It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France makes it illegal to work after 6PM

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
It's the 'dont' push yourself too much' mentality like that that had them capitulating after two weeks in two world wars...

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
A bottom that is created by law and not by the breaking point of the human body, must be introduced worldwide else buisness will just shift where the exploiting is good.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Biigs, I work in IT as well, healthcare IT. I can tell you that I do not have a choice but to be on call 24x7. I have been "talked to" several times about not answering a call and/or text for something that the user thought was an emergency (but in reality it could wait till morning). I have had this fight over and over, I get told the same thing "that is what you get paid for". I am salary, I do not get on-call pay or even a bonus for that matter. I do not have a choice as you say.

JT

SM2

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Greenblaz
reply to post by Biigs

Biigs, I work in IT as well, healthcare IT. I can tell you that I do not have a choice but to be on call 24x7. I have been "talked to" several times about not answering a call and/or text for something that the user thought was an emergency (but in reality it could wait till morning). I have had this fight over and over, I get told the same thing "that is what you get paid for". I am salary, I do not get on-call pay or even a bonus for that matter. I do not have a choice as you say.

JT

Did you take the job knowing that that you would be on call and paid salary?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SM2

I did. Knowing that it would be for "emergency issues only" & "1 or 2 calla a month". They have abused that to the n'th degree, just about every night I get a call. Weekends are worse. I have called them out on it, but in PA the employer has the upper hand. Others in the same position/industry are saying the same thing.

Just to clarify... I wrote the original post to show Biigs that not everyone has a contract and/or can just tell their boss to shove it.

JT

edit on 11-4-2014 by Greenblaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I guess France needs a law to keep people from answering their phones when their boss calls?

Apparently social democrats need to be told what to do at all times. No need to do any thinking - the government will do that for you.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Well.. this seems beneficial to those in good pay, stable jobs ..
What about the low earning population, single parents, laborers, etc .. who rely on overtime to make ends meet..?
They will be forced to cut hours ..which in turn will give rise to under the table work .. where those seeking more hours will be exploited further in therms of conditions and pay..

This type of policy should best be left as a choice .. let each employee choose .. we all don't ride on the same yatch ..

edit on 4/11/2014 by junglimogli because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
This is a good law, shame it only effect's those working 9-5 jobs.

I would like to see more law's that tackle poverty wages, the bonus for working public holidays (Should be at least double time) zero hour contracts and making it illegal for a shop to be open more than 4hrs on a sunday.
edit on 11-4-2014 by SearchLightsInc because: (no reason given)

SM2

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

wow. unbelievable, what ever happened to the mind set that you do what needs to be done? Did your parents and grandparents whine and complain because they had to work long hours? So what , it's life, people have been working long hours since, well, since there has been people. Everyone these days seems to think that they are entitled to everything under the sun. BS, suck it up buttercup. no one is entitled to anything except freewill. If you dont like the hours required of you to do your job, find another job.

People need to understand that not everyone can work banker's hours and be rich. Someone needs to work at that late night diner, someone needs to be the garbage collectors and someone needs to ask if you want fries with that. Stop whining about how it so unfair that you have to work 40 hours a week, grow up and be an adult.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
My best mate has just moved to France from here in Spain.
He loves it. Less stress, less hours and more money.
Every second friday they dont work. In school the kids pay only 2.50 euros for school dinners, while here in Spain i'm paying 7.50 euros per day. The kids have every wednesday off school.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

andy1972
My best mate has just moved to France from here in Spain.
He loves it. Less stress, less hours and more money.
Every second friday they dont work. In school the kids pay only 2.50 euros for school dinners, while here in Spain i'm paying 7.50 euros per day. The kids have every wednesday off school.

Yeah, but the tradeoff is... well... being French.

I'm joking, people, relax.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I am fully behind this and hope it gets adopted on a wider basis.
I have spent many years working silly hours and taking calls outside business hours and weekends, mostly for stuff that can easily wait until the next working day. Thankfully I have recently changed roles and now have a global position, which means I work from home 3 days a week and make my own hours due to conf calls at odd times.
Another thing I brought up with a colleague a while ago is related to time off sick. In short, we just don't have time off sick any more, and even if we are bad with a dose of the flu or, even worse "manflu", we simply login from home, so are still working.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
With age come's experience -Sorry boss cell reception is terrible where i live

Must have been tired boss i slept thru the 2 am call

or you can always get the toddler or the dog to answer during the weekend

but be truthfull with the boss tell him about the raging wine habbit you have on you're own time
he would not like you driving drunk or operating the cell phone while drunk

Just look at the Japanese men in suite's and briefcase's lying in the gutter drunk at the weekends with the stress of work 24/7

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

SM2
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

wow. unbelievable, what ever happened to the mind set that you do what needs to be done?

Whatever happened to employing enough people to get the job done instead of always making sure your short staffed?

Did your parents and grandparents whine and complain because they had to work long hours? So what , it's life, people have been working long hours since, well, since there has been people.

Course they did - They also got double time for working on public holidays as STANDARD. There were jobs left right and centre, you were almost guaranteed work, none of this "needs of the business require you to be on zero hr contract"

Everyone these days seems to think that they are entitled to everything under the sun. BS, suck it up buttercup. no one is entitled to anything except freewill. If you dont like the hours required of you to do your job, find another job.

Mate, cool your sh!t. This is 21st century and if i wanna bitch and complain because i dont want to spend my whole life working for wanker's then you better suck it up and get used to it because im not prepared to work my whole life. THERE IS MORE TO MY LIFE THEN TAKING ORDERS FFROM SOME MONEY OBESSED COMPANY. Hard being human.

People need to understand that not everyone can work banker's hours and be rich.

Not everyone can commit mass theft in its billions and get away with it....

Someone needs to work at that late night diner, someone needs to be the garbage collectors and someone needs to ask if you want fries with that. Stop whining about how it so unfair that you have to work 40 hours a week, grow up and be an adult.

You're right, Someone does need to do those jobs, so why do we pay those people so little, treat them like there disposable and expect to work stupid hours systematically while threatening them with their jobs if they dont?

Your ideal world (Which is fast becoming a reality) is a complete and utter joke. Punks like you should be working 70hr weeks and being paid in gold bars. I want you to get rich. I want you to fill your boots mate because with your attitude to life you're not gonna have anything other than apple products - Made by poor people in poor working conditions.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I know next to nothing about France and I did a quick search but didn't find anything that addresses my question. Why are French employers so keen to call their employees after work often enough that this practice has triggered legislative action? Did they do this before the 35 hour work week was enacted or is this a direct result of the 35 hour work week being enacted?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Biigs
I really dont get it, if company's want you to be on call, just put it in the contract, they cant enforce something they havnt asked for.

And you certainly cannot be fired for NOT doing something thats NOT in your contract. Thats why we all have contracts.

It's funny you think this way. In my current job I'm paid for less than half of the hours I put in. The thought process goes like this:
We're going to give you X hours worth of work to do per week, we're going to pay you for Y hours. It's up to you to make sure it gets done. If all the work isn't done we'll find someone more efficient.

Here in the US contracts don't protect employees, they screw employees while giving a company a loophole to always fire you.
edit on 11-4-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Aazadan

Biigs
I really dont get it, if company's want you to be on call, just put it in the contract, they cant enforce something they havnt asked for.

And you certainly cannot be fired for NOT doing something thats NOT in your contract. Thats why we all have contracts.

It's funny you think this way. In my current job I'm paid for less than half of the hours I put in. The thought process goes like this:
We're going to give you X hours worth of work to do per week, we're going to pay you for Y hours. It's up to you to make sure it gets done. If all the work isn't done we'll find someone more efficient.

Here in the US contracts don't protect employees, they screw employees while giving a company a loophole to always fire you.
edit on 11-4-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

Clearly your not willing to jump through the hoops our corporate master's expect of us, Im sure they'll fire you for not accpeing that your life belongs to them!

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

You need to say "i wont do anything outside of my contract, so dont expect me to" when you go for job. Thats if its generally expected that you should, which is bullcrap.

You shouldnt take a job if you dont like the terms and the terms are stipulated in the contract.
edit on b2525513 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Biigs
reply to post by Aazadan

You need to say "i wont do anything outside of my contract, so dont expect me to" when you go for job. Thats if its generally expected that you should, which is bullcrap.

You shouldnt take a job if you dont like the terms and the terms are stipulated in the contract.
edit on b2525513 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

Whose to say you have a choice? The job market is quite poor. It's great to say you won't settle for a job unless it provides acceptable hours, but when it's illegal to be homeless do you really have a choice to not work and wait for an acceptable job to come along?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Aleister
This law protects workers from control-freak bosses. A fine law, and I hope other lawmakers work on it to make sure it spreads like wildfire (but only work on it before 6 p.m.)

It's not a fine law. Government should not be dictating the terms of employment. Unintended consequences of this law will be a restriction of goods and services after hours. Need a plumber after 6pm? Good luck.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join