It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AI phrenology

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2024 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I have just watched a discussion on Fox news about an AI proposed ability. Some claim there is an AI that can discern the political party of an American voter by simply analyzing a neutral face photo of that individual.

So, is this Artificial Intelligence delving into phrenology, the study of head and facial shapes? It was mentioned that the shape of the lower face is thought to be the deciding factor.

Is this AI able to judge people by looks alone much like that debunked quack science of phrenology? Is this just another way to scare people about AI technology? Are some doing things with AI that are better left alone?

www.foxnews.com...

www.britannica.com...#:

Is this a step toward a brave new world or another step toward the end of civilization? I hate to say it but I think the end of human civilization is a little closer now. Do you trust a machine to judge your political beliefs by looking at your face?

edit on 27-4-2024 by BeyondKnowledge3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2024 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: BeyondKnowledge3

Reminds me of this.

www.nytimes.com...

Human or A.I
makes no difference in the end or reset.

posted on Apr, 27 2024 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: alwaysbeenhere2

Yes, but now the racism can be built right into the machines.

What if your ATM would treat you differently based on your face? I don't think people are going to like it.

posted on Apr, 27 2024 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeyondKnowledge3
a reply to: alwaysbeenhere2

Yes, but now the racism can be built right into the machines.

What if your ATM would treat you differently based on your face? I don't think people are going to like it.

They wont.

But its coming and it will be a short sharp shock.
China and japan have more facial recognism than we know.

posted on Apr, 27 2024 @ 09:06 PM
link   
AI can only operate on the parameters programmed into it, so if phrenology is 'debunked quack science' it stands to reason the AI version would also be noting more than a junk program that accomplishes nothing.

posted on Apr, 27 2024 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Doubtful considering such things are “fluid” subject to rapid ideological change brought on by our experiences and ever changing lives.

As the old saying goes.

If you don’t lean left when you’re young you have no heart.

If you don’t lean right when you’re old you have no brain.

posted on Apr, 27 2024 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Working with "A.I." on a few projects, there should be no thought otherwise of capabilities.

posted on Apr, 27 2024 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

According to the article, there were no parameters programmed. They just asked the AI and it determined the differenceses itself.

posted on Apr, 27 2024 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Well, I used to be a moderate democrat but now I am a Republican. I was liberal now I am more conservative because Liberals have gone overboard pushing change they have not properly evaluated the consequences the rapid changes will do' So I changed face because I changed my political alliance...but what about the good democrats that I still vote for...Maybe because my face changed I have to vote all Republican now because AI said I have to.

Hell, I am not even sure what candidate I will be voting for in the next election sometimes till I am filling in the paper to vote. AI knows though if it sees my face I guess.

So if AI evaluates my face in the future and says I vote Democrat, does that mean I have to vote Democrat, is AI going to take all my savings if I don't...oh wait, that will happen in ten years from now, the governments cost cutting factors will show my face to AI and AI will vote for me. I got to make sure I get a haircut before AI gets my picture.

posted on Apr, 27 2024 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

The problem is your search results can be based on what the AI thinks would persuade you to vote how it is told to. If you look conservative then you get different information then a person that looks liberal. One side gets lied to about different things than the other.

The AI will be able to tell you what it thinks will persuade you to do what it wants better than ever before. That is of the phrenology works at all.

posted on Apr, 27 2024 @ 10:59 PM
link   

According to the article, there were no parameters programmed. They just asked the AI and it determined the differenceses itself.

Still, if phrenology is junk science then it would remain junk science wheter AI created it or not.

I wonder now if AI believes in ghosts and hauntings.

posted on Apr, 27 2024 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Trust the science.

posted on Apr, 28 2024 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Double post.
edit on 28-4-2024 by BeyondKnowledge3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2024 @ 03:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

Still, if phrenology is junk science then it would remain junk science wheter AI created it or not.

The US Congress thinks it works. They had hearings on it. Politicians are planning on using this technology in elections.

You tell me if it really works or not. Comgress thinks it does.

posted on Apr, 28 2024 @ 05:19 AM
link   

The US Congress thinks it works. They had hearings on it. Politicians are planning on using this technology in elections.

Operation Paperclip brought thousands of German scientists the US so we could learn? From them. I don't think that when they lost the war, their perspectives changed.

Phrenology was used by them to find aryans.

AI does what it is programmed to do...including the bias of the programmer. And they may not even know their own bias. So AI "discovering this fact", is not it finding something new.

posted on Apr, 28 2024 @ 05:32 AM
link   
So AI is allowed to judge by looks and make assumptions, but when intelligent people do it because of millions of years of evolution to keep them safe it's some kind of -ism?

They can't have it both ways. Who cares what a machine, built by and going by highly censored online content has to say?

And yet the dumbos of society who never understand how things work will jump from an invisible sky authority to worshipping AI, the same way.
Because it's just easier than becoming knowledgeable about the workings of this world.

posted on Apr, 28 2024 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Bots scanning Facebook selfies probably could identify 95% of the political views.
Not sure they could identify all the false flaggers though.

posted on Apr, 28 2024 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Just how accurate is that data? How does it go with the swing voters? AI does have some tricks, as for being an all knowing entity, ain't there yet. Doing better than the average idiot.

posted on Apr, 28 2024 @ 11:32 AM
link   

No, you tell me! You're the one who called it 'debunked quack science'.

Is this AI able to judge people by looks alone much like that debunked quack science of phrenology?

I have more faith in eastern medicine than I do in western. Just as a simple blood test can't always diagnose serious conditions, it can show when something is amiss and give clues at what direction to look for the problem.

Decades ago I learned Chinese medice practitioners could diagnose pregnancy at three days of conception.
When one of my co-workers had an 'oops' and wondered if she might end up pregnant I was able to confirm that she indeed was....three weeks before any physical indication and before bllod tests at that time could have confered.

Perhaps there's a reason the western world wants us to think such things are 'junk' science and the religious world wants us to believe they're 'demonic'. Knowing how to tell if you were pregnat within three days of conception would create a huge financial hit on the medical/pharmacutical complex just by itself.

posted on Apr, 28 2024 @ 02:54 PM
link   
This could get bumpy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join