It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vending Machines Using Secret Facial Recognition Technology! How Orwellian!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2024 @ 03:08 PM
link   
If it wasn't for the M&M vending machines on a college campus displaying an error code about some facial recognition technology in the vending machine, we and the students on campus still might not even know the machine had a camera and was using the secret facial recognition app identified in the error code:

Vending machine error reveals secret face image database of college students

Canada-based University of Waterloo is racing to remove M&M-branded smart vending machines from campus after outraged students discovered the machines were covertly collecting facial-recognition data without their consent.

The scandal started when a student using the alias SquidKid47 posted an image on Reddit showing a campus vending machine error message, "Invenda.Vending.FacialRecognitionApp.exe," displayed after the machine failed to launch a facial recognition application that nobody expected to be part of the process of using a vending machine.

That's a real screenshot, but I'm not sure how accurate the title of that article is about the secret face image database. That's certainly implied from the error message, though the company denies it goes that far, and I'm very skeptical of the company's claim.

My first question is, why does a vending machine even need facial recognition?

The first line in that article says:

Facial-recognition data is typically used to prompt more vending machine sales.
Why do you need facial recognition data to prompt more vending machine sales?

Something seems fishy about this and I wonder who is really behind it.

What does ATS think?
Does this seem fishy to you?
Do vending machines really need to use facial recognition on you?
What are they REALLY doing with the facial recongition app? I suppose if they identify your approximate age they might jack up the prices for you if they think you are an older professor who has more money than the young college students? But that doesn't seem right.

This caused such an uproar on campus that the vending machines are being removed.
Now that the word is out, I wonder what will happen to this vending machine company? Will more machines be removed?

There is also the bigger question: Are there other, unexpected places with hidden surveillance technology?
Who would have expected this in vending machines?

edit on 2024226 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Feb, 26 2024 @ 03:18 PM
link   
This? This is where the line is drawn? Not your tracker? (Cell Phone). Not your TV or dishwasher Camera?

Not camera's on every street corner?

Don't you know, that it is vital, that the FBI knows or can track everything you do 24/7.

How selfish we are, not to let them.

But seriously? We should have stopped this a long time ago.
But we did not.

posted on Feb, 26 2024 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur
If it wasn't for the M&M vending machines on a college campus displaying an error code about some facial recognition technology in the vending machine, we and the students on campus still might not even know the machine had a camera and was using the secret facial recognition app identified in the error code:

Canada-based University of Waterloo is racing to remove M&M-branded smart vending machines from campus after outraged students discovered the machines were covertly collecting facial-recognition data without their consent.

The scandal started when a student using the alias SquidKid47 posted an image on Reddit showing a campus vending machine error message, "Invenda.Vending.FacialRecognitionApp.exe," displayed after the machine failed to launch a facial recognition application that nobody expected to be part of the process of using a vending machine.

That's a real screenshot, but I'm not sure how accurate the title of that article is about the secret face image database. That's certainly implied from the error message, though the company denies it goes that far, and I'm very skeptical of the company's claim.

My first question is, why does a vending machine even need facial recognition?

The first line in that article says:

Facial-recognition data is typically used to prompt more vending machine sales.
Why do you need facial recognition data to prompt more vending machine sales?

Something seems fishy about this and I wonder who is really behind it.

What does ATS think?
Does this seem fishy to you?
Do vending machines really need to use facial recognition on you?
What are they REALLY doing with the facial recongition app? I suppose if they identify your approximate age they might jack up the prices for you if they think you are an older professor who has more money than the young college students? But that doesn't seem right.

This caused such an uproar on campus that the vending machines are being removed.
Now that the word is out, I wonder what will happen to this vending machine company? Will more machines be removed?

There is also the bigger question: Are there other, unexpected places with hidden surveillance technology?
Who would have expected this in vending machines?

Unplug the vending machines and that's the end of story. Everything works with electricity and if you don't want another spy either unplugged it or never buy anything from it and let the business die.

posted on Feb, 26 2024 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom
I use a large monitor for a TV instead of a smart TV with spyware.
I know my cell phone tracks me, but sometimes I don't carry it with me. It's actually pretty scary the way if I walk 30 feet to the other end of the house, or climb the stairs, it tracks even those movements inside the house. I know because I can see those added to the fitness app. That's disconcerting, however it should be public knowledge by now that smart phones are trackers. I can usually spot the cams on the street corners. Maybe they try to make those obvious, hoping people will behave better if they know they are being recorded?

For me, one line that was crossed by this vending machine app is the secrecy. Nobody knew or expected that vending machines would be using secret facial recognition.

Though that shouldn't imply that I want a vending machine to have facial recognition as long as I know about it.

posted on Feb, 26 2024 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Venkuish1
Unplug the vending machines and that's the end of story. Everything works with electricity and if you don't want another spy either unplugged it or never buy anything from it and let the business die.
But then the unplugged machine wouldn't dispense the M&M snack I needed before my next class. It's hard to pay attention to the professor when you're hungry and your stomach is growling, and the other students give you looks when they hear that noise.

If you can access the plug, that should work, but I've seen some vending machine installations where it wasn't easy to access the plug, you had to move the machine to access it and they are heavy. Plus I'm not sure if the university has any rules about students tampering with equipment installed on campus, they probably do. Students were trying other ways to defeat the tech though, like putting chewing gum over the secret hidden camera spot, to block its view.

posted on Feb, 26 2024 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

:SNORT: :LOL: :LMAO:

I'll never get the coffee out of the carpet.

I'm sending you the bill...

posted on Feb, 26 2024 @ 05:48 PM
link   
They want to put targeted ads everywhere, I swear that's what it is.
They'll recognize your face and pull up the marketing profile they have on you,
with all your Google search analytics and your location history.

I downloaded an OFFLINE audio player for my phone and it has loud TEMU ads randomly playing between songs.

It's always TEMU too. I fantasize about meeting the actors in those ads and doing creative manuevers with a No.2 pencil.

Neuralink chips will have ads too.
Toasters will have a screen and speaker to show you ads.
A screen in your shower curtain to sell you Old Spice and a camera to observe your junk and see if you might want the new Gilette Manscaper 5000...

I almost forgot microphones in ur toilet to analyse your bowel health and listen for TP usage,
and olfactory sensors and cameras and screens in your vanity mirror to see if you wanna try some "organic" but bad at masking B.O., Lumi deodorant.

It's gonna be a Cyberpunk world soon.

EDIT: clothing brands have gotten people to willingly wear advertisements for their own brand for decades,
I always found that dumb. NGL, if I see a brand name on someone's clothing, I think less of them.
I can't help it. But, hey, that's people I guess.

a reply to: chiefsmom

edit on 26/2/24 by TheValeyard because: clarification

edit on 26/2/24 by TheValeyard because: clarification

posted on Feb, 26 2024 @ 05:57 PM
link   
LOL!

If I ever find myself in front of one of these fancy new machines (there was one in the ER a month or so ago when I had a break and was waiting to be seen, evaluated and transferred to a proper facility for re-stablization, but I couldn't figure out how the darn thing worked) I hope it doesn't mind if I make a goofy face at it.

One of the drawback of being a reptillian shapeshifter is that the modern scanning machines sometimes can't pinpoint my hologprahic self versus my hideous mammalian form, and I always end up looking like a doofus.

This is why I'll never make it in the acting community, I just look too weird on camera.

So tell me, how are these machines dealing with the UNIVERSITY crowds?

Are they compliant to thought forms and projections?

Does Professor X have a similar machine at his School for Gifted Students?

Is this all super duper Sirius Cybernetics Corperation just doing their thing or do we need to forget the primary motto of DON'T PANIC and completely start a war against the Machines we are destined to lose?

Or do we just exercise our Freedoms and look for a machine more in line with coins and bills and the things we are used to and accustomed to as older generational personas? Maybe just use a gas station or convience store or grab a case of rack of bottles at the grocery store instead?

How far are we going to go with worrying about the Future?

Are we missing out on the Joy of The Present?

Are we focusing on the wrong things?

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!

edit on 2/26/24 by GENERAL EYES because: spellin' correction....cause momma raised a weirdo but not no fool

posted on Feb, 26 2024 @ 06:07 PM
link   
So, I must ask something, because I don't often get to chat with a lizard person:
Can you shapeshift individual parts of your body,
and if so, could you turn your tatas into lawn sprinklers or Nerf guns?
That'd be dope.

a reply to: GENERAL EYES

posted on Feb, 26 2024 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TheValeyard

They want to put targeted ads everywhere, I swear that's what it is.

Phil Dick incorporated this coming attraction in his SF novels way back then. The idea that entering an airport, say, hidden computers in the walls would send out little holographic images to plague people as they walked along geared to their known preferences. What a guy he was, his sci/fi is in so many ways today' reality.

I too recognized this trend to putting a brand on clothing and things. Back when I first saw this is was a simple alligator on the front of the shirt but it grew into much more. Since then, back in the 70s I never buy clothing with a brand on it but at times, if it was a necessary thing, something for work for instance, overalls, the first thing I would do on getting it home would be to sit down with a stitch remover and take the emblems off of the product. If shoes, I would take a blackout marker and cover up the logo.

Now it seems we are all walking and driving billboards.

posted on Feb, 26 2024 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Are the campus machines being used as part of a trial?

Chances are that the captured images, are probably cross checked with government data based, matched to face book to learn who your friends ands family are your associates, whether you post bad stuff that may detriment you future so it’s probably keep clean or dint graduate.

Also if this is to be rolled out nationwide, a suspect on the run ccould be located faster.

Though the privacy implications are more serious.

Woolworths in Australia have live cameras in the checkout to watch your facial expressions, an over head camera, and one to each of all items are scanned.

I tested the ai tech, bought shallots, searched for beans, selected beans, and weighed them.

The register went full red alert, and a siren, and a red light went off.

The tech is pathetic.

posted on Feb, 26 2024 @ 09:24 PM
link   

It will of you smash the glass! Not that I condone this behaviour!

posted on Feb, 26 2024 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: BingoMcGoof

It’s hilarious, people spend hundreds on team sports jackets, clothing etc.

I flat out refuse to buy a 500 dollar jacket to promote associated sponsors.

Ridiculous

posted on Feb, 26 2024 @ 10:02 PM
link   
This is why I don’t go anywhere without scotch tape, duh.

posted on Feb, 26 2024 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheValeyard
So, I must ask something, because I don't often get to chat with a lizard person:
Can you shapeshift individual parts of your body,
and if so, could you turn your tatas into lawn sprinklers or Nerf guns?
That'd be dope.

a reply to: GENERAL EYES

Hahahahahahahahaha!

In short order, yeah.
Sure thing, man.

Just don't tell my parents I've been owning up to this, they'd disown me.

It's supposed to be very hush hush.

edit on 2/26/24 by GENERAL EYES because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2024 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Also there I'm sure in arcade games, self-checkout scanners and more.

posted on Feb, 26 2024 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Cavemannick

I shop at secondhand stores and thrift stores for name brands, just because I'm picky about some things.

Found a pair of jeans that would cost $150 new for $5.

I've also redonated them when my weight fluxuates because I take good care of things.

Quality craftsmanship is quality craftsmanship, be it in Textiles or Machine Shops.

I also give newer brands a shot if the quality is there.

It's all part of the game.

Fashion and function, form and design, sustainablitiy and long shelf life.

edit on 2/26/24 by GENERAL EYES because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Ah , Wear a Mask when using them . Problem Solved .

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur
the M&Ms

What does ATS think?

I think M&Ms are against my health

My health doctor told me to avoid any red color in my eating routine as I have stomache GERD

The Doctor said No RED in what I eat

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: KrustyKrab
This is why I don’t go anywhere without scotch tape, duh.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join