It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola Update: 2 Americans Infected, 2nd Senior Doctor Dies

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
just out of interest any way this could get in the food supply i.e a worker coughing or sneazing on fresh tomatoes ??

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Do we really need a new thread for every new bit of news about the outbreak? Seems like one thread on the topic would be much easier to follow.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: sweetpeanc

Yes we do because important information can get lost or overlooked in longer threads.

I dont understand what your gripe is nor why you felt the urge to post it

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: sweetpeanc

It's an epidemic, not an outbreak - and I was trying to centralize the info but realized a hammer might help.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: stuthealien

Im pretty sure the virus cannot survive without a host

EDIT. The above info is incorrect. The virus can survive without a host
edit on 27-7-2014 by Gideon70 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: sweetpeanc
Do we really need a new thread for every new bit of news about the outbreak? Seems like one thread on the topic would be much easier to follow.

Well, pick one and follow it instead of complaining about it. Lol

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gideon70

That would be incorrect.

SURVIVAL OUTSIDE HOST: The virus can survive in liquid or dried material for a number of days (23). Infectivity is found to be stable at room temperature or at 4°C for several days, and indefinitely stable at -70°C (6, 20). Infectivity can be preserved by lyophilisation.
Ebola virus: pathogen safety Data sheet

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: NoAngel2u

Thank you. I stand corrected.

The information in your reply is vital and might not have been noticed in a longer thread

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=18203969]Gideon70[/post

yes, this is important, nothing wrong with making a new thread on this update...

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: stuthealien
just out of interest any way this could get in the food supply i.e a worker coughing or sneazing on fresh tomatoes ??

Anyone coughing or sneezing on food like fresh produce or restaurant fare can spread LOTS of different diseases - Ebola is no exception - always wash fresh produce with soap and water. Better safe than sorry.

ETA - I seldom eat anything I can't cook or wash.

edit on 27/7/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

The one who died in Lagos was actually o a Plane in Transit but caught, so he didn't actually catch it while in Lagos, he already had it before flying. I hope they have checked everyone else who was on that plane.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: CINY8

I live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and the local news is reporting that the family of Dr. Ken Brantly currently lives in Ft. Worth. It's his mom that lives in Indiana.

That bothers me, though. Even though they're not showing symptons.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: texasgirl

Yes mam just herd this on the radio listening to wbap on my way home from work. It is truly troublesome

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

I am worried about the fact that a whole lot of people who were definitely exposed to Ebola are on the run in Lagos - an international city of 21 million people with daily international flights - and in Togo, Ghana and gawdknows where else. These people were definitely exposed - not maybemightbebutprobablywereNOT, like Brantly's family. Let's just hope one or 10 of those fools doesn't hop on a plane to New York or London.

edit on 28/7/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Additional updates: Dr. Brantly's condition is worsening and Liberia is refusing to allow him to be evacuated for better care. Borders there have been closed except for major entry points which will be monitored.

After testing positive for Ebola, he went into treatment at a Samaritan’s Purse isolation center at ELWA Hospital in Paynesville City, Monrovia. His condition is rapidly deteriorating and Samaritan’s Purse has been working to evacuate him for better care, but Liberia is not allowing the evacuation, according to Samaritan’s Purse vice president of international relief, Ken Isaacs. The reason for the delay is unclear.

With the announcement that Liberia is closing its borders, the country also instituted a new travel policy to inspect and test all outgoing and incoming passengers. The hope is that such measures will stop the spread of the virus.

Reports also continue to confirm that the doctor's family returned to the US about a week ago and may be in Texas. His mother has spoken briefly with media from her home in Indiana. Whether his family has volunteered to be tested or quarantined through the known incubation period, I have yet to see reported.

Whether other countries will implement additional safeguards to test travelers from affected areas is also an outstanding question.

Missionary Nany Writebol in Monrovia is receiving treatment as well.

A spokesperson for Samaritan’s Purse said there have been riots outside the clinic.

The case of Liberian Patrick Sawyer who died from Ebola after traveling by air, also demonstrates the risks and delays inherent in this crisis.

Lagos State Health Commissioner Dr. Jide Idris said authorities are working to identify people who may have come in contact with the man on his flights. The process has been delayed, he said, because the airline has not provided the passenger lists for all three of the flights Sawyer took. Sawyer flew first to Ghana before he went to Togo and then switched planes to fly to Nigeria, according to the health commissioner.

source

Ebola is one nasty bug. Thanks for the thread.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Anyone see the movie Contagion? They were downplaying it in the beginning but the virologist called his wife and told her to get out of town ASAP (but not to tell anyone)

I can see this scenario with Dr. Brantley. If he knew he was exposed or was starting to show symptons it's possible he didn't want his wife and family quarantined in Africa. It's transmissable through bodily fluids and he could've infected his wife, depending on how active they are in the bedroom.

It's reported she's not showing symptons but no one has said anything about them being tested or quarantined in Texas. And they won't comment on the situation.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Brantly knew there was an epidemic and it was out of control - that's ALL he needed to know to want his family on a plane and out of harm's way. ...He's a caring, responsible professional - why slander him? With no evidence whatsoever?

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

Brantly knew there was an epidemic and it was out of control - that's ALL he needed to know to want his family on a plane and out of harm's way. ...He's a caring, responsible professional - why slander him? With no evidence whatsoever?

I don't think she is slandering him. Basic knowledge and common sense in a situation where a professional is dealing with a deadly disease on a daily basis would be not letting your wife and kids come live with you....risking exposure. As a mom I certainly would never put my kids in a situation like that. I mean it is the middle of an ebola outbreak...not visiting dad who is temporarily in another country on business or something.

From everything that we know from the news right now there is a good chance that they could have been exposed. If he is such a caring doctor then he would have told his family to stay home...not risk their health and now possibly bring it back with them to the states.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoAngel2u

originally posted by: Gideon70

That would be incorrect.

SURVIVAL OUTSIDE HOST: The virus can survive in liquid or dried material for a number of days (23). Infectivity is found to be stable at room temperature or at 4°C for several days, and indefinitely stable at -70°C (6, 20). Infectivity can be preserved by lyophilisation.
Ebola virus: pathogen safety Data sheet

Great thread OP.

I just wanted to point out the obvious CT here.....it can survive for 23 days outside the body. Anyone else familiar with the 23 enigma?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join