It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California officer shoots and kills a 15-year old autistic boy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Venkuish1

This'd probably be a good time to defund, disband and disarm all cops.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: CarlLaFong

"In case of fire, remove sprinklers"

Here's your sign.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 06:41 PM
link   

And start using social workers for police 911 calls. 😃

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

And start using social workers for police 911 calls. 😃

It's for the best.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: CarlLaFong

Don't you mean "the greater good"?

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Nah, not this time, the kid was white. No need to defund anyone.

How do I know? I used the Ann Coulter method and since his skin color wasn’t used as a narrative I deduced he is white.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 07:01 PM
link   
sucks.
guy got scared of a guy running at him with a giant axe like weapon.
gotta put that dude down, especially considering he was harming the sister.

terrible, but c0p was justified.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Shoshanna

I dont know where he shot him probably should have shot him in the leg and not been lethal but still stopped the threat.

1: there is a reason that even in the military, heck even in top tier units they teach you to shoot center mass. (hint: harder to miss)

2: If you think you can shoot the leg on a sprinting target Im going to call you delusional.

3: there are 6 different arteries in the leg, a leg shot can easily still be fatal.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 07:11 PM
link   

From a police perspective, this is how it goes, bullets get stopped by kevlar, blades get through it like butter. A 5 foot bladed gardening tool is a sword, and actually scarier than a gun (close quarters) from a defensibility standpoint.

To be Captain Hindsight. Perhaps they should have tased him, but use of deadly force is reasonable. Not that one would instinctively think, "I better not shoot the autistic kid" when almost full grown angry male is lunging at you with a very deadly weapon.

What I can't figure out, because it doesn't say, is if the police knew he was autistic before arrival. Or where on the severity spectrum he was.
edit on 11-3-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Venkuish1

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown2
As a parent of an autistic son (high functioning, no medication ever required or suggested/offered) I will remain calm and just show some cops opt for ingenuity rather than lethal force

The moment thirty riot police tackled machete-wielding man with a wheelie bin

The US population is over 336 million, while all the other countries you listed far less populated. If you do a statistical analysis I think you might find your answer.

The point is: easy shoot and kill practices are mainly observed in the US. You don't get anything remotely similar in Germany, France, the UK, Sweden, Denmark, Australia, New Zealand, name whatever country you want.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Rushed at officer with sharp tool. History of violence.

I’d rather take 1 alive officer and 1 dead retard then 1 dead officer one alive retard.

Plus how was the officer supposed to know the lights were on but no one was home? The wheel turning but the hamster is dead ect ect. I don’t think he cared much in the moment….and rightfully so.

Plus cops get stabbed to death all the time and are all but useless in Europe. Why the f would I EVER call an unarmed cop? Do I eat at restaurants with no cook or food? Live in a home with no walls or roof…silly Europe. You get what you deserve.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 07:58 PM
link   
commenting before I read just to say, if there was a weapon in his hand, and he refused to drop it while approaching officer or any other individual for that matter, swiss cheese the kid. Now I am going to read what little details are available and edit my response accordingly.

Well, as I could almost instinctively infer, the young man was armed with a lethal weapon. Now for my other responses.

But even if it was true dies this merit the shooting and killings of civilians at this alarming rate?

Once a civilian picks up a weapon that can maim and kill, and then charges a law enforcement authority after attacking his own family, such an individual is no longer a civilian, they are a lethal threat.
officer in Europe often look like absolute cuckolds trying to deal with angry violent armed people. That dumpster video is precisely a prime example. How many other crimes went unanswered because thirty guys had to figure out how to disarm an armed man with a dumpster. Just kill the maniac and save the tax payers the money, and the civilians on the streets the burden of dealing with his idiocy on the streets.

Autism or mental illness is no saving grace from their violent actions. The boy was rightfully swiss cheesed and it is unfortunate. The good news is he will not become one of those abandoned drug addicts #ting in the streets and openly using drugs. After all, most of them have mental illnesses and had no support groups. This young mans actions were going to lead him into being abandoned by his family anyways like so many others who end up there. that is also in part due to a lack of commitment to resources for mental health in appropriate institutions.

However it is also a catch 22, as the old mental health institutes in the USA were previously a way for wealthy and politically connected to have their opposition or critics locked away into oblivion, and subsequently death in addition to the actual crazies that were locked up.
edit on 3-11-2024 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Always shoot for center of mass.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 08:57 PM
link   

I won't say there aren't bad shootings by police because there are.
After checking the links you posted this isn't one of them though it is tragic.
Take the autism out of the picture, it really has no bearing on the situation.
Take police out of the equation, if a guy is coming at any person with a potentially lethal weapon that person is in their rights to defend themselves.
The deputy verbally warned him to stop.
They attempted to render aid after the shooting.
I would venture a bet this will haunt that deputy for a very long time.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 09:01 PM
link   
You do not try to shoot an attacker in the leg.
It just doesn't work that way. Those legs were running, a nearly impossible shot. Much more likely to have a full on miss. Or a shot landed to the groin, also likely fatal.
Also despite Hollywood, leg shots are often fatal, big arteries in there.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 09:05 PM
link   
What did the family think was going to happen when they called the police? They live in the US; they know the police shoot suspects when their life is being threatened. But the family still called the police, most likely because the family thought their lives were being threatened by the 5 foot blade the young man was wielding.

originally posted by: Venkuish1

The point is: easy shoot and kill practices are mainly observed in the US. You don't get anything remotely similar in Germany, France, the UK, Sweden, Denmark, Australia, New Zealand, name whatever country you want.

Really? Never anything remotely similar?

German Police Shoot Dead Knife-Wielding Attacker

link

Sudanese man shot dead after threatening Paris police with meat cleaver

A Sudanese man was shot dead early Saturday after he allegedly threatened police with a meat cleaver in a Paris train station.

link

Sweden sword attack: 'Two dead' as police shoot masked sword-wielding man near school

link

Copenhagen Police shoot man on busy central square

Police in Copenhagen on Tuesday morning shot a man at the central Kongens Nytorv square after he produced a knife and acted aggressively.

link

Police shoot armed man dead at Brisbane caravan park

An armed man has been shot dead by police north of Brisbane.

Officers called to a Deception Bay caravan park were confronted by a man armed with a machete, sword and tomahawk.

link

A Man Is Shot Dead By New Zealand Police After He Attacks 6 In A Supermarket

WELLINGTON, New Zealand — New Zealand authorities were so worried about an Islamic extremist they were following him around-the-clock and were able to shoot and kill him within 60 seconds of him unleashing a frenzied knife attack that wounded six people Friday at an Auckland supermarket.

link

edit on 11-3-2024 by Dandandat3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 09:07 PM
link   
To address the question of unarmed police.
Very impractical bordering on outright stupid.
How does an unarmed officer deal with a dangerous person with a gun?
Perhaps if there had been four or five more officers they could have tried to physically take him down but the likelihood of a cop just wanting to go home safely at the end of his shift getting seriously or fatally wounded is still very much higher.
Do some more research on the countries you cite with unarmed police and I think you will find it is under certain circumstances, on certain types of assignments. I would bet the police forces in general are far from unarmed.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown2

There was thirty officers in this example. Not two. Equipped in riot gear. Whole different scenario

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Hard call and sad ....But he did Rush at an officer with a sharp tool...sure maybe they could have used less lethal weapons ....rubber bullets??

But I'm guessing this isn't going to help matters either ...
LAPD working to allow non-citizen DACA recipients turned officers ability to carry firearm full-time - LINK

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 09:14 PM
link   
They should have tasered him!

BWC footage released in OIS of sword-wielding man who charged at officers

The man refused to drop two swords and was not affected by a TASER before he charged at police and was shot.

NEW YORK — Attorney General Letitia James released the body camera footage from an officer-involved shooting of a man who charged at police with two swords.

Alan Weber, a former elite fencer, was shot and killed by officers from the Suffolk County Police Department on Oct. 10, according to the release.

The one-minute body camera clips show two officers entering a room to find Weber pointing a sword in their direction.

The first officer, identified as Officer Barrios, holds a TASER, while the second, Officer Vigario, holds a handgun. Both videos show the officers commanding Weber to put the swords down.

Weber responds by telling officers to put their weapons down. Officer Barrios then deploys the TASER.

Weber backs away but is not incapacitated by the shock. Video then shows him turning toward the officers, leaping over a box and running toward them, still armed with swords.

link

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join