It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Married 34 years today

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I can't believe it has been 34 years. It still feels like we just met yesterday.

We have not had an easy journey. Most of the time it really felt like from a song "me and you against the world".

Sometimes I have hated him, most of the time I tolerated him, and sometimes, the love was overpowering.

What kept us together for so long? He was the only human I trusted to stand with me back to back against the world.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Congratulations!

A good and enduring marriage is one thing money can't buy these days. It's a rare thing and quite an accomplishment.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Congratulations. When you find a loyal friend to share life with...'tis a true blessing.

Des

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Congratulations! That deserves a happy dance, along with a stiff slap on the back for all the work you both have put into it to come this far.

Those stats are growing fewer and fewer by the day. Anybody who sticks it out for any length of time, knows that staying married is something you have to fight damned hard to do. Your OP definitely shows why you are still married after all these years. You have a clear view of reality and not one painted and tainted by the fairy tales that have been sold off and bought up by most of the population.

Marriage encompasses every last emotion you listed off and then some. Staying together through the hellish years when the last thing you wanted to do was run towards them along a beautiful stretch of beach in slow motion takes a lot of effort lol.

Again... A huge congratulations to you both. May you have yet another 34 years together ahead of you!

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

most of the time I tolerated him

Tolerance, yes; not love.

Or perhaps that IS love.

All ties in with respect.

The emotion is replaced with action.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Are you looking for sympathy or congratulations?

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Congratulations !!!!!

Not a big fan of marriage but 34 years nowadays is quite an accomplishment !!!

Bravo ! And to many more !!!

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Congratulations!!

I too have been married 30+ but it took me 3 wives to do it.
Still love them all!!

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Impressive in any time period .... but in this day and age it's even more so! Congratulations.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Married 10 yrs. 2nd time. What is it like. 90% of the time bored tolerance. Challenges stepson with no motivation and IQ in low 80's and zero ambition to work. We are at two different intellectual levels and different cultures. Why am I still here; two dogs that depend on me. a reply to: MOMof3

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Thanks everyone. We had a great day. We have decided today, after my husband read my post, that we are going to go back to the beginning. Before the kids, jobs, struggles.

I thought long and hard today. Would I do it again, the same partner, the same life.

Absolutely.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Wow, I am impressed and envious at the same time. I hope my marriage lasts as longer (if not longer) than yours.

Congratulations!

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
All i can say is that married people who still love each other after such a long time....

Make it harder for the rest of us!

25 years this July.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Congratulations on your 34 years of marriage! Never been there. Never done that. Nevertheless here's a musical tribute:

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

That is a perfect song that fits our relationship, thanks for sharing. I don't know how I can say it any better, but it is the touch. When we touch, just a hug can bring it all back, even in the hardest of times.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Congratulations!

I think you nailed the secret to long marriages on the head. There are times, years even, when spouses do not get along, and may even convince themselves that they HATE the other person. Sticking through these rough patches finds couples emerging with an even stronger love for each other.

Love, tolerance, and perseverance. So happy for you and your husband. Happy anniversary.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: LeddHead

oh! congrats to you both, hubby and I made it 39 years...then he passed....but I am happy for you!

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Long time to hang in there! Congrats! Coming up on 22 years for mine, and know what you mean about it not always being easy. Not going anywhere, thought!

Met a couple at church who have been married seventy-five years now. Young, apparently, as he is about to turn 95!

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Congrats and I can relate to the "sometimes I hated ...."
"She is the only human I trust to stand by me"

26 years married ourselves

this epitomizes our marriage

Paul McCartney Maybe I'm Amazed

Maybe I'm amazed at the way you love me all the time
Maybe I'm afraid of the way I love you
Maybe I'm amazed at the the way you pulled me out of time
And hung me on a line
Maybe I'm amazed at the way I really need you

Maybe I'm a man and maybe I'm a lonely man
Who's in the middle of something
That he doesn't really understand

Maybe I'm a man and maybe you're the only woman
Who could ever help me
Baby won't you help me understand

Maybe I'm a man and maybe I'm a lonely man
Who's in the middle of something
That he doesn't really understand

Maybe I'm a man and maybe you're the only woman
Who could ever help me
Baby won't you help me understand

Maybe I'm amazed at the way you're with me all the time
Maybe I'm afraid of the way I leave you
Maybe I'm amazed at the way you help me sing my song
Right me when I'm wrong
Maybe I'm amazed at the way I really need you

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Congrats! Been married 10 years myself, as of January. Wishing you many more years of happiness together!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join