It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six months after marijuana legalization: Colorado tax revenue skyrockets as crime falls

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+71 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Yet the moral fabric of America remains un-tainted..

Rest of the article..

Six months on, Colorado’s marijuana shops are mushrooming, with support from local consumers, weed tourists and federal government taking a wait-and-see attitude.

Tax dollars are pouring in, crime is down in Denver, and few of the early concerns about social breakdown have materialized – at least so far.

“The sky hasn’t fallen, but we’re a long way from knowing the unintended consequences,” said Andrew Freeman, director of marijuana coordination for Colorado. “This is a huge social and economic question.”

To think that given people some freedom would get positive results!

In the first four months, marijuana sales amounted to more than $202 million, about a third of them recreational. Taxes from recreational sales were almost $11 million.

So further down the line, we are still seeing that the benefits outweight the risks. Hell they've only had two deaths attributed to this and anybody who knows anything about pot will tell you that those people died of idiocy, not pot smoking. I would also venture a guess there were more than 2 alcohol or other drug related deaths in the same time frame.

In any case, crime is down, revenue is up.

What more do you people want?

~Tenth

+22 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Let's do this thing!

This is great news. The effect is about the same as if they'd legalize gay marriage. More revenue, more freedom. No ill effects.

+34 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

And the activists that have been pushing marijuana law reform since forever are sitting there like... "told ya so!"

Now, lets get this miracle plant decriminalized across the board! Freedom should mean I'm free to use a plant without risking years in prison. If alcohol is legal, so too should marijuana be!

Kallisti

+12 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Now we need to make Achohol illegal. It kills thousands...

Just kidding...See what it feels like.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
Now we need to make Achohol illegal. It kills thousands...

Just kidding...See what it feels like.

Yup what could go wrong?

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Yet here in the U.K we're told there are lots of high school kids who are addicted and how it's ripping the heart out of communities. I know it's not true, but it's what most of the U.K get to see and won't actually research themselves.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Yet here in the U.K we're told there are lots of high school kids who are addicted and how it's ripping the heart out of communities. I know it's not true, but it's what most of the U.K get to see and won't actually research themselves.

I know it pretty stupid when all the evidence says over wise.

I think our dumb arse politicians cant tell the difference between MJ and Meth

Even our police are crying out how stupid it is and what a waste of time Mj prohibition is.
edit on 3-7-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Hate to play devils advocate, as I am all for legalization, but what about Kids that find their parents edibles and end up in the hospital?

I know, there's only been 9 kids admitted for too much THC, and while the effects aren't really life threatening, they shouldn't be eating their parents meds, the parents shouldn't leave their meds laying around, and they stuff probably shouldn't be made to look so appealing to kids.

Same goes for any Rx med, firearms, chemicals, power tools. The question is, is it now the responsibility of the state to try to keep edibles out of kids hands, or do parents need to be educated and we just have to hope that not too many kids eat their parents weed, just like we hope not too many kids find their parents oxy's or booze or pistols and harm themselves.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Thanks for the update on this grand social experiment TTTP...

IIRC...back in my old hippy days...I can't remember one single *happy* person to go looking for a fight.

I can see the Feds now, kicking themselves in the tush, and trying to figure out what new regulations to implement, to grab a slice of the pot pie.

Des

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower Yea do not take with alcohol should be on the package. We all knew the case would be that no harm would come upon the moral fabric. At least anyone with any expierence knew that.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Great stuff... should be rolled out nationwide and then worldwide.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ZeroReady I bet those kids don't do that again. We all have to learn and some of us will always push the bounderies.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I really hope too see the Day When every country in the World legalize it.

Those Who dosen't Learn from those Who has legalize it now.

I truly believe When that Day comes we are a step closer to World peace. And not a NWO....

I hope that this News, Will come to EU. So more People wake up. And realize that the War on drugs. Was Lost the Day, the US startet that War....

This is truly a Win Win Win Win Win opportunity fore all.

* Less People in jail.

* Less money to bad People.

* More money to the People ( the State )

* police can focus On REAL crime!!

* More Jobs to the People. Making it / transactions ( deliver ) / sell it.

Love and peace

edit on 3-7-2014 by kadara_dk because: Add a more Win

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

Yea but part of the problem might be that a lot the edibles look like kids candy. Or brownies. Or cookies. There's nothing really to distinguish them from other goodies. How will the kids know not to eat one cookie, but a different cookie is ok?

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I'm sure the police union is pretty mad at that they don't get to kick in as many heads

+19 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ZeroReady

To be honest I'd be more worried if my kid got into a bottle of spirits than weed. obviously I'd prefer neither happened but even if they took to much weed that would be very much preferable than if they downed a bottle and got alcohol poisoning.

Its not anyones responsibility except the parents/guardians to keep children away anything that it would be unwise for the child to interact with.

+23 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
as for kids getting ahold of their parents 'edibles', that comes down to personal responsibility.

something that's sorely lacking in today's day and age, imho.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZeroReady

Yea but part of the problem might be that a lot the edibles look like kids candy. Or brownies. Or cookies. There's nothing really to distinguish them from other goodies. How will the kids know not to eat one cookie, but a different cookie is ok?

same can be said for RX meds h ttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2535790/Toddler-rushed-hospital-trying-eat-potentially-fatal-diabetes-pills-pushed-wrong-letterbox.html

edit on 3-7-2014 by KnowledgeSeeker81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZeroReady

Well, to be fair they sure put booze in fancy bottles.

It boils down to personal responsibility. Keep it away from kids.

Edibles are going through a process for packaging.

Remember....They were criminals 6 months ago.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: 12m8keall2c
as for kids getting ahold of their parents 'edibles', that comes down to personal responsibility.

something that's sorely lacking in today's day and age, imho.

Exactly! Lock the edibles in the cabinet with the booze. It is the parent's job to keep such products out of kid's hands.

Des

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join