It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive earthquake jolts Japan, residents evacuate coast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 03:27 AM
link   
This is not a good start to the New Year. Hopefully there are not too many injured and the damage is minimal. Japanese authorities have said there's no damage to nuclear reactors, so at least that's some good news.

www.reuters.com...

TOKYO, Jan 1 (Reuters) - A powerful earthquake and tsunami struck central Japan and its western coast on Monday, triggering warnings for residents to evacuate, knocking out power to thousands of homes and disrupting flights and rail services to the affected region.

The quake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.6 triggered waves of around 1 metre along parts of the Sea of Japan coast with a larger wave expected, public broadcaster NHK reported.

The Japan Meteorological Agency has issued tsunami warnings for the coastal prefectures of Ishikawa, Niigata and Toyama. Russia also issued tsunami warnings in its far eastern cities of Vladivostok and Nakhodka.

Authorities are still assessing the extent of the damage and residents need to prepare for any more tremors, Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said in comments aired on NHK.

"Residents need to stay on alert for further possible quakes and I urge people in areas where tsunamis are expected to evacuate as soon as possible," Kishida said.

edit on 1-1-2024 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I lived in Japan from 1983 to 1986. Three years stationed at Camp Zama. That place was ROCKING. We had earthquakes all the time. My first one was a 6.5 and that happened after I had been there only a couple of weeks. Everyone thought that Mt. Fuji was going to erupt at some point and the whole place "slide into the ocean" ... like what people say about California. It never happened ... but boy did we get earthquakes!

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Any updates David?

a reply to: DAVID64

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Wouldn't surprise me if some of these quakes are being triggered by Underwater Subs with missiles or underwater UFO's with missles

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 07:01 AM
link   
This is a big quake at 7.6mag.
Sky news are reporting that tsunamis are expected and they are showing footage of some serious fires and damage.

What an awful start to 2024 for Japan.
I hope everyone has time to get to safety.

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 08:40 AM
link   
This is on the Sea of Japan side.

A bunch of aftershocks are being reported from 4M to nearly 5M. You can see video of shoppers on some news feeds as the main 7.6M hit.

Japan has removed the tsunami warnings and the Philippines, N/S Korea, and Russia also issued warnings.

After the 7.2 (initial reports were as high as 7.9 M) hit Anchorage, all of AK was shaking for an hour.

Seems to be a major fault slip.

USGS list of EQs (recent) - link

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 08:44 AM
link   

They have downgraded the Tsunami warnings.

So hopefully that's at least good news and bodes well.

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Stay safe to all our members in Japan and keep us updated

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Watch the cars in this video, 40 seconds of terror: Twitter video

Look at this river sloshing back and forth: Twitter video

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 09:58 AM
link   

David? Anyone heard from MIM over there? He's there...

"Calling MusicisMagic (MIM) Please report! Sound off!

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: xWorldxGonexMadx

"Wouldn't surprise me if some of these quakes are being triggered by Underwater Subs with missiles or underwater UFO's with missles"

Would surprise any sane person?

Must be rubbish UFOs.

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

It canny just be merely tectonic activity.

And the natural geological cycles of the planet.

It's always got to be some conspiracy angle behind it all.

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Not saying it's Aliens, but........

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 10:40 AM
link   
All the crazy waves in CA the other day.....

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Looking at some video of the resulting tsunami waves...it could have been worse. Glad they didn't get a big double whammy! Anyway...here is some footage of the waves.

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 11:42 AM
link   
It’s times like this I feel we could use some insight from MIM.

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

He was on Discord at 8 AM but I don't think he's in the effected area. Haven't heard from him since then.

Just checked. He was on again around 10 and seems to be ok.

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: mysterioustranger

He was on Discord at 8 AM but I don't think he's in the effected area. Haven't heard from him since then.

Just checked. He was on again around 10 and seems to be ok.

What’s his handle?

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2
a reply to: xWorldxGonexMadx

"Wouldn't surprise me if some of these quakes are being triggered by Underwater Subs with missiles or underwater UFO's with missles"

Would surprise any sane person?

Must be rubbish UFOs.

The aliens want to meet us and talk to us, but they are super bashful, so they are just trying to get our attention. You know, they are like third grade boys at a sock hop, all over sitting in the corner cause they are too shy. The quakes are just to produce a tsunami. Thats them waving at us.

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ManSizedSquirrel

He goes by Pete [ camper ]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join