It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An end to daylight savings time? Please!!!!!!!!!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 09:35 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

Sen. Ed Markey, D-Mass., and Marco Rubio, R-Fla. made a new push Friday on bipartisan legislation that would make daylight saving permanent.

S. 582, also coined the Sunshine Protection Act, would make daylight saving permanent and add an hour to the day. The Senate unanimously passed the legislation in March 2022, but it has been stalled since.

The bill would allow Arizona and Hawaii, which do not observe daylight saving time, to remain on standard time, as well as American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

I sure hope this works. I can deal with it being dark when I get up. But I really hate it being dark when I get home. I like the idea of ending this forever.

what do you think about it? Good idea? Bad idea? Don't give a rats behind?

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I think it would be fine, the world wouldn't end.

It doesn't take long to get used to it. When I was stationed in Arizona it was just interesting to see the big difference in when the sun came up.

In the summer time, it would start getting light out at 4:30 in the morning. Then in the winter it would be dark until almost 7:30.

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I’ve never liked having the clocks changed and when I worked nights , I hated being on the shift where it went back at 02:00, having to work that hour again.
I think now with the technology for farmers , I don’t think it’s needed anymore.

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Alabama passed something similar, but there is some weird federal involvement that prevents just moving forward.

whnt.com...

On April 20, 2021, Alabama’s Senate unanimously passed bill SB388, which authorized the state to permanently observe daylight saving time once Congress amended federal laws to allow its year-round observation. The state House of Representatives also gave its green light to the bill, passing it 93-1 on May 6, 2021. Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey signed the bill on May 13, 2021.

I am not sure how AZ et al gets to do it without federal buggering, but I am more than ready. The tricky part is choosing which STD vs DST to stick with. Being at the extreme of a time zone (TX vs AL) will probably drive different choices.

Personally, I can't wait till we go back to roosters and sunrise/sunset to to determine daily activity schedules. Something something no cell phones, hand tools, honest work, neighborliness, something something.

edit: I remembered the deal with AZ/HI. You can go permanent STD without issue, but can't go DST without daddy's approval. I wonder what would happen if they just did it.
edit on 9-3-2024 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I think we should have 4 daylight savings time days per year.

One 30 minute interval change for every equinox.

Joking aside. Time is a strange thing and it's not fundamentally real. Timezones weren't even a thing until the late 1800's. It's because the world is becoming more connected.

When are we?

We could nip the problem in the bud by converting to UTC. So we all have a basic agreement of when we are but that would be on par as the U.S. abandoning the standard system for metric.

Maybe it won't even matter in a few years, whatever those are. Maybe A.I. will come up with a new system that will bring time as we know it to an end.

Fun times.

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Bad idea. Keep it permanent on the fall back schedule, not the spring forward schedule.

In the fall back schedule high noon aligns better with noon time.

In the spring forward, high noon arrives too late in the afternoon. Inaccurate circadian rhythm! You can’t be a drummer in my band! You’re fired!

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 10:59 AM
link   

what do you think about it? Good idea? Bad idea?

OLD IDEA

The citizens of the United States of America have been petitioning their representatives in Washington DC to resolve this simple simple issue for HALF A DAMN CENTURY and still those pigheaded, self serving squabblers have not managed to do so preferring to put it on the back burner. After all, the issue is only brought up twice a year for about a week when concerned citizens voice their outrage as their diurnal sleep cycles are pushed out of shape. Once adjusted, citizens go back about their daily lives until six months have passed and the entire issue once again reaches it's predictable stage.

There is no excuse for this other than some much more sinister, Machiavellian plot to destabilize Western Civilization. Someone should look into this.

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTophat

The spring forward schedule is just minor nuisance, cuz the weather is getting nicer by then, and days getting longer.

But it will be a bigger nuisance, sticking to that schedule during the cold months.

This will result in a few more with weak tickers kicking the bucket a bit sooner than they otherwise would have.

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 11:07 AM
link   
It would be dark when I go to work and dark when I come home regardless where I live but I can agree with getting of rid of it for them days off .
edit on 9-3-2024 by Lidstrom5 because: Miss spell

edit on 9-3-2024 by Lidstrom5 because: Miss spell

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ByeByeAmericanPie

*laughs in alaska*

People are resiliant they would adjust with little to no problems.

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Are you really from Alaska?

Are the 6 months of darkness almost over?

Getting ready for 6 months of a Sun that never sets?

I’m exaggerating, just a bit…

Anyway, my point is about adapting clocks to the Sun more accurately, not throwing it a bit out of whack.

No matter where you are in the world, there are the same amounts of light and dark over a one year interval.

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Knowing our government, we’ll end of with four time changes instead of none.

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTophat
I think we should have 4 daylight savings time days per year.

One 30 minute interval change for every equinox.

Joking aside. Time is a strange thing and it's not fundamentally real. Timezones weren't even a thing until the late 1800's. It's because the world is becoming more connected.

When are we?

We could nip the problem in the bud by converting to UTC. So we all have a basic agreement of when we are but that would be on par as the U.S. abandoning the standard system for metric.

Maybe it won't even matter in a few years, whatever those are. Maybe A.I. will come up with a new system that will bring time as we know it to an end.

Fun times.

Bolding mine.
This line bugs me.

AI is not intelligent. It only does what it is programmed to do. It is programmed by humans.

What it "learns" is still the result of its programming.

Really sad that people believe it to be smart.

We are replacing the creator with our own creation. As flawed and as biased as it's human programmers are. But the masses will follow.

That Albert Pike quote at the bottom of my post says it all quite honestly.

We are being purposefully lied to and manipulated.

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 11:56 AM
link   

From no, but I live here now and as long as I can afford to live here I will. (the clown show in DC is making that tougher every year, like the epa trying to force a burn ban when it -50)

We are up to 11 hours 8 mins of sunlight right now, im nearish to fairbanks so we only get 20 ish hours of darkness/sunlight during the solstice. Works out to about 15 mins more sunlight a day right now and after the summer solstice 15 mins of darkness.

I heard all the concerns before coming up here for work, but my body fell into the rhythm almost immediately, but it is a slower process so easier to adapt to.

I know for me if someone doesnt say something at work I forget all about it and just wake up with the alarm drink my caffeine and get about my day.

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

Currently that is where AI is at, 25 years ago it was believed we would be at this stage in closer to 100 years, and actual autonomous AI closer to 200 years.

Now some aspects of the AI community believe we can have something very close to Autonomous AI in 30 years.

Terrifying times in my opinion.
=====================

On topic, I think we can toss day light savings it really doesnt do much besides annoy people.

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I want it to end! This is a very outdated concept that who we were told it would benefit (Farmers) don't care what time it is!

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 12:47 PM
link   
"They" keep talking about ending it. But it keeps going and going .... UGH.

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Awesome. I’ve never been to Alaska, or that far North, but would love to see months of no sunset, north of you. My farthest North was when I lived in Saskatoon in the 90s. Winters there I thought were pretty brutal. Used to suck all the moisture from my hands.

I think if I lived in the North Pole, I’d try to sleep 12 hours a day in the winter, and 4 hours a day in the summer.

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Its just becomes a thing, and when its super dark if you live outside the city its so quiet and peaceful, ive got pictures of moose in my front yard and I know bear are within a half mile of where I live when they arent hibernating, also have foxes, squirrels, we are trying to get our own murder of crows, and on occasion depending on how deep the snow is wolves will come in close as well looking for easier prey.

Northern lights, few people (fairbanks is second biggest in the state at about 30k people in a wide area), great fishing, good to great hunting, and the interesting old world dynamic of you leave each other alone but if someone is in need or asks for help you help.

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Daylight savings time used to conserve combustible resources for those who depend on long hours and illumination to pay their bills. We're still playing that game today, balancing emissions with productivity and revenue. I say, keep the daylight savings.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join