It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News Article on Spotting AI Images

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2023 @ 11:15 AM
link   
interestingengineering.com...

While this can be amusing, AI images are increasingly being used to trick people into believing advertising claims or hoaxes. Some of the most notable examples include the Pope's apparent penchant for puffer jackets or, more worryingly, images of the Pentagon under attack earlier this year.

For this reason, it is becoming increasingly important for people to develop strategies for identifying which images, if any, are potential fakes. But given the incredible fidelity of some AI images, how can you do that? Let's find out.

hands are hard to fake, among other things.

getting harder to differentiate.

remember kids, use your powers for good, not evil.

I wonder if we'll ever see AI pix presented as evidence? will be hard to disprove.
we might see AI pic experts in the legal system.

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First.

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Tue Dec 26 2023 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)
sorry for minimal content
edit on 10.20.23 by Coelacanth55 because: add content

posted on Dec, 26 2023 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Coelacanth55

The way I can usually tell if it's AI generated is the lighting. I wouldn't know how to explain it, but it's something in the way the lighting is generated that just looks wrong. Light reflections in the eyes and on other semi reflective surfaces always gives it away. Curvatures are telling too, especially curvatures on natural features. Like cheekbones or the abdomen. AI hasn't quite figured out these finer details yet, thank god.

Also, just wanted to mention that I get a kick out of it every time I see your username. Had an experience in high school with a classmate who had a really hard time pronouncing that word and I've always remembered how to pronounce it because of that.

posted on Dec, 26 2023 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I think the uncanny valley is on purpose. I believe people are more comfortable seeing these supposed mistakes A.I. makes, rather than seeing how real it could create things. If the pictures were good enough that people couldn’t discern them from real life, we would see more push back on these A.I. projects.
A.I. cannot draw hands? I don’t believe that for a second. I believe the creators want you to think it can’t and that A.I. is fallible when it’s not.

posted on Dec, 26 2023 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Don't forget the fake raid on Area 51.

posted on Dec, 26 2023 @ 05:45 PM
link   
And I see the AI Trump and AI Biden debate is still happening.

Twitch

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Hands and exposed teeth or open mouths are a give away usually as the AI tends to render double rows of teeth and hands that are wonky and melted together. Also, I've found that there are very small blemishes that show up indiscriminately within the work and if you look closely in some areas, there's what I like to call, "Rendering Corrosion" in certain areas. It looks like a small scab or glob, almost like digital mold, if you will. I wish it were easier to upload pics on here. I just have never had any luck doing it, especially in mobile. I would show examples but I can't deal with however it works on this site.

I think that's the reason you rarely see photos in posts on here.🤷🏻
edit on 27-12-2023 by VariedcodeSole because: eta

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive
A.I. cannot draw hands? I don’t believe that for a second. I believe the creators want you to think it can’t and that A.I. is fallible when it’s not.
What some other version of AI that we never see can do is anybody's guess. Maybe it can and maybe it can't draw hands flawlessly, I don't make any assumptions either way on something I know nothing about. It's just an observation that it's an issue for the AI version we do know about. My guess was, give it a few years, and it will improve and maybe then even the versions in public will be able to draw hands. Open mouths may be more challenging.

originally posted by: VariedcodeSole

Hands and exposed teeth or open mouths are a give away usually as the AI tends to render double rows of teeth and hands that are wonky and melted together. Also, I've found that there are very small blemishes that show up indiscriminately within the work and if you look closely in some areas, there's what I like to call, "Rendering Corrosion" in certain areas. It looks like a small scab or glob, almost like digital mold, if you will. I wish it were easier to upload pics on here. I just have never had any luck doing it, especially in mobile. I would show examples but I can't deal with however it works on this site.

I think that's the reason you rarely see photos in posts on here.🤷🏻
I've seen AI hands with 6 fingers, and while humans can have those too, it's far more rare than with AI rendering. I agree teeth and open mouths are often giveaways.

I noticed my mobile phone takes images in a format not accepted by this site, which I think must be either jpg, png or gif, and even though jpeg is just another name for jpg I think this site rejects jpegs, and any file larger than 2 mb. As long as you upload a jpg, png or gif less than 2MB, uploading images from a desktop works fine. I suspect most problems are likely a result of things like trying to upload files named jpeg instead of jpg or files larger than 2 MB, though I haven't really tried to upload from my mobile phone since I know the images are incompatible with ATS. However if I really wanted to upload from mobile, I think I could download an app to convert my phone images from the strange format they have to an ATS friendly format like jpg, then I think I could upload the jpg from my phone, but haven't tried that.

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Anyone who thinks A.I. cannot do hands may have not seen those fake crypto giveaways on Youtube. They have been able to take a Ripple CEO Brad Garlinghouse, and make it appear as though he is promoting an XRP crypto giveaway.

Youtube will not remove this scam because they say it doesn't disobey their terms of service. What a crock....

This is scam! Do not believe what it says!

At anytime do those hands look fake?

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLieWeLive

I think we were discussing images, but the videos are getting really good too. I've personally noticed the images are noticably better since the release. That's expected, it's just kinda unnerving. The AI art is so good and complex in practically every genre, that it's just overwhelming to a human artist. How can you compete? Perhaps we need to create a new category, like "humages", lol. You can have that one.. hahaha
edit on 27-12-2023 by VariedcodeSole because: eta

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Should I believe the message from youtube that an error occurred, and I should try again later?

Exactly what AI software does it use, do you know?
If it's deepfake type software, that doesn't have the hands problem. With that, you can put anybody's face on someone else's body, and the hands of the original person will always be fine, because those are real hands, only the face is AI generated in that case.

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

It's working on my end.

If it's deepfake type software, that doesn't have the hands problem. With that, you can put anybody's face on someone else's body, and the hands of the original person will always be fine, because those are real hands, only the face is AI generated in that case.

Sure, but if a human can do deepfake videos what makes us think A.I. cannot? Where is the A.I. getting it's image to begin with? If it doesn't know what the person looks like it couldn't emulate them. Does the source picture not have hands? It can emulate a face to where it is recognizable to others, but just enough out of whack to give us a calmer feeling about it. When you absolutely cannot tell the difference is when people raise hell, and I believe they look clown like on purpose so people don't get up in arms.

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive
Sure, but if a human can do deepfake videos what makes us think A.I. cannot?
Deepfake is a form of AI, but the reason the hands are perfect in is the AI is typically just replacing the face. You take a source video of some human, and the AI puts a different face on it, it won't mess up the hands.

The messed up hands people are talking about are when the AI draws the creates the hands.

The point being there's more than one kind of AI manipulation of imagery.

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Coelacanth55
I wonder if we'll ever see AI pix presented as evidence? will be hard to disprove.
we might see AI pic experts in the legal system.

That got me to thinking, what if all the evidence of a case is given to an AI to evaluate and make a judgement? As time passes and human tasks continue to be handed over to AI, it will be more trusted.

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

I get it, I’m just not buying that A.I. has the same problem humans do when drawing. It is easier to accept that it is like us when it has the same stumbling blocks.
It can draw hair and eyes, but it cannot do fingers? It is intelligent, but it cannot trace something and animate it like it does everything else? I’m not buying it.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Again I'm not sure what "private" software can do.
But the publicly available software is fledgeling tech that was only released last year, it's not even 2 years old.
Eventually it probably will be able to do all that better, but there are numerous articles explaining why the early releases we have now have issues with hands, teeth and ears:

Why does AI art screw up hands and fingers?

when users input prompts that included people into any of these generators, they started to notice a recurring bug. Like many beginning artists, the AI tools couldn’t draw hands.

An AI-generated hand might have nine fingers or fingers sticking out of its palm. In some images hands appear as if floating, unattached to a human body. Elsewhere, two or more hands are fused at the wrists.

Why?

There are a few reasons that AI struggles with hands and fingers. One is, simply, that hands are a small part of the human body. In real photographs of people, hands aren’t generally the focus. Notably, AI programs tend to have the same issues with human teeth and ears that they do with hands. AI-generated teeth are often small, overcrowded, and even pointed, while ears are frequently depicted without lobes. Hands, teeth, and ears are all facets of a human body that are both small and highly variable: when scanning a photograph of a person with a missing tooth, for instance, an AI may conclude that all smiles have that same gap. In a January 2023 interview with BuzzFeed News, a spokesperson from Stability AI explained that “within AI datasets, human images display hands less visibly than they do faces.” To successfully depict hands and fingers, AI would need more reference photos with hands as the main focus.

So it will get there eventually as the technology matures. Just don't be impatient and expect a human baby to run a marathon, eventually it will be able to and eventually the publicly available AI will get better at drawing hands, teeth and ears.

AI Kryptonite: Why Artificial Intelligence Can't Handle Hands

The Uncanny Failures of A.I.-Generated Hands

Why AI Image Generators Can’t Get Hands Right

edit on 20231229 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

top topics

join