It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Happy With Karma

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Springer,

Considering that the flag / star system is clearly dis-functional is there any chance of just displaying the abysmaynormally calculated karma score only. I'm getting really tired of seeing stars and flags appearing without knowing where they came from and who gave them and from which post or thread.

For the love of god man, have you no humanity.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Heh.. theres a flag for ya .. now ya know where one came from ..
Usually if you look over threads you posted in you see where you got them ..

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
It is a game!

You have to find them flags and them stars!

If you don't like em, then just ignore em.

Why spoil my fun! Just don't look and they will not bother you ..... but you can't, can ya!

P

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I think karma is based on stars so that's messed up too. As far as I know, the only numbers under the avatar that are accurate are flags and post count.
edit on 6/27/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

No, I cannot.

I live in a world of absolutes, absence of determination, hhhmmmmmmmmm. Maybe we'll discuss that one day pheonix358.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

I live in a world of absolutes

No you don't!
There are no absolutes in this world.

You may choose to see the world in absolutes and that is your choice, but a choice it is.

I choose to see the world as a chaotic entity and that is my choice!

The truth of any argument or discussion is almost always somewhere in the middle.

P

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Yeah, you just like your 46 karma and look aghast at us 28 karma people. Flags and stars are fun, even seeing FlyersFan's high numbers shows me that with hard work anything is possible (smiling out loud). To harm your sensibilities even more, I will give you a flag for this thread - or will I? You will never know. hahahahahaha huh?

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Nope.. world is shades of grey .. there are no absolutes ...

Look at the s&f thing as the ats version of wheres waldo ...

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Indeed I do. Like you, I see a world of chaos, I determine order from that. Considering that order, I determine absolute. I'm a Surveyor, it's what we do.

Beyond that I will repeat at least for me; Springer, for the love of god man, have you no humanity.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I've noticed since the star/flag thing began, that people will always tell you that they are giving you the gift as if it were a kidney. Figuring where they came from is as easy as reading your replies. I know you are just joking, but whatever, think of it as a psa for others.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

If this were in another forum, sometime in the future I may well have given you a star for your comedic input. Would you have gone hunting for it, probably not I suspect.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   

I think I'm like lots of people, who like round numbers. I notice my star counts if they approach a nice round number, like one of the thousands, and find myself actually watching to see when you get your 500th star (you have 499 at this post, edit: I just gave you a flag somewhere for your well-deserved 500th). So many of us have that nit-picking thing of rounder numerals, like five as compared to six

edit on 27-6-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-6-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

Pat. I get the shades of grey thing. I see and determine absolutes from that, just as you do and most other people do I imagine, probably.

Cheers
MSAW

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

I get your point. We are not the same and I will reiterate;

Springer, for the love of god man, have you no humanity. Blank them out.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

FlyersFan, reviewing your ATS numerical accounting sums up the nonsense of it all. I know I said Karma, I didn't mean anything that was going to inflate my "account" or whatever beyond anything that it should be. I'm just saying I do not get a kick out of getting flags or stars from threads and posts that I cannot determine the origin of, it's a rubbish system.

And yes, I may have had a few beeers and am now unto the red whine, but yews, yews can all go and fully have an excellent weekend, happy days.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

myselfaswell...

This world, the one we ALL live on, is one of colour and vibrancy. But in terms of the conventions within which we live our lives, there are no absolutes. Rigid models are bad for ones psychological health and development.

Those who insist upon indulging in adherence to rigid models of thought and action, tend to find themselves prone to obsessive compulsive disorder. The reason for this, is that to live within rigid models, is to separate oneself from society, because society operates in a much more adaptable fashion. This separation will only deepen, the more one gives into it.

You have to accept that not everything has neat corners, clearly defined edges, a proper place. Some things just are as they are, whether you agree with them or not. Thinking rigidly about world affairs for instance, will avail you of an unrealistic view of events, because trying to see them in black and white, rather than the shades of grey that they actually exist between these polar opposites, will prevent you from seeing all that is to be seen, or knowing all that is to be known. Specifically, knowing who the bad guys are, and are not, is very difficult to do if you have no concept of the deeper complexities of the situation, the grey space which resists simplification as readily as a mountain resists a breeze.

In a similar, but less starkly important way, the flags a thread receives, and the stars awarded to a poster, are merely indicators of how members felt about those contributions to the site, and the karma score is an even more ambiguous indicator, because if all one ever saw was ones karma score, one would have no idea how one came by that score what so ever. The flags and stars awarded by members, are a good indicator tool to make you aware of how your contributions are seen by others, and in that way have more value as a data set, than ones karma score in any case!

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

Springer, for the love of god man, have you no humanity.

All members of staff have had their humanity surgically removed upon becoming staff.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

originally posted by: myselfaswell

Springer, for the love of god man, have you no humanity.

All members of staff have had their humanity surgically removed upon becoming staff.

I was thinking that there was something different about you dude.....

But to get on topic,

Karma is also broke, the only thing working is the flags and applauses

I personally would like to see them strip away the whole thing in favour of something new and less complicated.

I mean do we really need 5 or 6 different measures of how popular or unpopular a member is.

Seems kinda pointless and even more pointless when the Stars system that feeds into both Karma and WATS is broken.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Hold up a sec.

When a post appears which is well thought out, well written, educational or meaningful, that post is starred, not the member themselves. Similarly if a thread is created which gives members the opportunity to debate a topic in a manner that they find useful or effective, the flag on the thread is meant to mark it as one worth not only giving a read, but participating in and watching too.

I fail to see what is broken about it, unless you are referring to the glitch which saw some members end up with obscene star numbers. That is unfortunate of course, but the problem was limited to a few members, and could be rectified if we give the ownership and administrative staff a chance on it!

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Dude I hate to blow your bubble but fundamentally the who star and flag system is just a popularity context nothing more nothing less.

<<   2 >>

join