It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Innocent Death Row Inmate Released After 26 Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
This story is an example of why I am against the death penalty except for extreme cases.
Glenn Ford spent decades in prison on death row for a crime he didn't commit.
He eventually would have been put to death for the crime someone else is guilty of.
His life was taken away from him. All those lost years behind bars ...
He admits he's a bit bitter ... I would be too. I wouldn't be handling it as well as him.
Maybe he'll have a Nelson Mandela moment and turn this into something positive.
God bless him. I feel for the guy.

Man Who Spent Decades on Death Row - Released

A man who spent nearly 26 years on death row in Louisiana walked free of prison Tuesday, hours after a judge approved the state's motion to vacate the man's murder conviction in the 1983 killing of a jeweler.

Glenn Ford, 64, had been on death row since August 1988 in connection with the death of 56-year-old Isadore Rozeman, a Shreveport jeweler and watchmaker for whom Ford had done occasional yard work. Ford had always denied killing Rozeman.

And what kind of compensation can he get for having lost pretty much his entire life ??

A Louisiana law entitles those who have served time but are later exonerated to receive compensation. It calls for payments of $25,000 per year of wrongful incarceration up to a maximum of $250,000, plus up to $80,000 for loss of "life opportunities."

So they'll hand this 64 year old man $330,000 and say ... 'so sorry, good luck out there'.
He has no education and no ability to hold a job, and he's old and should be retiring anyways.
This whole thing is a tragedy.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Posted about 8 topics down dear

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Please add to existing thread : Here

join