It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do guns matter more to Americans than...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Think what our cops would be like if we didn't have any.

WHAT would YOU do to the cop if you had a gun?

Dont you have one?

i'm assuming cops would be just like how they are in countries that doesn't have guns... i dont know like cops?

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

In the UK we have better ones as we automatically have the right unless it's explicitly removed. In the US you have to wait to be granted them or rely on a codified constitution which can't be updated to keep up with modern society or technology.
edit on 11-3-2014 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by bastion

What?

We Americans are born with these rights.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by bastion

And you have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Maybe read these 2 things.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Then come back and we can discuss.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by thesaneone

And? People in every country are born with rights. The difference lies in a codified or uncodified constitution and how the rule of law is phrased. In the UK I have the right to do whatever unless it impinges on the rights of others.

reply to post by macman

How so? All those rights are not granted unless stated in those documents. All rights over here are granted unless explicitly removed.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
To answer the OP:

1. The gun in the hands of the people prevents would be tyrants from oppressing us.

2. 45-50 hours of work per week is the mid range as we are hard working people. We are also those with the highest standard of living per total population. Take Europe for example, they are mostly entitlement minded and oppressed by their governments. They cannot have guns either. They're not really free at all. From this side of the pond to us they seem like they hate to work but love to live off of those few that do.

3. Free enterprise is valued here not despised. We don't hate the wealthy, we aspire to be wealthy. We can be all that we want to, IF, we are willing to work hard for it.

I've answered but a few of the American bashing points, so I hope that helps you.

link   

thesaneone

Nyiah
You're not American, Cabin, right? In a nutshell, it's because Americans, the professional consumers we are, are more concerned with our "things" than we are our quality of life. And one of those "things" (guns) is the cornerstone of what we think are the most important rights. It makes no sense to me, either, that a projectile weapon holds more importance than other legal rights. We're the world's Short Bus country in that respect.
edit on 3/11/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

What a bunch of B.S, gun owners also believe in all rights that are listed in our constitution.
We get very defensive when people want to strip some of those rights away, start stripping our freedom of speech and see if we don't have the same emotions as stripping the 2nd from us.

Americans are denied freedom of speech all the time and in fact can go to jail for exercising that right. Go to any of the political conventions like the RNC and the DNC and you will see no free speech zones. Also on college campuses students are denied their right to free speech they are told what they can protest and what they cannot. So where is all the uproar about losing that right? The reason why Americans worry so much about the second is because that right is where the most profit is made so you have companies constantly reminding people of the 2nd amendment rights and why they shouldn't lose it.

link   
reply to post by bastion

Oh you do do you.

Say, what right do you have in regards to firearms???

Or say, cooking with a charcoal BBQ?

Or the right to freedom of speech?

link   

bastion

And? People in every country are born with rights. The difference lies in a codified or uncodified constitution and how the rule of law is phrased. In the UK I have the right to do whatever unless it impinges on the rights of others.

Shhh! let them think they are special.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Oh good hell.

Where oh where are those places you listed being held???

Are they on private property??

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

bastion
reply to post by macman

In the UK we have better ones as we automatically have the right unless it's explicitly removed. In the US you have to wait to be granted them or rely on a codified constitution which can't be updated to keep up with modern society or technology.

No, you do not have rights you have privileges which is different. Rights are something not even the government itself can take away. In your country all you have to do is speak your mind and they will limit your freedoms pure and simple.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bastion

Can you walk around the streets with a gun?

This thread is about American rights not the U.K rights.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

luciddream

bastion

Shhh! let them think they are special.

Thanks, that's because we are. And you know this, and that makes us exceptional.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Believe it or not you can own guns, have BBQs and have freedom of speech in the UK.

No because only a complete nutter would feel the need to.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by bastion

Actually they outline natural rights. Rights that are not to be taken or controlled by the Govt.

They are rights we have, not granted by a piece of paper, but by our creator. The paper defines it so Govt would have a limit/boundary as to where it can/can't go.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Firearms? I have a gunsmith down the road and I can get one with a licence and a lockbox and a background check.

www.aaronwheelergunsmith.co.uk...

We don't have handguns because after Dunblaine public opinion wanted them banned.

I can burn charcoal when ever I want...
Never been told I can not say what I want in the uk also.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by bastion

Oh, so you can own an AR15??? You can openly carry a pistol??? You can own a firearm that is capable of utilizing a 15 round magazine?

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Oh, so you have a limited privilege for firearms. Some, but not others.
Do you want a cookie for that, or a parade?

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

buster2010

thesaneone

Nyiah
You're not American, Cabin, right? In a nutshell, it's because Americans, the professional consumers we are, are more concerned with our "things" than we are our quality of life. And one of those "things" (guns) is the cornerstone of what we think are the most important rights. It makes no sense to me, either, that a projectile weapon holds more importance than other legal rights. We're the world's Short Bus country in that respect.
edit on 3/11/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

What a bunch of B.S, gun owners also believe in all rights that are listed in our constitution.
We get very defensive when people want to strip some of those rights away, start stripping our freedom of speech and see if we don't have the same emotions as stripping the 2nd from us.

Americans are denied freedom of speech all the time and in fact can go to jail for exercising that right. Go to any of the political conventions like the RNC and the DNC and you will see no free speech zones. Also on college campuses students are denied their right to free speech they are told what they can protest and what they cannot. So where is all the uproar about losing that right? The reason why Americans worry so much about the second is because that right is where the most profit is made so you have companies constantly reminding people of the 2nd amendment rights and why they shouldn't lose it.

Obviously you do not understand free speech. Free speech is that I may dissent from my government and protest if necessary. That can also be done with money and by my vote as well. Over there you have a parliament that elects a party. So you have to take the bad with the good.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Like I said handguns went because of public opinion.
We don't need AR15's we have no wild animals that can kill us really.
I could carry a shotgun in a case down the road or a rifle as long as it is in a case or something...don't wanna scare folk.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join