It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human consciousness is simply a state of matter, like a solid or liquid – but quantum

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I have people refer to conscious as state of being. And so this guy comes along reads that gets the idea state of matter, and we have to applaud him because hes from MIT. Those MIT guys are way overrrated

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Perceptronium sounds a lot like a quantum biofilm. I suspect it is NOT unified and indivisible - and just maybe, can leak and spread a bit.

Nice find. F&S&

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

...allowing us to scientifically tackle murky topics such as self awareness,

Sorry, but a descriptive theory of consciousness doesn't even begin to get
its toe wet in the murky depths of the HUGE enigma that is our unique,
personal, self-awareness.

We can describe the brain, map it, isolate the areas responsible for
sensory perception, emotion, memory etc, but that does nothing to
describe why self-awareness exists for each individual human and
many animals.

I AM, is said to be the first words uttered by God.

It is also the shortest complete sentence in the English language.

I think therefore, I am, (Cogito ergo sum) is the philosopher
Descartes' famous affirmation of self.

For me, all I know is, I am. I don't know why. I don't know how.
Either there is something ethereal, unseen, and unknown that is
the essence of me, or I am simply a blueprint for a thousand
trillion atoms that has been waiting for 15 billion years to
finally be constructed, here, on this planet, at this time.

And I just can't buy into that second option.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: benrl

originally posted by: Chronon
simulated universe makes the most sense to me, but is also the most terrifying.

I had a terrifying thought while watching cosmos.

The seemingly random jumps an electron makes when returning to higher or lower orbits, where proof of Pixelization caused by simulation theory.

ETA:

That pixilation is created by the background effect.
When we think of nothing existance inside our theoretically empty vacume sealed box. There isn't truely nothing in it.
The background is what fills up the *space* and beyond all objects even the box itself is the *background* pixilation.

How best to describe this. All things in existance came from that *background* we preserve as nothing.
But matter has always existed in the universe. The cause of matter being crushed. Say molecules are pulled apart. And each atom broken into fragments, Each fragment is a sub-atomic particle that has its own code such as the law of atoms govern how many electrons- protons and orbiting particles make up an atom into a very specific element or combined elements from nearby atoms with bonding electrons and protons.

The forces that hold an atom and these sub atomic pecies together are vast and often seem fused together but they are not everything is *vibrating* But is actually just orbiting and spinning in weird geometric paterns at intervals faster than our eyes can see.

Now the forces able to pull these apart likewise condense the oncoming energy released from the shatter atoms and fuse them into clumps that do not carry electrons or protons. And like radiation has a decay rate, but the decay rate is much longer, So the rate at which matter is destroyed and compressed to the rate of matter that exists will always be equal. Because there will always be particles that have lingered long enough to decay and expell the condensed energy. So Galaxies will recreate themselves. The background *energy* or other state of matter can only be created with the fusing of particles into a *mashed* unresponsive particle.

The basic idea is that there is no such there as nothing, as nothing is a classical term and philosophy used to define non-observable space.

Besdies this background energy/matter there are also electrons and other sub-atomic particles flying around from distant stars and from chemical/elemental reactions in space.

As in the smallest of matter simply traversing over a seam in the fabric of reality, pixelation at the very smallest level.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: rival

Sorry, but a descriptive theory of consciousness doesn't even begin to get
its toe wet in the murky depths of the HUGE enigma that is our unique,
personal, self-awareness.

Indeed. I hold that such a theory is an inherent contradiction. Consciousness, when directly experienced (some of you know what I mean), is intangible and ineffable. It transcends description itself, the very foundation of scientific inquiry. As such, what we call "science" will never be able to explain consciousness. It will try and it will fail... and in the meantime it will spin every "discovery" as confirmation of its own validity to the exclusion of all other interpretations.

The words "consciousness is simply matter" (emphasis added) betray their contempt for things they can't understand.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: BDBinc

Generally what hurts is my head when I ponder some of the questions regarding the matter of consciousness(no pun intended).

I would argue that life does indeed hurt! Seems to me to be a series of events, generally painful, but sometimes spotted with moments of levity. Is consciousness a by-product of our perception, or is it the other way around? They both seem to be directly linked to one another possibly even the same thing.

Maybe we are just kidding ourselves that we are actually sentient. After all the latest data suggests our universe is nothing more than a simulation.

edit on 25-4-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Nothing can appear outside of consciousness. If you are not conscious then nothing is appearing to exist.
That which is appearing is the light of consciousness. That which is knowing that there is existence is the conscious space that the light appears on/in.

The screen never moves and is always present................but that which is appearing on it never stays the same.
The screen is at 'rest' and the light moves on the face of the screen which is 'motion'.

The screen/face of consciousness and the light moving on the face of consciousness are not two. There is nothing else but this.
edit on 25-4-2014 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Your interpretation has rather a few similarities to Plato's analogy of the cave. I always found that particular parable fascinating!

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Imagine that you are a tv screen - you (as the tv screen) are always present even when the tv has no pictures moving on it. The screen is lit up when the tv is switched on and there is what looks like a 3d world going on. If there was no screen there would be no apparent world.
The screen has to be present (here) for the picture (moving light image) to be able to happen. The moving light image and the screen are not two things.

The screen of consciousness is (usually) totally forgotten because the moving light image takes the attention.
The screen can be found through the image (light of consciousness) that is ever present but there are ideas of time which fragment the one.

Consciousness is ever present as the one. Time appears as an idea in presence. Individual is an idea born within the one consciousness.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   
You know who has been saying the same thing for years and getting ridiculed for it?

David Icke. Turns out he was right after all. He's been right about a lot of things he has said 10 - 15 years ago.

WE ARE CONSCIOUSNESS!!!

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
I have always been fascinated by consciousness, what is it, and how did we attain such a state of mind?

Consciousness is not a 'state of mind'.
Without being conscious could the word or idea of 'mind' even appear to exist?
Consciousness is the space on and in which all things appear.

Because you are consciousness you will not ever be able to see consciousness.
Can the witness/knower be seen or does the witness only see what there is to be seen?

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   

"Consciousness is not a 'state of mind'.
Without being conscious could the word or idea of 'mind' even appear to exist?"

What if the universe is conscious, that means consciousness could have been around for far longer than Man has existed. Hence our words and ideas are neither here nor there. In the grand scheme of things nothing more than a ripple in the pond.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Words and ideas are what the universe is conscious of when words and ideas arise. Individual human is no more than an idea.

Individual is a concept (idea).

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Hence our words and ideas are neither here nor there. In the grand scheme of things nothing more than a ripple in the pond.

Consciousness is the pond and all that appears (including words and ideas) are just ripples appearing and disappearing (arising and subsiding) in/on it.
The ripples on/in the pond are never made of anything other than the pond.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   

I do like the notion of individuality as a concept considering everything seems to be linked or interconnected.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   

I do like the notion of individuality as a concept considering everything seems to be linked or interconnected.

Forget about 'everything' and just see directly what there is to see and hear and know right now.
What is being seen/known is what is appearing on the screen or appearing in the pond (the ripples).
You are the pond/screen on and in which the light show is appearing ....but you are not a person. The appearance may appear as a person when standing in front of a mirror but that is just scenery.
The scenery (that which is appearing presently - always presently) cannot appear without the space (screen/pond).

This is consciousness - the knower/witness and the known (the scenery).
Stories made of words may appear which make believe there is more - but there isn't.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   
The father is the screen of consciousness and the son is the light of consciousness - they are one.
There is no other - the belief in other is the cause of suffering.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Consciousness is like a liquid - like the medium - in which the waves are happening - the waves are the media (that which is experienced).
The ocean is waving.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Right now there appears to be something - look - see and hear.
Can anything other than what is appearing be seen? One assumes there is a solid past and a solid future but really this is the big bang happening, always presently but of course there is no time as such just a change in configuration as the virtual particles are appearing and disappearing as apparent existence.

Out of this, in this, words appear that tell stories.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join