It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists one step closer to understand the mystery behind dark matter

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2024 @ 05:05 AM
link   
www.kcl.ac.uk...

We could be closer to understanding the mystery behind what dark matter is, following new research from physicists at King’s College London.

First theorised in 1977, axions are a hypothetical, light-mass particle that have been suggested as a possible contender for dark matter, due to the heat they give off. However, due to the range of sizes and masses they could possibly be, their conclusive identification has been difficult

Professor Malcolm Fairbairn explains, “Axions are one of the prime candidates for dark matter. We discovered that they have the capacity to heat the universe just like supernovae and ordinary stars after coming together in dense clumps. Armed with that knowledge, we know with far more certainty where to point our instruments out in the field to find them.”

Axions are a contender for this hypothetical form of matter. These low-mass particles must be present in very large numbers to explain the missing mass in galaxies. As these axions must exist in large numbers, they must also be packed densely in specific areas, meaning they become subject to the laws of quantum mechanics.

This would mean individual axions would begin to act in concert. That would mean that there could be large groupings of axion dark matter at the centre of galaxies, otherwise known as ‘axion stars’.These axion stars can become unstable past a certain mass threshold, exploding into electromagnetic radiation and photons

Another important step in understanding the nature of dark matter which has been hypothesised back in 1933 by Fritz Zwicky of the California Institute of Technology to describe the unseen matter that must dominate the Coma Galaxy Cluster. The galaxies in the Coma Galaxy Cluster were observed to be moving very fast for the amount of mass they contained and dark matter could explain the missing mass.

Most physicists accept that dark matter exists due to its gravitational effects on ordinary matter and there is plenty of indirect evidence to support its existence. But we are not able to see directly dark matter as it doesn't interact with light and no other interactions occur with ordinary baryonic matter making very difficult to detect.

Most of the matter-energy in the Universe is in the form of dark matter according to the current understanding. Only 5% of matter is ordinary matter (matter that interacts with light and we all know of), around 27% is dark matter and the remaining 68% is dark energy which is the tone candidate for the accelerated expansion of the universe.

The current understanding is that dark matter is probably made up of a subatomic particle called the WIMP (weakly interacting massive partible) or the axion as discussed in the article.

en.wikipedia.org...

Strong CP Problem

The strong CP problem is sometimes regarded as an unsolved problem in physics, and has been referred to as "the most underrated puzzle in all of physics". There are several proposed solutions to solve the strong CP problem. The most well-known is Peccei–Quinn theory, involving new pseudoscalar particles called axions.

According to the mathematical models Quantum Chromodynamics shouldn't preserve CP Symmetry but it does. Quantum Chromodynamics refers to the study of the strong interaction and CP Symmetry refers to the invariance of the laws of physics if a particle is replace with its antiparticle (C-symmetry) and if it's position is inverted - spatial coordinate inversion (P-symmetry)
edit on 29-2-2024 by Venkuish1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2024 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Venkuish1

So basically dark matter is made up to explain the observed phenomenons that contradict the standard model?

Oh look at that, it doesn't fit what the model predicts, let's make up something to fill the gaps...

Hmmm.... as if dark matter is the scientific counterpart to god of gaps...

posted on Feb, 29 2024 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene

So basically dark matter is made up to explain the observed phenomenons that contradict the standard model?

Oh look at that, it doesn't fit what the model predicts, let's make up something to fill the gaps...

Dark matter has been hypothesised to explain the gravitational effects that general relativity is unable to explain. If you include dark matter you solve the problem but it's far from being an unsubstantiated hypothesis because there is plenty of evidence for its existence.

No, your analogy with the God of gaps is just very unsuccessful. I strongly recommend some reading of physics. In science we have both direct and I direct evidence and the latter applies to dark matter as it doesn't interact with light.

posted on Feb, 29 2024 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Venkuish1

Dark matter has been hypothesised to explain the gravitational effects that general relativity is unable to explain. If you include dark matter you solve the problem but it's far from being an unsubstantiated hypothesis because there is plenty of evidence for its existence.

No, your analogy with the God of gaps is just very unsuccessful. I strongly recommend some reading of physics. In science we have both direct and I direct evidence and the latter applies to dark matter as it doesn't interact with light.

So direct evidence....

Show it to me.

In the last 24 hours you claim to be science, but your real proof is "because they said".

So, show me dark matter.

Don't quote a book that says it exists, show it to me. Don't give me math equations.

Don't say we know it exists, bc these certain things that we see. The effects of an unknown particle are not proof that the

You say science is observable.

So show me dark matter, or otherwise, it is again, just a theory.

posted on Feb, 29 2024 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Actually, skip my last post...

So, you believe in dark matter....a huge force in space. You can't see it, but your holy books say it is there.

My neighbor's holy book says God is that unforseen force.

So, does the existence dark matter (which hasn't been observed), has the same proof as the existence of God.

So maybe, as science grows over the decade, the world will realize that the effects of dark matter is the proof of a creator.

That unexplained matter could be God.

And boy, if science came out with proof of God, I think you would be the biggest science denier out there.

posted on Feb, 29 2024 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: theatreboy

So, you believe in dark matter....a huge force in space. You can't see it, but your holy books say it is there.

So, does the existence dark matter (which hasn't been observed), has the same proof as the existence of God.

So maybe, as science grows over the decade, the world will realize that the effects of dark matter is the proof of a creator.

And boy, if science came out with proof of God, I think you would be the biggest science denier out there.

Of course I will skip your last post as dark matter doesn't interact with light so you can't see it directly. You better read the post first.

Dark matter was hypothesised because of its strong gravitational effects on ordinary matter. There is plenty of evidence for its existence but it's still a hypothesis until there is conclusive proof. But it's most likely to exist given the evidence we have.

God (even if exists) has nothing to do with dark matter and dark energy and there is no evidence of any supernatural forces involved (as usual)

posted on Feb, 29 2024 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Wow, where did science touch you? You seem personally attached that science is doing science things. If you don't understand the topic, best to not make a fool of oneself.

posted on Feb, 29 2024 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

Current Understanding

Visible Matter 5%
Dark Matter 27%
Dark Energy 68%

www.energy.gov...

Dark matter accounts for five times as much of the universe as ordinary matter. However, we know little about it other than that it only interacts with ordinary matter through gravity. Despite our lack of knowledge, scientists do have overwhelming indirect evidence for dark matter. For example, scientists can explain how galaxies rotate and how the large-scale structure of the universe forms and evolves by dark matter’s existence.

The term dark matter was coined in 1933 by Fritz Zwicky of the California Institute of Technology to describe the unseen matter that must dominate one feature of the universe—the Coma Galaxy Cluster. The galaxies in the Coma Cluster were moving too quickly for as much mass as there appeared to be, and dark matter was a potential explanation.

posted on Feb, 29 2024 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Interesting thread Venkuish1

edit on 29-2-2024 by andy06shake because: spelling

posted on Feb, 29 2024 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Intersting thread Venkuish1

Most likely in the next few years we will solve the mystery of dark matter just as we did with the Higgs Boson for example.

posted on Feb, 29 2024 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: mechtech87
Wow, where did science touch you? You seem personally attached that science is doing science things. If you don't understand the topic, best to not make a fool of oneself.

Allow me to say, you don't know my beliefs. You don't know that I am an engineer...EE. I studied that and acoustical physics.

I understand science.

I understand the hubris of man.

I do believe in God.

I am a Christian...not a good one.

I know that science is the study of the mind of God.

Scientists who ignore the spiritual side of their work, are doing inherently flawed work because they are not looking at all sides with an open mind.

Not to be rude, but you are the poster board for that.

posted on Feb, 29 2024 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

So what would be the spiritual side of their work pertaining to the likes of the Manhattan Project and the atomic bomb?

Science is not about spirituality.

Science Is a tool.

And like all tools, the purpose to which they are set, donates benevolence of malevolence.

posted on Feb, 29 2024 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Man, I just don't get why this always happens in history.

Every 100 years or so we have someone land on a solid theory and even provide some promising 'evidence' through their experiments - and the same thing happens every time:
The King or Emperor or President and lawmakers, etc (whomever is playing the role of the Warden in our controlled world) - they stamp down any theories that lead to the truth.

And then they deploy 100 years of sanctioned scientists to put forth the counter theories and help cover up the truth that they want to leave behind.

From Geocentric to Heliocentric, from Ether to Relativity and Dark Matter, etc.

It's not entirely wrong to look at with skepticism - Anything that we are told is the likely truth or this century's theory.

I think of Galileo, I think of Tesla. and then I see Einstein and others that lead us into areas that truly do require religion to believe is real.

posted on Feb, 29 2024 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: mechtech87

Allow me to say, you don't know my beliefs. You don't know that I am an engineer...EE. I studied that and acoustical physics.

I understand science.

I understand the hubris of man.

I do believe in God.

I am a Christian...not a good one.

I know that science is the study of the mind of God.

Scientists who ignore the spiritual side of their work, are doing inherently flawed work because they are not looking at all sides with an open mind.

Not to be rude, but you are the poster board for that.

This is not a thread discussing spirituality or what scientists should or shouldn't do. Most scientists in the field of natural sciences are atheists anyway so the concepts of religious ideas and the 'spiritual' don't apply to them. Their work isn't flawed as you claimed because they ignore the supernatural world. The opposite I would say is true.

Back to the topic.

Solving the mystery of dark matter.

skyandtelescope.org...

Astronomers have found clumps of dark matter 30,000 light-years wide in the space between galaxies in the distant universe.

A team of Japanese astronomers has used the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) to map the distribution of dark matter on an unprecedentedly small scale. Their findings back up the idea that dark matter particles are “cold,” that is, slow-moving with respect to the speed of light. The find is an important step on the road towards understanding the nature of these particles.

posted on Feb, 29 2024 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein
Man, I just don't get why this always happens in history.

Every 100 years or so we have someone land on a solid theory and even provide some promising 'evidence' through their experiments - and the same thing happens every time:
The King or Emperor or President and lawmakers, etc (whomever is playing the role of the Warden in our controlled world) - they stamp down any theories that lead to the truth.

And then they deploy 100 years of sanctioned scientists to put forth the counter theories and help cover up the truth that they want to leave behind.

From Geocentric to Heliocentric, from Ether to Relativity and Dark Matter, etc.

It's not entirely wrong to look at with skepticism - Anything that we are told is the likely truth or this century's theory.

I think of Galileo, I think of Tesla. and then I see Einstein and others that lead us into areas that truly do require religion to believe is real.

No, don't require religion to accept General Relativity. All you need is good intuition and very good mathematical abilities especially in the areas of Riemannian Geometry and Differential Geometry.

posted on Feb, 29 2024 @ 09:55 AM
link   

That's exactly what that means.

Science creates a model and it becomes "established". At that point, they will make up anything and everything to make it work.

I get a kick out of it, personally.

posted on Feb, 29 2024 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Venkuish1

Of course I will skip your last post as dark matter doesn't interact with light so you can't see it directly. You better read the post first.

Dark matter was hypothesised because of its strong gravitational effects on ordinary matter. There is plenty of evidence for its existence but it's still a hypothesis until there is conclusive proof. But it's most likely to exist given the evidence we have.

God (even if exists) has nothing to do with dark matter and dark energy and there is no evidence of any supernatural forces involved (as usual)

There's no evidence of God, but trust me bro, hypotheses from the scientific community will think of an answer....one day....hopefully....probably....I'm almost sure of it.

We're all laughing.

posted on Feb, 29 2024 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew

That's exactly what that means.

Science creates a model and it becomes "established". At that point, they will make up anything and everything to make it work.

I get a kick out of it, personally.

Based on facts and evidence.
If better evidence comes across then science self corrects itself. In contrast religious dogma never changes.

posted on Feb, 29 2024 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Visible Matter 5%
Dark Matter 27%
Dark Energy 68%

That's quite the give away as to how much we actually figured out...

95% of the needed matter for our model to work is so foreign to us we have to dup it dark...

posted on Feb, 29 2024 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Visible Matter 5%
Dark Matter 27%
Dark Energy 68%

That's quite the give away as to how much we actually figured out...

95% of the needed matter for our model to work is so foreign to us we have to dup it dark...

There is a reason for calling this 'mysterious' form of matter 'dark'. This type of matter doesn't interact with light which means it doesn't absurd or emit radiation. It's a correct description when you can see it at all or can't detect it easily because it can only be 'seen' via the gravitational effects on ordinary matter.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join