It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manly P. Hall says Freemasonry is a religion?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2024 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I was given a book by Manly P. Hall a while ago as a gift. I've read it off an on over the years and just picked it up again and noticed that in it, Hall states that Freemasonry is "essentially a religion".

What?

Can someone help me understand what he meant by this? There can be more than a few interpretations.

posted on Apr, 21 2024 @ 12:45 PM
link   
That's a good way of putting it.
a reply to: SchrodingersRat

posted on Apr, 21 2024 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Beesnestbomber
That's a good way of putting it.

what year were you raised?

posted on Apr, 21 2024 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Some of Manly P. Hall's writings on freemasonry were done before he became a mason, so determining if that was the case and if his opinions changed after becoming a freemason is important.

Freemasonry is inclusive of all religions that are monotheistic. One creator of all that is. The teachings are based on the Bible, and other texts, but to deny that it is religious in nature would be wrong. I don't believe it is a religion, I do believe it helps a man navigate the murky waters of religious dogma.

posted on Apr, 21 2024 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Some of Manly P. Hall's writings on freemasonry were done before he became a mason, so determining if that was the case and if his opinions changed after becoming a freemason is important.

Freemasonry is inclusive of all religions that are monotheistic. One creator of all that is. The teachings are based on the Bible, and other texts, but to deny that it is religious in nature would be wrong. I don't believe it is a religion, I do believe it helps a man navigate the murky waters of religious dogma.

My experiences, also.

Many of my brothers believe in the God of the Christian Bible but are not active in church.

Add the fact that, speaking for me only, my lodge neither officially or unofficially, tells me how to worship.

I learn how to live in this world as a better man.

But most of those lessons I learned growing up. But if I have questions, need advice, or direction, my brothers are there to share what they have learned.

Also, when you become a Freemason, there is no secret decoder ring. Anything I have learned, I have learned. The symbolism and allegory are not openly explained.

You only get out what you put in.

I have brothers who come to the lodge one Sunday a month to flip pancakes.

I have brothers who attend lodge and other related endeavors, such as the Shriners, 7 nights a week.

I have brothers who spend their free hours in a library, researching and learning. ( Those are the ones I hang with. )

A bit off the OP, but not really...

The way our world is today, this topic hits me in a different way.

Usually, those who are at fault, point their finger at the innocent hoping to shift as much blame as possible.

Freemasonry has always been vilified. Anytime something is weird, it is blamed on the Freemasons. It is always "Freemasons are Evil." "The Freemasons control the world from the shadows." Add your own here.

In this world, the volume and intensity of the voiced calling them Evil, adds to my personal experiences, and makes me come to the decision that the Freemasons are vilified so much, that they must be the Good guys.
edit on 21-4-2024 by theatreboy because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-4-2024 by theatreboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2024 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Thanks amigo - that's what I thought.

I was hoping you'd weigh in...I trust your knowledge & opinions.

posted on Apr, 21 2024 @ 02:48 PM
link   

ask anything. I'll shoot you as straight as humanly possible. Glad to have you back.

posted on Apr, 21 2024 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

My grandfather left me a first edition “The Secret Teachings of All Ages: An Encyclopedic Outline of Masonic, Hermetic, Qabbalistic and Rosicrucian Symbolical Philosophy”

It was written in the 1920’s.

Would that the prior to Hall becoming a Mason?

posted on Apr, 21 2024 @ 04:31 PM
link   

It doesn't really fit the description of a religion or even a cult, the closest I can come to describing it from the outside is that it's a very private social club with heavy charitable overtones.

They never advertise the good work they do because from what I gather it's not outside recognition they're looking for. So within so without and as above so below comes to mind which are concepts many spiritual groups have adopted, usually said groups have an aim to improve the human condition.

These things are reflected in the scientific principles especially when it comes to psychology, effectively we are a product of our environment and you can only truly get out of it what you put in. Anything else is often just a drain on society and individuals which essentially breeds stress and then trauma.

Not that I've ever been educated in any of this which is why I cannot call freemasonry a religion, they're not compelled to act the way they do by anyone but themselves on an individual basis, I would say their group guides individuals onto 'better' paths though, that said. It's all relative, isn't it?

Personally I prefer the path of solitude although at times I can be described as a bit of a nutter... The irony would be even my path isn't untrodden. Masons are alright in my book, they don't preach.

posted on Apr, 21 2024 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: NorthOS

On 28 June 1954, Hall was initiated as a Freemason into Jewel Lodge No. 374, San Francisco (now the United Lodge); passed 20 September 1954; and raised 22 November 1954. He took the Scottish Rite Degrees a year later.

so November 22, 1954 he became a master mason. 3rd degree. A year later he became a 32nd degree mason in the Scottish Rite. Just as an FYI, everyone does this, it's not some super selective group who is 32nds. If you are in the Scottish Rite Southern Jurisdiction, you are a 32nd, or KCCH or 33rd. 33rd is an honorary degree as I'm told, but as I am not one, I cannot say with any certainty that they don't eat people, but if they do, they clean up good afterword's.

posted on Apr, 21 2024 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

while collectively, the group does do some great things, the focus of freemasonry is to make the man a better man, and giving others role models to aspire to be. to do that, you have to be a good man. So it attracts people who are looking for knowledge, and not just passing through. It does take some time and effort to become a mason, and it's not supposed to be something easily gotten. Just as the knowledge isn't just handed out, you have to ask. You have to be ready to learn as well.

posted on Apr, 21 2024 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Thanks for the info network dude.

It’s a gigantic book with amazing illustrations. I will take what is written about the Masonic Order with a grain of salt.
edit on 21-4-2024 by NorthOS because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2024 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: NorthOS

Hall had some great thoughts. And it's interesting to read his writings describing his previous uninitiated thoughts. There is something to be learned from all of it if you dig in a little.

it sounds like that book is a true gem. I hope you enjoy it as much as it was intended to be enjoyed.

edit on 21-4-2024 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2024 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Everyone needs a role model otherwise they run the risk of taking years to learn something that could've took mere months or less... A lot of my charitable work I later found out was done with masons. I do know that's a big part of their club. It's inevitable I'd imagine? Does the guy flipping pancakes or opening the doors next month get paid or works pennies off his dues?

Not all masons are shriners but all shriners are masons right? It might be a cheesy saying but I too believe charity starts at home. Knowledge is like a horse and water or the public education system for instance, you can desiccate someone for years but you still can't make them drink. It's always down to the individual at the end of the day.

posted on Apr, 21 2024 @ 05:15 PM
link   

to be a shriner, you first have to be a mason. It's the same as with the Scottish Rite, York Rite, and some other sub groups.

The masonic philosophy on learning, is you have to ask to get the knowledge. If it's given before the initiate is ready to learn it, it's mostly wasted effort. Like my brief college career. I wasn't ready to learn, only rebel. had to grow up a bit first.

posted on Apr, 21 2024 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Are we talking like extra degrees?

It was my understanding people can be invited but once in you'll be doing the standard stuff regardless of how long it takes? I might have that wrong.

My point with the shriners is that they're definitely doing charitable work.

posted on Apr, 21 2024 @ 07:36 PM
link   

ask anything. I'll shoot you as straight as humanly possible. Glad to have you back.

Several of us are that way. I notice the trolls however, think they are going to make us believe they are straight as possible on the facts. We know better. I have no experience with this one because I don't personally believe in being a part of something that I had not time to spare to participate, really. It is good to see opinions about the religious aspect in Freemasonry so honest. I would say it appears from the outside to be a good thing. Deep in all organizations, no matter the one, there often is a corrupt at the top reality waiting to act in a bad way.
edit on 21000000203020244America/Chicago04pm4 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2024 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: SchrodingersRat
I was given a book by Manly P. Hall a while ago as a gift. I've read it off an on over the years and just picked it up again and noticed that in it, Hall states that Freemasonry is "essentially a religion".

What?

Can someone help me understand what he meant by this? There can be more than a few interpretations.

What's needing explained? It is a brotherhood that says you must have a belief in a creator. Also where you an original member on here I seem to recognize that emblem!

posted on Apr, 22 2024 @ 08:14 AM
link   

With Freemasonry you can't be invited to join, you have to ask. The process is to ask any freemason, and hopefully he will put the wheels in motion. The back end process is to get you a pettition, and collect the initiation cost. Usually $100 or there about. Then a background investigation is done, and an investigating committee is formed. They are usualy 3 masons from the lodge and they will meet you and ask you some questions and give you a chance to ask your quesitons. Once everything is done there, you are scheduled to attend your initiation.

The initiation is the first step to becoming a master mason, and it's best learned if you go through not having a clue what is going to happen. You can find all that on line, but for the reasons of learning things as they were intended, it's best to go in open minded.

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask or PM me if they aren't something you feel comfortable asking in the thread.

posted on Apr, 22 2024 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Therealbeverage

originally posted by: SchrodingersRat

What?

What's needing explained? It is a brotherhood that says you must have a belief in a creator. Also where you an original member on here I seem to recognize that emblem!

A belief in a creator is not the same thing as being a religion. I have a belief in a creator but I'm certainly not a religion. I wish I was though, the amount of money people like Joel Osteen take in on a weekly basis is mind boggling.

And yes, I was a member for a long time using the name Riffrafter. I couldn't remember the PW and couldn't re-use the name so I became SchrödingersRat. And BTW - I remember your member name too. I hope all is well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join