It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EARTHQUAKE NOW! Feeling it here in WIlmington DE

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 10:58 AM
link   
If we wanna get conspiratorial...

What if this was only a foreshock?

For those unfamiliar, you've probably heard of aftershocks, where you get smaller earthquakes after the initial one. A foreshock is where the initial one is actually the small one and there's a bigger one coming.

There's no way to predict that until the bigger one comes. I think it's relatively rare.
edit on 5-4-2024 by YourFaceAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

Our dog got upset.
I've read that birds will take to flight just before an earthquake.
A bird in a cage in a home can't do that.
Probably very upsetting for him.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:02 AM
link   
News reports of an active earthquake.

Officials say to remain indoors in the case of any aftershocks.

Police have the earthquake in custody but refuse to reveal its ethnicity.
edit on 5-4-2024 by TinfoilTophat because: And the Russian Judge gives the quake a 4.8

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTophat
News reports of an active earthquake.

Officials say to remain indoors in the case of any aftershocks.

Police have the earthquake in custody but refuse to reveal its ethnicity.

Probably another #ing illegal.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Will be blamed on Trump.
BREAKING: Earthquake felt in New York, New Jersey and Philadelphia | LiveNOW from FOX
www.youtube.com...
edit on 5-4-2024 by bluemooone44 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: bluemooone44
Will be blamed on Trump.

If only he hadn't pulled us out of the Paris climate accords!

(Yes, the global warming nuts really are trying to link earthquakes to "climate change" too. Next they'll be saying climate change is the cause of the common cold.)
edit on 5-4-2024 by YourFaceAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Just heard about here and glad you're ok, spooky stuff!

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: bluemooone44
I hope that everyone is OK. I just said on a twitch NYC walkabout stream last night that I was glad that NYC was not prone to earthquakes. How common is this ?

NY had one in October 1985 in the early morning hours. I had recently watched The Exorcist and the bed I was sleeping in was similar to ‘Ragan’s’, in the movie. I was starting to freak out when the phone rang and it was my brother who lived in NYC, asking if I had felt “that”. Fun times!! Stay safe.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: YourFaceAgain

Highly unlikely. The East Coast ones top out between 4.5 and 6.0.

Notable exceptions are in red on this map.

New Madrid is obvious. But don't sleep on Charleston, SC, like New Madrid, those rise to 8.0. There was a 7.3 in 1886. And like New Madrid the faulting is as old or older then the Carboniferous period. Cambrian even.

Some weak points are greater than others for intraplate quakes, but I have noticed the largest ones follow ancient scars. Another noted one was in Quebec. A 5.9 in 1988 (ancient graben associated faults). The more recent ones (Today, Virginia) are likely reactivated* faults associated with the third Appalachian mountain building event.

* And they are hard to predict, because you never know which fault will be reactivated and relieve intraplate compressive stresses. They follow scars like NMSZ, but can not be predicted by a consistent sliprate.

6.0 is about tops outside of a few noted areas.
edit on 5-4-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Magnitude 4.8 earthquake
1 miles from Tewksbury, NJ · 10:23 AM

I don't know of any faultline there.
Really moved here!

NYC should have felt that one!!!

It was on the Ramapo fault.

I live *very* close to it - right on the NJ/NY border.

Quake was pretty strong. My whole house shook.

I've been through them before when I lived in CA so I didn't panic, but my next door neighbor was freaking out.

I had to walk her back inside and make her a pot of coffee.

edit on 4/5/2024 by SchrodingersRat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:30 AM
link   
OK, I have to ask everyone effected by this;
"Didn't you feel the shock wave from Tonga when it exploded in 2022?"

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday

Tonga?

What?

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:36 AM
link   

No. Tonga?

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: SchrodingersRat

Really?

In December 2021, an eruption began on Hunga Tonga–Hunga Haʻapai, a submarine volcano in the Tongan archipelago in the southern Pacific Ocean.[5] The eruption reached a very large and powerful climax nearly four weeks later, on 15 January 2022.[6] Hunga Tonga–Hunga Haʻapai is 65 kilometres (40 mi) north of Tongatapu, the country's main island,[7] and is part of the highly active Tonga–Kermadec Islands volcanic arc, a subduction zone extending from New Zealand to Fiji.[8][9] On the Volcanic Explosivity Index scale, the eruption was rated at least a VEI-5.[1][10] Described by scientists as a "magma hammer", the volcano at its height produced a series of four underwater thrusts, displaced 10 cubic kilometres (2.4 cu mi) of rock, ash and sediment, and generated the largest atmospheric explosion recorded by modern instrumentation.[6]

The shock wave was felt and reported around the world, and in some cases twice. While on instilments the wave went around the world three times. Why does nobody remember this?

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Is it Delaware where Joe Biden was supposed to go and spend the weekend in this basement, after visiting the bridge that collapsed... the one he used to take the train across?

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeMustCare

Is it Delaware where Joe Biden was supposed to go and spend the weekend in this basement, after visiting the bridge that collapsed... the one he used to take the train across?

So, will the aftershocks be blamed if Biden falls during those visits?

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

Good info.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeMustCare

So, will the aftershocks be blamed if Biden falls during those visits?

He might bypass visiting the location where the boat ran into the bridge that he used to ride the train across and go directly to his Delaware basement to listen to records all weekend.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:47 AM
link   

a reply to: SchrodingersRat

Really?

In December 2021, an eruption began on Hunga Tonga–Hunga Haʻapai, a submarine volcano in the Tongan archipelago in the southern Pacific Ocean.[5] The eruption reached a very large and powerful climax nearly four weeks later, on 15 January 2022.[6] Hunga Tonga–Hunga Haʻapai is 65 kilometres (40 mi) north of Tongatapu, the country's main island,[7] and is part of the highly active Tonga–Kermadec Islands volcanic arc, a subduction zone extending from New Zealand to Fiji.[8][9] On the Volcanic Explosivity Index scale, the eruption was rated at least a VEI-5.[1][10] Described by scientists as a "magma hammer", the volcano at its height produced a series of four underwater thrusts, displaced 10 cubic kilometres (2.4 cu mi) of rock, ash and sediment, and generated the largest atmospheric explosion recorded by modern instrumentation.[6]

The shock wave was felt and reported around the world, and in some cases twice. While on instilments the wave went around the world three times. Why does nobody remember this?

Maybe because it wasn't felt here.

Not that it didn't happen, but there were no shocks felt in NY as far as I know.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Degradation33

Wow, East Coast earthquakes travel far. The shake maps are insane.

To feel a 4.8 as MMI III or MMI IV at 500 km away is absolutely insane. 10 times further than Western US/Alaska quakes. Older rock not broken by active faulting translates to crazy intensity distances.

Great info!

Thanks for posting.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join