It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you guys deal with a know-it-all?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 08:31 PM
link   
You guys ever meet a know-it-all? I myself could probably be accused of that, but how do you deal with that?

I'll give you two examples of what I deal with regarding this situation.

Example 1. A group of people are talking about different movies. I mention the time I saw clash of the titans in the theater. Know-it-all proceeds to question me... "don't you mean WRATH of the titans?" I said "no, I meant clash. I know what movie I saw" then he responds "huh, okay, never heard of a movie called clash of the titans but I've heard of wrath of the titans, are you sure it wasn't that?" Like. No. Just no.

Example 2. Know-it-all says "they found Chris Pratt from guardians of the galaxy on The office TV show." I said "do you mean Parks and Recreation? He wasn't on The Office, but he was Rashida Jones boyfriend on Parks and Recreation." Know-it-all says "No, Chris Pratt was Andy on The Office" I said "no that was Ed Helms" he says "No, I'm pretty sure...Chris Pratt played Andy, goofy guy on The Office" I tell him no, Chris Pratt was not in The Office and he ends the conversation saying "Well we don't need to argue, I'm sure that Chris Pratt played Andy on The Office."

Keep in mind this is a person who admits they are basically illiterate "It isn't that I can't read, I just can't comprehend what I read and when someone talks to me, if I repeat the conversation to someone else I forget a lot of details and just make up the details I forget." These are not the only two instances this person has done this to me but it's like....come on. Why do you need to try and keep saying stuff when you are totally wrong.

I have what many describe as a "volcanic temper" and I sometimes don't know how to deal with this stuff. How do you guys deal when idiots are being idiotic?
edit on 20-4-2023 by Antimony because: typo.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Antimony

Ill tell you for 19.99

We both know thats a great deal.

Ask anyone!

But hurry as more people are waiting.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I google it and show them. Or just say google is your friend.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 08:45 PM
link   
By Denying Ignorance , of course.
Works as well in daily life as it does here on ATS.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 08:46 PM
link   

A real know it all? .. just shut up and listen!

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I try to remind them how hard they pushed the clot shot

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 08:54 PM
link   

The person you described sounds like a 'right-fighter', someone who won't ever let anything go because they always have to 'win' and prove their superior intellect.

One is unlikely to ever win an argument with a right-fighter, especially if both parties have a need to always be right.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Just smile and ignore . Best tactic.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Notabot12345666

I try to remind them how hard they pushed the clot shot

Coincidentally this person is still about once a week making the comment "I don't see what's so hard, just get a couple shots, wear a mask and stay away from people" literally like an MSMbot.

AND this person also thinks there was no difference at all between Reagan, the Bushes, Clinton, Obama and Trump.
edit on 20-4-2023 by Antimony because: typo.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Like this:
😀

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 09:25 PM
link   
You could always screw with his mind.

When he's right inside on something wrong like he is usually wrong as the right thing, and when he's wrong, insist on the right thing. Eventually, you'll get him even more twisted up than he already is.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 09:29 PM
link   
How do I deal with a know it all? I just try to avoid hanging around them. If you talk to them too much it can drive you looney.

I may do a lot of research about things, but I only know a fraction of what there is to know about any one of them. There is always going to be someone who knows more than me in a subject...lots of people devoted their whole life studying things.

When studying things I wind up running into people who think they know a lot very often, but in actuality lots of the things they think are real are based off of consensus of the time as the determining factor as to it's interpretation. They parrot things without evaluating if it is fully true or if the knowledge can be applied properly to what they are applying it to.

I am a nobody with no credentials, I just like to interpret things to find the truth and to discuss things with others. I learn from everyone, even though sometimes I learn what I should not do. I have an insatiable desire to learn and feel that the day I quit learning is the day I should die. Lies do have some truth in them to make them believable, and what is good for some people is bad for others.

I like to learn, and I learn from my mistakes too and also from the mistakes of others. I try to run self checks as to if I am interpreting things right, and I wish others would do the same more instead of getting on a path from believing in your beliefs that hauls you down farther into the rabbit hole you are creating.

It is better to remain silent and drift away from people who are know it all's or braggarts. Sometimes you can't do that if they are relatives or family friends, but you can always try to change the subject. Nobody ever told me life was going to be easy, I learned that by myself.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Stop arguing with that person.

You're in a factual argument and that person is in an emotional argument. The more you show them facts the more they will dig in emotionally and be unwilling to budge.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 09:50 PM
link   

You are arguing with someone about movies and movie characters?

Just... why?

Example one... tell him they are two different movies and ask him why he doesn't know that?

Is he just ignorant?

Example two... Just tell him that are two people having this conversation... one of us is right and the other one is you.

Then ask him what he thinks about Agenda 2030 and how it will affect him.

Flip the script.

You're on ATS...

All of this knowledge is at your fingertips.

Use it.

Don't let your opponent anger you.

Anger them instead.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Have you tried turning them off then on again…resetting them?

With a hammer?

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 10:12 PM
link   

"It isn't that I can't read, I just can't comprehend what I read and when someone talks to me, if I repeat the conversation to someone else I forget a lot of details and just make up the details I forget."

Compassion

Think, for one moment, that person must be going through a twist of life, possibly dwelling on the fact that he's not made well or perfect as he might have been led to believe.

In short. Walk a mile in another man's shoes. Ya never know what motivates a person to be who they are. Sometimes, it's not nice. Sometimes we're just trying to cope with realizing that we're all a little bit broken. Your volcanic rage. His inability to comprehend (brain no work!). Fetterman comes to mind. That guy is in a depression alright. He's probably in complete misery, never knowing if he'll wake up the next day or if he'll ever be able to talk.

In my own experience, I look back at a lot of things I've said and done in my past and I can't for the life of me understand what the hell motivated me to do half of the stuff that plagues my memories.

I think once you delve into their mindset or try to understand their situation - meditate on it even (just contemplate). Once you start to understand, the enlightenment begins.

It's good for the self. Might help with that volcanic rage you have there. I get that when I'm driving

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I think you are asking the wrong group of people. We can’t even deal with Old Crappy on this site. And he knows everything!!!!!!! Hahahha!!!a reply to: Antimony

edit on 20-4-2023 by TacoLoco75 because: Miss spelling

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Hahaha!! a reply to: xuenchen

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 10:29 PM
link   

What is it you want to achieve? That may differ depending on the conversation.

Some/many arguments just aren't worth the energy. Let them think they're right. Tell them you just don't care enough. Say you'll have to agree to disagree.

Save your energy for the arguments that do matter. Then have your ducks in a row, facts at the ready, so that you can wow them with your genius!

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 10:44 PM
link   
You are describing a know it all that doesn't know it all.

Don't argue because it is just useing up energy that could be better used by just thinking up random numbers.

They admit to having a comprehension problem so they are most likely not comprehending how annoying they actually are. Just let it go. It is not worth the time and effort.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join