It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Less worried about the executive than congress

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I have some serious concerns about the effectiveness of the 118th Congress. I am even more concerned than the results of the presidential election.

As of todays date, the 118th has enacted all of 34 legislations, potentially the fewest of any congress in recent history if current trends continue.

This has me concerned because important legislation that affect and benefit you or I are not being enacted. This I believe will continue despite who sits in I the executive branch. The democrats and groups within the GOP will most certainly continue to leverage the current and future environment to empower or benefit themselves while the citizenry receives no benefit.

We need to get beyond this partisanship and find more common ground to enact more meaningful policy that will start improving the lives of the American people.

The average number of enacted legislation is about 304 over the last 8 sessions of congress.

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: EndTime

Bills originate in the House. The House is controlled by the GOP. The House is more worried with scoring interviews on Fox and Newsmax than passing any meaningful legislation.

If you're worried about the lack of legislation being passed, that's where you need to look.

link   

No.

Just . . . .no.

What laws need to be passed?

What rights are being violated?

Congress needs to go back to no salary, no benefits and a part-time role in government.
edit on 17-1-2024 by DBCowboy because: boomer

link   
I’m concerned as well.
It has the most DEI plants in the history of congress, ever. They’ve always been there but the amount of them now occupying space in the legislatures is gross.
Not even close to the best and brightest, on both sides.
Vote them out as you’re able.

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

No.

Just . . . .no.

Congress needs to go back to no salary, no benefits and a part-time role in government.

Why no?

I never mentioned anything about rights being violated, can you expand on this?

I don’t disagree with your comments about compensation and time off, but I believe we need a government, even a smaller one, to pass meaningful laws.

I am most interested in laws that improve healthcare, security and strengthen the economy.
edit on 17-1-2024 by EndTime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 06:28 PM
link   

What laws do we need to pass?

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Yeah I'd like to know too!

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I would like S. 3234 Government Surveillance Reform Act of 2023 to pass all bodies. This bill looks to reduce the amount of government surveillance on Americans.

Based on your posturing, I would imagine You would be for that right?

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: EndTime

I would like S. 3234 Government Surveillance Act of 2023 to pass all bodies. This bill looks to reduce the amount of government survey lien r on Americans. You would be for that right?

So you want to rescind laws, not pass them, correct?

Not going to happen skipper.

Even republicans wanted to "replace" Obamacare and not just eliminate it.

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: WingDingLuey

I would like S. 3234 Government Surveillance Reform Act of 2023 to pass all bodies. This bill looks to reduce the amount of government surveillance on Americans.

Would you like this bill to pass the senate and congress?

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 06:45 PM
link   

I would like S. 3234 Government Surveillance Act of 2023 to pass all bodies. This bill looks to reduce the amount of government survey lien r on Americans. You would be for that right?

The bill reforms section 702 of the foreign intelligence surveillance act, hopefully to prevent warrantless searches and prevents collection of domestic communication.

Did you even try to understand before making your comment?

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 06:59 PM
link   

I would counter your assertion by saying that the less congress does the better for everyone.

They are directly to blame for the current situation.

I for one would reverse everything they have passed for the last 80 years at least, with maybe a small handful of exceptions.

Our system of government was specifically designed to make it very difficult to pass new laws and regulations. Fewer chances for them the f*ck things up.

I would make super-majorities un-Constitutional, that's always when the really screw us.

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 07:04 PM
link   

The bill reforms section 702 of the foreign intelligence surveillance act, hopefully to prevent warrantless searches and prevents collection of domestic communication.

Oh my, I understand.

Do YOU understand that congress, republicans and democrats will not pass a law that restricts government?

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 07:18 PM
link   

No.

Just . . . .no.

Why no?

I never mentioned anything about rights being violated, can you expand on this?

I don’t disagree with your comments about compensation and time off, but I believe we need a government, even a smaller one, to pass meaningful laws.

I am most interested in laws that improve healthcare, security and strengthen the economy.

What Law has ever improved freedom?

Most laws end up hurting the people they're supposed to help.

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: WingDingLuey

Would you like this bill to pass the senate and congress?

Sure but those Bills are usually a ruse. Nothing prevents Agencies from doing things anyway, law or no law they just do it like we often see.

Latest example exposed:🥶️

'Alarming' surveillance: Feds asked banks to search private transactions for terms like ‘MAGA,’ ‘Trump’

One bank allegedly handed over information to FBI 'voluntarily and without any legal process'

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Oh my, I understand.

Do YOU understand that congress, republicans and democrats will not pass a law that restricts government?

I do. That is the point of this whole thread. The current congress in particular being far more ineffective in making reforms that are important to me.

I sense we are on the same page, but you have been adversarial with me on the subject. Am I misinterpreting and we are kindred spirits on this matter?

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I'm for less laws, period.

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Agreed. But, as you yourself have said, it is almost impossible to rescind laws and restrict government, so why not try through reform? We can on achieve legislative reform through an effective congress.

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Agreed. But, as you yourself have said, it is almost impossible to rescind laws and restrict government, so why not try through reform? We can on achieve legislative reform through an effective congress.

lol

So we ask government to do what government doesn't want to do.

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 07:45 PM
link   

lol

So we ask government to do what government doesn't want to do.

They are our elected officials and representatives, they should, and if they don’t, they should be voted out.

Unfortunately, I believe that the majority of people are too distracted to hold their representatives accountable.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join