Diner Offers 15 Percent Discount For ‘Praying In Public’ Over Meal

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Yeah I'm betting that most of their customers are doing just that. I'm a believer in the law of attraction and the universe loves gratitude. I'm always thankful for my great food and the universe hears that and gives me more to be grateful for. We do eat well at my house. a reply to: intrepid

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous

Although this will probably offend some people.

Everybody is offended over everything, so that's not new. Besides, I'm sure they can choose to go somewhere else. Especially after all the media attention this place is getting.

link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
Who said they were only giving discounts to certain prayers to certain deities? Prayer is silent.

reply to: beezzer

You haven't had dinner with my aunt and uncle in Odessa Texas. They say grace loud and clear every night -- but then, that's to the "good god", not the bad one.
edit on 2-8-2014 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

link   

I just wanted to ad that, for the record, I think this is pretty neat. I may respond with snide remarks but I am thankful every single day that I just happen to have been born in a nation where I can practice my religion in relative safety and peace.

When non-Christians take actual offense to something like this, I think they are missing the blessing they are given by living here. But, on the other hand, Christians should be thankful that their religion is the flavor of the month and put themselves in a few other pairs of shoes before they cry "persecution" at the slightest protest to actions taken by Christians that have a overtly exclusionary tone.

All I can say is God(s)/(ess)/(esses)/(less) bless America (and other free nations).

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Nothing to stop us witches holding our hands over our food and thanking the godess. I've done many silent spells over the years. Not every situation reauires a circle, candles, incense and ringing of bells. LOL.l reply to: Cuervo

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
This is a great idea. Peoples beliefs have been stifled recently. I think we should all be able to pursue and practice our beliefs without ridicule from others.

We all believe things that others may consider silly or even stupid. Problem is some people make a point of letting people know what they think of their beliefs, pathetic really, just causing trouble for no reason. I would like to see this type of thing more. Much more. If we can become more open and mature about our beliefs or lack of belief, maybe we will understand each others view points more.

Just wish the intolerant people from all sides would just shut up and let people believe what they want without trying their best to prove them wrong.

Instead of criticizing another persons beliefs, why not spend that time improving yourself and becoming more tolerant of others, because that is a problem. ( applies to myself too, I'm always criticizing the Roman catholic church for the bad rep they have given Christianity over the last few hundred years, I need to stop that as no torturers and killers from the inquisition are still here).
edit on 2-8-2014 by pennydrops because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Those people could pretend to pray and thus get the discount. Win/Win.a reply to: beezzer

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Well there are always those loud prayer types. They are courageous in their convictions. Good for them. s reply to: kaylaluv

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

What a neat idea!

Although this will probably offend some people.

I'm not offended by that.

I am offended by this however...

originally posted by: ArnoldNonymous[/post]
I think this is a great idea to get good people to frequent the diner!

Just because people pray over a meal does not mean that they are good. Or even more to the point, just because they don't doesn't mean that they are bad. I know... I know... He didn't actually say "People who pray are good and people who don't are bad". But dancing around the implication hit a raw nerve for me. In my experience too many people that are self-consciously demonstrative about their religion use that "good face" to hide a nasty interior. I am more skeptical of someone rattling on a constant litany of "Jesus saves" than I am of a drug dealer. The latter is generally more capable of introspection and up front. At least the drug dealer knows he's wrong when he hurts people.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
There's a reason tbat prayers to all God's are answered. They may go out on a party line but they all end up at the same extension. The universal power hears it all. a reply to: kaylaluv

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArnoldNonymous

And as for your cited scriptures. Praying in public is not a sin. Praying in public and yelling on street corners to get the attention from others to appear holy is the sin.

But isn't that the whole point of the discount... to draw attention by appearing holy?

Don't get me wrong, people should be able to run their businesses any way they want, I just think this is more of a gimmick than anything else.

They're basically paying people to pray in public and I wouldn't be surprised if they're members of a "progressive" church.
edit on 2-8-2014 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

You know, I agree with you that we should all be free to worship (or don't worship) without repercussion. My responses have been more directed at those who sneer that "some people" are going to be offended (and no, I'm not trying to pick on Beezzer). I think that's hypocritical, because I know darn well that the restaurant owner is going to be offended if someone comes in there and says loud enough for someone else to hear, "Satan, thank you for causing suffering and destruction in the world, as we know it is your will.." If someone truly believes in that, who are we to tell them it's wrong?

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I have to say, I'm impressed at the lack of criticism in this thread. Maybe ATS is becoming more tolerant of each other.

With all the crap happening around the world, I think we are learning that our differences are normal. Anyone who insults over a belief needs to grow up.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Sooner or later, there will be fighting over god in the restaurant. It's humans after all,

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I am sure plenty of people without faith will do it for a discount. Real Christians who have read the Bible will not

When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6"But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Sooner or later, there will be fighting over god in the restaurant. It's humans after all,

Cheap food though, will shut anyone up.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
I am sure plenty of people without faith will do it for a discount. Real Christians who have read the Bible will not

When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6"But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you

Spot on. Just like doing good deeds then telling people, or informing the person you helped that you helped them. Keep it to yourself if possible, that way you know you have not done it for the praise.

I've had too much wine again.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: pennydrops

originally posted by: roadgravel

Cheap food though, will shut anyone up.

Guess that doesn't work in the Middle East though.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I wonder if they would give the Westboro tools a discount.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
I wonder if they would give the Westboro tools a discount.

I would imagine they would get 100% discount.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join