It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five of the Most Dangerous Taliban Commanders in U.S. Custody Exchanged for American Captive

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   
So is there any real suggestion that he's been 'turned' a la Brody in Homeland, or is that just media silliness?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: stargatetravels

He was "turned" right before he joined up with them. He would not have deserted and joined them otherwise, but it wasn't the kind of turning that took their involvement like one usually thinks of.

As far as the question "Will he attack US citizens here on US soil?" - We just wont know the answer to that unless or until he starts killing a lot of people here... then we will know, and then will be too late.

What we do know is that he deserted in order to join the Taliban's team...now how deep his hatred of us runs at this point, and what he plans on doing once here with that hatred, is anyone's guess.

But I don't want to be his neighbor, or live in the same town I'll say that right now... don't trust him even a little. He definitely bears watching. He's the most dangerous kind of terrorist.
edit on 4-6-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: stargatetravels
So is there any real suggestion that he's been 'turned' a la Brody in Homeland, or is that just media silliness?

None whatsoever. Calm down everyone.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg
Don't be ridiculous. He sent 1,500 missiles to Iran for the return of hostages in the Lebanon.

Reagan was still at the inaugural balls when the hostages were released. He did't even get to the Oval Office. I stand by what I said .... Within minutes of hard core Ronald Reagan taking office, the hostages were on the plane homebound for the USA. We did NOTHING except elect a POTUS who doesn't treat terrorists with a kid glove.
edit on 6/4/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg
Don't be ridiculous. He sent 1,500 missiles to Iran for the return of hostages in the Lebanon.

Reagan was still at the inaugural balls when the hostages were released. He did't even get to the Oval Office. I stand by what I said .... Within minutes of hard core Ronald Reagan taking office, the hostages were on the plane homebound for the USA. We did NOTHING except elect a POTUS who doesn't treat terrorists with a kid glove.

No, not the hostages from the US embassy in Iran, the later hostages.

EDIT: In addition the hostages from the US embassy were freed via the Algiers Accords. Which was negotiated by the Carter Administration.
edit on 4-6-2014 by AngryCymraeg because: Moah facts!

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB

What we do know is that he deserted in order to join the Taliban's team...now how deep his hatred of us runs at this point, and what he plans on doing once here with that hatred, is anyone's guess.

But I don't want to be his neighbor, or live in the same town I'll say that right now... don't trust him even a little. He definitely bears watching. He's the most dangerous kind of terrorist.

Huh? How do we know he 'joined the Taliban team'?
We know he deserted because he couldn't stand the disgraceful things that the US forces were doing but to say that he joined up with the enemy rather than just escaping the aggressor, seems to be a big assumption frankly.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: stargatetravels
How do we know he 'joined the Taliban team'?

Bergdahl Commander Intercepted Communications - Bergdahl Wanted to Meet with Taliban

Former Army Sgt. Evan Buetow was the team leader with Bowe Bergdahl the night Bergdahl disappeared.

"Bergdahl is a deserter, and he's not a hero," says Buetow. "He needs to answer for what he did."

Within days of his disappearance, says Buetow, teams monitoring radio chatter and cell phone communications intercepted an alarming message: The American is in Yahya Khel (a village two miles away). He's looking for someone who speaks English so he can talk to the Taliban.

"I heard it straight from the interpreter's lips as he heard it over the radio," said Buetow. "There's a lot more to this story than a soldier walking away."

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Can you edit your post, you have me quoted saying something I never said.
Opinionatedb said the line you're attributing to me.

edit on 4-6-2014 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   

I'm sure she will if she notices. But she did plainly answer your question. His commander, and those he was serving with all have the same story concerning him and the circumstances surrounding his desertion as well as what they learned when they went looking for him.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Okay ... got it. Sorry about that. Both lines looked similar in the editing.
But I think the info provided speaks to both of your points raised.
The commander intercepted communications that the soldier was looking
for English speaking people to help him locate the Taliban. He wanted
to talk with them.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I still can no understand why so much apologist trying to justify the trade of 5 terrorist for one American traitor.

I guess is not of those that do not understand military service and politics fault.

Having a family that have served in the military, died for the country, I am outraged that is so much questioning with what is happening right now.

My husband a veteran retired marine that spend 18 months during Desert storm and desert shield putting his life at risk and been shot at (gratefully the bullet hit the door of the Humvee he was driving and didn't injured him) feels that something is definitely wrong with what is going on with this case.

Is big crap about what the president did, be by trying to avoid the latest VA scandal of his administration added to the many others or just he showing his true nature and favoritism to middle east terrorist groups

I am still waiting for an explanation in the name of my family members that have died for this country as heroes.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Maybe this signifies an end to hostilities, agreed by the US and the Taliban.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: ken10
Maybe this signifies an end to hostilities, agreed by the US and the Taliban.

There will never be an end to hostilities with the Islamic extremists. They won't allow it.

Somewhere on this site is the original video of the gitmo terrorists being welcomed home to a hero's welcome -
nunn.asia... The video has Muslim music and has the feel of a joyous festival.

Reuters Video with part of the original video from above - in English

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Well we know the US have been having negotiations with the Taliban for quite a while now, trying to get out of Afghanistan while keeping a little face.....Does the US hold any other Taliban fighters after this release ?.......That could give us an answer.
edit on 4-6-2014 by ken10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ken10

In order to understand what the Taliban is and stand for is better to read their history.

www.cfr.org...

Then with that out of the way, you will see why the Taliban will never leave the middle east, (they are middle east nationals) that is their lands.

And while their goal is to completely take foreign invaders out of their nations, we know that the US economic interest in the area will never allow the end of hostilities.

It doesn't matter how much sugar coating the US government use to make American people believer that it could be a compromise with the Taliban is never going to happen, money and control of recourses by profiteers is too great.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
The best argument I heard for this trade was that the Taleban terrorist leaders have been GPS chipped and we'll take them and their contacts out later with drone strikes. Or at the least track them and use information gained that way. Possible.
More reasonable suggestions are that Obama wanted an expedient way to try to close Gitmo by emptying it of any way possible and this was an easy( and brain dead) way to accomplish that.
Then there's the VA scandal and Obama wanted to score some points by bringing home a POW. That would blow up in his face since this guy looks to be at best a deserter and possibly even a traitor. Again, a brain dead move if that was the case.
Its getting harder and harder to believe the Commander In Dolt is capable of doing anything smart or in America's interest. Is he an idiot or a stooge working against us, or both?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Dutchowl

I agree with all your suggestions, this days my friend we no longer can tell what is going on with our government anymore, so that makes our government a no longer for the people one.

It seems that politicians when in powers are just trying to accomplish whatever their benefactors are paying for, agencies are working independently on their own following whomever corporate interest that is controlling them wants.

In other words we the people do not longer have control our own elected government.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dutchowl
The best argument I heard for this trade was that the Taleban terrorist leaders have been GPS chipped and we'll take them and their contacts out later with drone strikes. Or at the least track them and use information gained that way. Possible.
More reasonable suggestions are that Obama wanted an expedient way to try to close Gitmo by emptying it of any way possible and this was an easy( and brain dead) way to accomplish that.
Then there's the VA scandal and Obama wanted to score some points by bringing home a POW. That would blow up in his face since this guy looks to be at best a deserter and possibly even a traitor. Again, a brain dead move if that was the case.
Its getting harder and harder to believe the Commander In Dolt is capable of doing anything smart or in America's interest. Is he an idiot or a stooge working against us, or both?

Imagine they did "chip" the terrorists.

Any half-bright killer would be aware of that.

Precautions would be taken (if I were a bad guy).

So it's a moot point as far as "chipping" is concerned. We're not "chipping" squirrels to see where they hide their nuts. These are crafty, intelligent people with resources.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Thank you for correcting that.
I understand and I'm not dismissing the fact that he left his post in war and is a deserter.
Wanting to speak to the Taliban is where it becomes odd though, was he trying to make peace, did he perhaps want to join them, sell out? We don't know.

I saw on tv earlier that others in his squad said he was reading a 'weird' book about education for Afghan girls, like because he had sympathy and empathy he was weird among his fellow soldiers - like that is somehow negative?
It seems the media and military are doing a good job of painting this guy as crazy or a traitor or 'something'

He could have witnessed a really serious incident or atrocity committed by US troops and decided he had to get out and tell the world, maybe he thought the Taliban would hear what had happened and they would let him announce it to the world.
And then they didn't, he was naive, they kidnapped and tortured him.
That is as plausible as any other theory, knowing what we do about these things.

Sounds to me like this guy had some issues - got to war and saw some bad things, mistreatment of locals by his fellow soldiers, running over kids in Armored vehicles and laughing etc and decided, right or wrong, that he couldn't do it any more.

He had said to a colleague that if he got to the point where he'd had enough, then he'd just walk off into the mountains.
The guy was clearly having a crisis of conscience and the horrors of war and the lie that was the war on terror were probably eating him up.

To say that he 'joined' the Taliban and that he should be considered a terrorist, imo, is awful.
It's clearly a very strange and divisive issue and one that we may never know the truth about.

edit on 4-6-2014 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Eryiedes

A Congressional bypass (questionable anyway for abt. 4 reasons) is the least of the crimes committed by this regime in this case. Aiding and abetting the enemy - providing aid and comfort to the enemy - (or words to that effect) all in time of war would constitute more appropriate charges.

As far as the issue of the deserter/traitor coming up on charges either in a military tribunal for desertion and/or a criminal tribunal on charges of treason is highly unlikely if not impossible. The regime has all of its bases covered on this from a point of view of the UCMJ, the Military/Pentagon apparatus, and Holder's corrupted Dept of Justice etc etc. Actually, the entire government is corrupted and has been replaced by no less than a communist/Muslim style dictatorship and there's not a single thing anybody can do about it, so don't let your anger over this eat away at you. The only way to handle this is on the spiritual level, otherwise you'll drive yourselves over the edge.

Do you all get my point here? Its a done deal! as will all of the regimes other actions for the remainder of its term - then you'll probably get another incarnation of the Bush regime and so the cycle continues.

Incidentally, I'm reading a lot of comments here from people who have no military experience whatsoever - they aught to just keep silent and allow those "who've been there" do the talking - we know what a #ing deserter looks (mostly smells) like.

edit on 4-6-2014 by FairAndBalanced because: spelt a rong werd

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join