It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Made me stand up at the Dentist Today

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Everyone’s favorite place, the good ol’ dentist office.

I was told something today that made my jaw drop and I was seething mad.

I was told to stop, YES, STOP flossing! FLOSSING
FLOSSING FLOSSING FLOSSING

You know that little thing that dentist and hygienist have been nagging us to do for oh, at least the last 50 years.
We were even told flossing could help prevent heart disease. Is everything a LIE?

So he tells me new research is showing that flossing might do more harm than good by shoving bacteria and germs further into the gums, then bone/teeth. He said ditch the mouthwash too. Research is saying that we need the good bacteria in our mouth, and there is a microbiome connection.

Water picks are OK.

PS. I’m a person that flosses minimum three times a day so this is going to be a fun habit to break!

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

That is interesting.

I’m 43 and have probably flossed maybe 20 times in my life. Not one single cavity or any dental work beyond cleanings in my entire life. Bought a water pick about 2 years ago and haven’t used it once either.

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Thanks for now making me feel less guilty for not flossing every day.

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Are we allowed to dance "the Floss"?

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

That is interesting.

I’m 43 and have probably flossed maybe 20 times in my life. Not one single cavity or any dental work beyond cleanings in my entire life. Bought a water pick about 2 years ago and haven’t used it once either.

20 times, do you not get food stuck in your teeth?

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Wow - I have flossed faithfully my whole life, and no cavities for years. Every time I have my teeth cleaned (twice a year), the dentist tells me I'm doing a great job!

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Do you have a heart murmur?

Maybe he means you're being a little too excessive. What do you eat that requires so much floss? Just kidding.

But are you making them raw? To the point of bleeding?

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Hang on... My brother in-law is a dentist.

I gotta ask🤣🤣

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Do you have a heart murmur?

Maybe he means you're being a little too excessive. What do you eat that requires so much floss? Just kidding.

But are you making them raw? To the point of bleeding?

No, and no. I’m not excessive or rough and don’t bleed at all.
I’m just a weirdo that likes flossing and nice clean fresh teeth.

It wasn’t just me he told this to so this wasn’t a just in my case kind of thing.
I would say he is one of the top dentists in our region and actually the only one in our state that has training in certain things. I don’t doubt what he told me, it makes perfect sense, I just hate we’ve been told the lie about floss.

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Get a new dentist.

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 04:22 PM
link   

My sister will ask in a bit. But the text were funny. She's the office manager.👍🤣

Edit: for what it's worth. I saw the title and assumed the worse. Thought he might have pulled a fast one like your dermatologist. 👀

Or worse worse, talk about uses for po ohh ho ho.🧑‍🎄
edit on 15-12-2022 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Perhaps you have sensitive gums?
Mine never bleed, that might be your problem?

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Ok...

One out of one dentist recommends you continue your dental routine and find another dentist.

If you're ever in Reno, he'll be happy to help.

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I would say he is one of the top dentists in our region and actually the only one in our state that has training in certain things.

Was going to ask "Do you have new insurance since the last visit, and did he say that with dollar signs in his eyes?", but being a top dentist I'd hope he's above that!

Yes recommendations change, BUT for as long as flossing has been pushed I'd want to do a little research. Have the clinic refer a handbook or website backing this up?

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh
Get a new dentist.

Harvard Health

www.health.harvard.edu...

But, while the importance of flossing may have been widely accepted, the evidence supporting it turns out to be surprisingly thin

www.nydailynews.com...

Flossing has no proven benefits, so U.S. health department stops recommending the practice

edit on 15-12-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: gb540

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I would say he is one of the top dentists in our region and actually the only one in our state that has training in certain things.

Was going to ask "Do you have new insurance since the last visit, and did he say that with dollar signs in his eyes?", but being a top dentist I'd hope he's above that!

Yes recommendations change, BUT for as long as flossing has been pushed I'd want to do a little research. Have the clinic refer a handbook or website backing this up?

This dentist is in no way a money grabber and is very conservative in treatments.
I have full dental insurance.

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 04:58 PM
link   
As a younger person you probably don't need to floss.

But in my mid-forties I started experiencing all kinds of painful dental issues.

And yip, food getting stuck between compacted teeth was (or is) one of them.

The only way to get it out is floss.

Although my granny used sewing thread at times, I'd advise using mint tape-floss.

But trust me, when it's painfully wedged there, you'll use anything.

It's carry that around on a need-to basis, or that will inflame and cause the mother of ALL PAIN.

And then you've got to gargle with Chlorhexidine to cure the infection, which makes all the food taste funny.

Strange things happen to your teeth in your forties, but for younger people to floss all the time does seem silly in hindsight.

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: RonnieJersey
Perhaps you have sensitive gums?
Mine never bleed, that might be your problem?

Nope not at all

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

He recommends water pics in lieu of all flossing.

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Harvard now or 50 years ago...

Wow, I shall read. Thanks 👍

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join