It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists find treatment to kill every kind of cancer tumor!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ForwardDrift
Interesting find--hopefully the CD47 protein won't mutate in a way that prevents it from being recognized by the antibodies, yet still retain immunity. Either way, this is an astounding breakthrough, and I can't wait to see the range and extent of the drug. I do have one concern about the antibody: what prevents the CD47 antibody from recognizing the CD47 protein markers on healthy cells other than by mere difference in ratio of CD47s in cancer cells to healthy cells? Would this antibody induce the immune system to attack healthy cells after the cancer cells with CD47 are gone? Anyway, great post.

edit on 4-4-2013 by ForwardDrift because: (no reason given)

My thoughts exactly. Since it is a widely occuring protein among both healthy and cancerous tissue, I wonder how therapies can effectively target the cancer?
I work in processing stem cells for patients that suffer from leukemia, multiple myeloma, and lymphomas. This is exciting news, but it sounds a lot more research needs to be done.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Searching online, it seems this news is at least a year old, so all you depressing bods saying the Scientist will be killed are quite wrong, he still alive and kicking.

They are planning to start Phase 1 human trials next year:

For the last year, many people have been working to make clinical trials possible. We are now hopeful that the first human clinical trials of anti-CD47 antibody will take place at Stanford in mid-2014, if all goes well. Clinical trials may also be done in the United Kingdom.
Stanford University

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShortStuff
You're right, this will never get to see the light of day. The pharmaceutical companies would go out of business, and they won't let that happen.

Don't be daft, this is pretty much how every drug is developed. The University, if successful, will then hold the patent and license it's production to a Pharma firm, who in turn will have exclusive rights and make a nice profit from it and the Uni gets a nice income too.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
From stumasons link

This really is looking hopeful

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I went to a science meeting in Zurich / Switzerland a couple of months ago and I have been in contact with some of the scientists involved in the clinical trials of CD47.

I am sorry to say that CD47 is "just" another piece of the puzzle. Do not take me wrong, it will save many lives but it is still not the definitive cure. The current research projects are trying to find and validate other important molecules involved in this process.

As far as I can tell, and I am cancer research scientist, we are getting better but CD47 is still not the final answer. The magic bullet that only targets the cancer cells but not the healthy ones is still not known. The problem is that tumors are quite heterogeneous. Many things were tried but much more must be discovered.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
This is for the OP! Great, Amazing find! My heart is with you! My mother is also battling cancer right now and is 120 post stem cell transplant for Acute Myeloid Leukemia! She is free of all cancer but still battling complications!

You are in my thoughts and prayers! No one knows what it is like until you have actually walked the journey!

Hang in there!

Pax

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Kratos40

Kratos40,

Interesting, I admire your profession--and I hope you save a lot of lives. I'm merely a interested reader who likes to keep up with advances in medical science, so the discovery piqued my interest. As for the CD47 marker---perhaps the marker protein has a slightly different conformation in cancerous cells. A slight conformation that healthy CD47 cells lacks, perhaps? But the degree of the change in the conformation of the cancerous cell is not so much that the CD47 antibody doesn't recognize it, thus it attacks the cancerous cell rather than the healthy ones. However, how such a slight and distinct conformation is present among a broad range of host-cells and genetic variations is beyond me.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by novrod
I went to a science meeting in Zurich / Switzerland a couple of months ago and I have been in contact with some of the scientists involved in the clinical trials of CD47.

I am sorry to say that CD47 is "just" another piece of the puzzle. Do not take me wrong, it will save many lives but it is still not the definitive cure. The current research projects are trying to find and validate other important molecules involved in this process.

As far as I can tell, and I am cancer research scientist, we are getting better but CD47 is still not the final answer. The magic bullet that only targets the cancer cells but not the healthy ones is still not known. The problem is that tumors are quite heterogeneous. Many things were tried but much more must be discovered.

Ah, sorry to hear. Having done a little a bit of reading. I get the sense that the actual "cure for cancer" won't be a single targeted protein or molecular structure, but more likely a series of related (and non-related), interacting (and non-interacting) proteins that are observed to occur across a broad spectrum of cancer cells. Also, some targeted treatments will no doubt be needed for some particular cases.

Honestly, I wish the media would stop saying "cancer cure" as if there was only one possible route to stopping cancer.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ForwardDrift

have you watched the video i just posted?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
reply to post by ForwardDrift

have you watched the video i just posted?

Yeah, just did. Sounds like its doesn't affect the healthy tissue. No toxicity, right? Sounds like a win to me. Errr, I didn't mean to babble on without watching the video--my apologies. Anyway, good stuff---sounds promising if not ground breaking.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Imagine if we spent half of the 17 trillion dollars of debt we have accumulated on other things besides growing a few bank accounts.

Probably cure cancer, get off fossil fuels, and end world hunger.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Kratos40

Sent you a message..

Thanks,
Pax

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Figures, just after the recent acknowledgement of hemp oil killing cancer.. can't have these folks curing themselves naturally now can we..

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

You are in my thoughts and prayers! No one knows what it is like until you have actually walked the journey!

Hang in there!

Thank you , thats very much appreciated. I wish your mother all the best with her recovery.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
This story will be forgotten soon.

Everybody knows that there's more money to be made in the treatment of diseases as opposed to the cure.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
has anyone else heard about the success of platinum injections?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

This truly is an amazing find but I wonder what the after affects will be, just like everything else has bad after affects involved! I hope they finally found a healthy cure!

My father died of cancer back in December, 2001 and it would have been nice to have this cure back then. I truly wish all the best to your father and everyone else with this or any other disease.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Fantastic news. Maybe combined with the anti-neoplaston treatment that Byrzinski spoke of, carefully selected nutrients, foods, and herbs, perhaps cancer can be finally out done.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

The implications of this could be huge, if we can keep big pharma from dissappearing the research! Great Find!

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SimonXGrim

Why would they? Whoever gets the license from Stanford to produce a new drug on the back of this research will make billions out of very little outlay themselves... Rather than burying this, if the Human trials go well, there would be a bidding war from the big pharmas over who gets to make the drug as it would be a gold mine.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join