It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self-evolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
What I am talking about mainly is the gift of the "prodigy". For example, Rudiger Gamm, an otherwise ordinary man, has developed into a calculating prodigy by training his memory on arithmetic facts and calculation algorithms 1-4 hours each day for six years (99 to the 5th, 53 to the 9th, 31/61 with all 60 decimals). How he did this I am not sure, but I am developing my own methods i.e., training my mind to "see" the numbers and retain them essentially "placing" them to the side while I calculate the other digits using the vedic sutra "vertically and crosswise" i.e.,

97 step 1: 9x8=72
x89 step 2: 7x9=63

now keeping the numbers in my point of view thus, 72 63, I continue

97 step 3: 8x7 + 9x9 =137
x89

then, with the numbers in their appropriate positions, starting from the right, I add:

72 137 63

1< 33 = 7 + 63

carry the one,

72 13 33

14=13+1

add the fourteen to the remaining digits

86 =72+14

8,633 is the answer.

If you go to www.vedicmaths.org, you will find that they start from the left. I am training myself to multiply all three sequences simultaneously with reasonable results, if I concentrate.

I tried a similar method with a three digit number by a three digit number. After about ten minutes of concentration and numbers flying around my mind, I got an answer but it was wrong. And as for other calculations i.e., division, squares, powers, roots, sines, etc., I will focus on that at a later time in my development.

I am also practicing applying a visual method to writings. First beginning with words, secondly sentences and, hopefully, in time, to paragraphs and pages.

Another self-developed brilliant mind worth mentioning is Dominic O'Brien. He holds the Guinness World Record for most playing cards memorized: 2,808 in eleven hours forty-two minutes with eight errors; four mistakes and four corrections. This is said to be accomplished by a series of mnemonics i.e., clubs (c=3), A(ce)=13, 2=23, 3=33, 4=43...; diamonds (d=4), A=14, 2=24, 3=34, 4=44...; hearts (h=88), A=18, 2=28, 3=38, 48...; spades (s=6), A=16, 2=26, 3=36, 46.... And by making up a story according to the sequence of the cards or rather their number representations using the Journey Technique--which I won't go into. I made a pact with myself not to use such mnemonics or conventional methods. I want to develop my own and see where they take me.

The right side of the brain is the key to seeing problems being solved. It is responsible for dreams and imagination, amongst other things. Hopefully unlocking it will unlock many mysteries.

Any thoughts on my ramblings?

Mephorium.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Yes-anything can be done if you assign enough time and effort to it. But why exactly do you want to do this? I cant see it being usefull unless you are a math teacher
developing a skill that uses a particular part of your brain is unlikely to affect all the areas around it. I havent slept in a long time so if this doesnt make sence.....be sad about it.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SiRiNO
But why exactly do you want to do this? I

A couple of reasons come to mind.

1)Mental exercise of this nature helps to increase memory.

2)Progress increses self-confidence and this does translate to other ares of mental activity. Confidence is a very important aspect of the self and could by itself determine the success or failure of an endeavor.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Self-evolution?

Either one of us must be on some drug, because that just doen't make sense to me.

Could you explain?

Surf

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Self-evolution?

Either one of us must be on some drug, because that just doen't make sense to me.

Could you explain?

Surf

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
You can also self-developed your body along with your mind. Through some types of training you can make your bones more dense and thus much stronger. Im not so sure change like this is considered Evolution but its very amazing.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   
No offense, but it seems that the learning you are doing is rather pointless. Save impressing a few friends, being a human calculator while interesting seems to be more a gimmick than anything.

If you want to train your mind, while also keeping it interesting and somewhat practical, why not pick up a musical instrument? You don't need to formally or even informally learn to play, if your mind is capable, learning is something that will occur naturally.

I've been playing the guitar now for around five years, and I've not once read a book on it or had any sort of lessons for that matter, I just play it. And hell, I don't even know the basic concepts behind what I'm doing, but I do certainly know how to play my guitar. For example, before hitting any single note on any single fret on any single string, I have an exact knowledge of what sound is going to be produced. I know almost exactly what sound two strings plucked in unison are going to be produce, and I somewhat know what 3, 4, 5, or 6 strings plucked in unison are going to produce.

What you're attempting to do is not unlike what I'm trying to do, except what you're trying to do seems awfully boring, so I'm just throwing that idea out for you...

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Mephorium: I dont believe that exercising your brain In ANY is at all pointless. Its very much like kookoo creating patterns with guitar strings.
Mephorium, if you plan to meditate you can use this skill to get your mind disciplined or to reach a thoughtless stage.
Are we all THAT stupid that we can impress people by our multiplication skills?
If you read up enough on vedic mathematics( which you might have) you mustve heard about an alternative to deriving the pythagorian formula which predates the mathematician himself by the way. Its fascinating!
Do keep us posted if you find anything interesting Mephorium

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
It seems unneccesarily complicated to me.

97x89 =

100x89 - 3x80 - 3x9 =

8900 - 240 - 27 = 8633

3 multiplications, 2 subtractions seems simpler than your method. I may be missing something. Is the point to make the math more complicated to exercise the brain?

[edit on 14-1-2005 by kungfoo]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Well it gets easier in the long run and derivation of certain very important formulas is much much simpler.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
That is an awfully long way to go about it when one can just multiply the 97 by 90 and subtract 97. and if that is too difficult, then 97*9 add a zero and subtract 97.

top topics

join