It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portland Schools, Race and Gender Must Be Taken Into Account Before Disciplining

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453
Could it also be because of the fact that minorities and LBGT students are punished more harshly and more frequently than their white peers?

From 2016:

More specifically, youth of color are more often disciplined for vague reasons such as “willful defiance” than their White peers (Warren, 2021), and LGBTQ youth report being disciplined for dress code violations and public displays of affection more than their heterosexual and cisgender peers

School Pushout: The Role of Supportive Strategies Versus Punitive Practices for LGBT Youth of Color

Let’s put the blame where it properly belongs…

Numerous academic studies confirm that children raised in married parent homes are less likely to get in trouble in school or with the law; they are more likely to graduate high school and college; they are more likely to have higher income and be married themselves as adults.
time.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

Technically they are "decriminalising the possession of small amounts of controlled substances".

But where the likes of Fentanyl is concerned which is 100 times more potent than heroin, and where a lethal dose can be as little as a few micrograms, it's just just stupid and dangerous to consider such a notion, well-intentioned or otherwise.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

This is just gonna make things worse for people of color and the mentally ill that it protects. They are trying to make career criminals out of them by not punishing them.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrucellaOrchitis

originally posted by: FlyersFan
So if you engage in vandalism, you won't get punished if you are black or trans, but you will be punished if you are straight and white. That's certainly what it looks like. What a woke mess Portland public schools are. I feel sorry for the people who have to go there. The folks running them have the woke mind virus and are screwing everything up.

From what I read, it was the teachers themselves that pushed for this to be part of the new agreement. I think the children are incredibly fortunate to have teachers who so clearly care about the wellbeing of their pupils and their individual needs.

Excellently stated.

You are my new favorite person 😁

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 08:33 AM
link   

More proof of the Liberal mental illness.

So happy that I don’t have any school aged kids that would have to endure the forced stigma of being white and straight.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 08:35 AM
link   
So this is racism and sexism.

Plain and simple.

Going in the wrong direction...

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrotherKinsMan
So this is racism and sexism.

Plain and simple.

Going in the wrong direction...

I hate to break it to ya Brother, the Liberals put this country in the wrong direction a looong time ago.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I think it has more to do with the supposed trauma stemming from child abuse at home than gender or race issues. A child from the problematic family is to be treated more leniently than a child living in the normal family. And it wouldn't be all that controversial if the words "trauma" and "abuse" weren't overused. As it happens, merely spanking a child is considered abuse nowadays. The same applies to shouting or yelling at a child as a form of punishment.

This way any child can avoid punishment by pretending they suffer from trauma or that they have a difficult situation at home. But isn't it the same with adults? How often do criminals get more lenient sentences if their lawyers manage to convince the judge or jury that they suffer from PTSD or had abusive parents, therefore they experience mental problems?

This is absolutely insane but this is the society we live in.

edit on 6-12-2023 by twistedpuppy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 10:44 AM
link   

You know...what's hilarious is they got a 13% raise for 3 years?

www.wweek.com...

Portland elementary school enrollment has plunged by 17.3% since the 2018-19 school year, according to the school district. That’s a loss of 4,300 children, enough to fill about 10 elementary schools.

Overall, Portland schools saw a 7.5% decline in enrollment. In other words, Portland’s K-12 schools are losing students at more than double the rate of the rest of the country and at one and a half times the rate of Oregon schools as a whole (see “The COVID Drop,” below).

Fewer students........more pay.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: BrucellaOrchitis

I wasn't aware that wad tied exclusively to race and gender.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 11:05 AM
link   
So different rules for different students.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Due Process pfffft

14th Amendment pfffft

etc. etc. ✔️

All out the window.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Cvastar

Fewer students........more pay.

Surely the teachers should be paid to teach a class.

And not on a scale of how many pupils are in the class.

When i was a lad our primary school classes were 40 kids strong, now they are lucky if there are 20 kids in a class from my son's generation.

This means however that the teachers get to spend far more time on a personal basis with each student.

And those who require additional assistance can get it as opposed to yesteryears when teachers simply did not have the time or inclination to teach from much more than the blackboard.

Fewer students don't necessarily make the teachers' jobs any easier.

Point of fact it could mean quite the opposite, but it does mean the kids are apt to receive a better education down to smaller class sizes and more time with the individual students.

Unless of course, they decide to cut funding across the board down to lower class sizes which has been known to happen when attendance numbers tank.
edit on 6-12-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrucellaOrchitis
a reply to: andy06shake

It was part of a negotiated pay deal.

As I understand it, it is about recognising that some children can end up being punished twice, once by teacher, then at home. This allows teachers to use their discretion where necessary. Not all pupils are equal.

Lmao, woke logic never ceases to amaze me. And aren't you generalizing the parents of minorities by assuming they will respond a certain way? Plus, as others have said, it's the parents right to punish their kids when they mess up. But hey, let's keep treating everyone differently based on their race, that will surely teach our kids a good lesson about discrimination... I truly hate living on this planet sometimes.
edit on 6/12/2023 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Any change such as this will be abused by those who think it’s a good rule.

Segregation is the end play.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AlongCameaSpider

Suppose one good thing is there go the "Every Kids Special" bumper stickers.

My piss poor attempt at levity aside.

I tend to agree the system will be abused.

Considering it amounts to favoritism in the first place.

And once the kids realise who and who can't get away with things they will milk it the same as the teachers.

posted on Dec, 7 2023 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
So if you engage in vandalism, you won't get punished if you are black or trans, but you will be punished if you are straight and white.

Are we calling this the 'The Joke Agenda' yet?

Because you've got to be f*cking kidding me.

posted on Dec, 7 2023 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Democrats are bringing back segregation, to American, what a bunch of losers, that is what they are.

Anything for votes.

posted on Dec, 7 2023 @ 08:43 PM
link   

It's like they just want to ruin kids minds lol

posted on Dec, 8 2023 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I don't think people understand that it is much more challenging for teachers to be inclusive in this way but it really pays dividends. You can try to bash everyone into the same shape, and for teachers that is the easier route but it only favours some and requires you to discard/exclude anyone who does not or cannot conform to that model of teaching (and discipline).

I work with a really young crowd and I see for myself everyday how much of a difference this kind of approach to education makes. The benefits are so obvious as soon as you spend any amount of time with the kind of adults this way of doing things produces. They're the best!

This is a training thing, but you'll get the jist...

edit on 8-12-2023 by BrucellaOrchitis because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join