It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The High Price of Japanese Seafood: Can Consumption Climb in 2023

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Here in Japan we eat fish and other seafood. Sadly due to fuel cost our boats here are not going out as much. We are currently trying to put together a fleet that we all can share the profits, but it is not going over so well since the man with the money wants to control the fleets.
It's getting bad here to where the local fisherman might have to start fishing in fear.
I'm here with the fisherman at the port and I see a lot of anger. The money man is trying to squeeze the local fishing people out of business.
The Japanese don't like to be bullied by the Yakuza that usually keeps the peace among the fisherman here, but I see a breaking point coming this spring.

The 2022 fishing season once again saw poor catches of Pacific saury. The amount of sanma caught was on par with the 2021 season, which was the worst in history (approximately 18,000 tons).

It really is bad people. A can of Japanese Sanma with tax can now cost us nearly 3 bucks. ( 300 yen )

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

If fuel costs dropped significantly, would the shortage be eliminated?

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

No, the water temperture has change the migration of the fish .
Fuel cost have always been high here, We set the price of fish, kind of like Chinese control. Our prices are set thoughout the nation here. The price of fish these days have taken us all by surprise. Just 3 small slices of salted salmon now cost over 4 bucks. That is just one example. The price of fuel is killing the small independepent fisherman here . What people don't know is that the Yakuza has a very stronghold in the distribution of the fishing here. In the past it worked out ok, they all play the game, but now there is NO help for them AT ALL. They seems to have jumped shipped.

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Sorry to hear that ! The life styles of many people, the world over, are going to change especially if the WEF continue to gain power. I like very few sea food dishes because it taste like fish !!

I used to get two lobster tails, a salad, and a Kobi steak for $3 ... Those days are over.... Now just the steak cost over $6 USD.

Today for lunch I had minced pork (Hot and spicy) and rice which cost me all of $1.20 USD and was more than I could eat.... I am lucky as I can eat just about anything as long as it ain't most seafood fish or any form of liver !! Fresh water fish like Bass or Catfish prepared correctly I can eat and even like sometimes. But fishy fish I can not get past the smell.... hahahah

There are different names for the Yakuza around the world as some names can consist of a government name...Rules they make and enforcers they control to manage a society; some are good at keeping the anarchist at bay while others, not so much......

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Nvm. I couldn't get the link to work.
edit on 2/20/2023 by EternalShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 08:44 AM
link   
was walking along the seafront the other day and you can still get 6 medium plaice could still be had for £5 (800 yen/$6) or £1 (160 yen/$1.2) each if brought individually..

while some prices are high most are still pretty reasonable as the bulk goes down to Brixham market, the remainder is cash friendly
which I guess is the only way to make up for governments trying to destroy what left of the fishing industries.

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 10:48 PM
link   
People in Japan and areas in that region have eaten fish for thousands of years and their metabolism is structured to utilize sea food pretty much. I have some of those genetics as a Finn, but am only one point sever percent Inuit/Far north Asian. I don't have all the genes that the Northern Asians and Inuit have though, so I cannot eat many of the things they eat and stay healthy.

My paternal genetics for this is found in about two percent of far northern European guys. But it is way more common in many Asian people near the Oceans. It is an adaption to a diet of fish and sea mammal consumption. Now the people in Japan and the Koreas and Islanders have this genetics and if they eat properly they can have a healthy life.. Most of the people in those areas like Japan need to eat stuff from the sea like they have for thousands of years. Yes, they can eat some other kinds of foods in moderation but not a complete change from the old ways.

I always wondered why my grandfather and all my uncles and dad on that side loved fish and I am the same way. It digests really easy for me. I do not need sea fish, I just need fish. I suppose stuff like squid would be good too, I should try some in a Korean restaurant some day. I tried making a Korean seaweed soup, the birthday soup, Boy did I screw that up...I think I will try it again, I highly doubt if the Koreans would even eat my soup, I have no clue what I did wrong.

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

The spring migration of seasonal fish are currently late pin my area.
There is a big fear the jellyfish will be a big problem this summer.

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Here in Massachusetts, the seafood catches are dwindling but a lot of that is because of catch limits and regulations on methods and tackle. The lobsters are also migrating to cooler northern waters and some experts think they may keep going all the way to Greenland, which would certainly have an effect on all of New England.

Does Japan do a lot of fish farms? The US farms a lot of Salmon, Mussles and Shrimp, but I do not know what other fish that they have been successful with.
edit on 3-5-2023 by charlyv because: sp

new topics

join