It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Gov. Abbott Signs Bill Which Allows Arrest Of Border Crossers

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2023 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Today, Monday, December 18th, 2023, Texas Governor Greg Abbott signed three new laws into effect to help curb illegal immigration at their border. They were:

Senate Bill 3: Which earmarks $1.54 billion in state money to continue construction of barriers along the 1,200-mile border and allows the state to spend up to $40 million for state troopers.

Senate Bill 4: Which makes it a state crime for illegally crossing the border from Mexico into Texas.

Another Senate Bill 4: (Passed earlier this year) increases the minimum sentence from two years to 10 years for smuggling immigrants or operating a stash house.

These are all good laws and if President Biden won't do his job to protect American citizens, it's up to the states to step up and impliment these measures. More states need to do this as well - and not just the states along the border.

Link to an article about this:
Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Bill Making Illegal Immigration A State Crime

Link to a video of the actual signing ceremony:

posted on Dec, 19 2023 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Station27

I give it a week tops before Biden and/or his administration file against it. They can't have their never ending stream of voters interrupted or messed with.

posted on Dec, 19 2023 @ 10:15 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 19 2023 @ 10:24 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 19 2023 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrGashler
I give it a week tops before Biden and/or his administration file against it. They can't have their never ending stream of voters interrupted or messed with.

That's what I was thinking as well.

posted on Dec, 19 2023 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Federal courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court, have ruled that immigration laws can only be enforced by the federal government. But some Texas Republicans have said they hope the new law will push the issue back before a U.S. Supreme Court that is more conservative since three appointees of former President Donald Trump joined it.

Texas lawmakers know this is law illegal, and completely ignores asylum laws. But it's Greg Abbot's Texas, so defying the federal law and the constitution is just another example of right wing BAMB, with a goal to get justices to legislate from the bench.

edit on 2920232023k33America/Chicago2023-12-19T10:33:29-06:0010am2023-12-19T10:33:29-06:00 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2023 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
....and completely ignores asylum laws.

Asylum laws don't seem to be working all that great.

"Alia tentanda via est."

posted on Dec, 19 2023 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Station27
a reply to: LeXoXeL

Short Story Fiction is on another forum. I think you're confused a little bit.

Ok, sure! You must be a Texan! I am curious though, how do YOU think these new laws will be enforced? Just how exactly is a state trooper going to determine whether someone is an "illegal" or not? Can you describe what an "illegal" looks like? What specific behaviors do "illegals" exhibit that would make them easy to target? Is there a field "legality" test they can administer?

posted on Dec, 19 2023 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

someone needs to fix it, and if the Biden admin is inept, Abbot will step in.

I wonder how much $ is flowing from the cartels to the lawmakers who are against closing the border?
Are you against securing the border, and for unfettered access for illegals and terrorists?

posted on Dec, 19 2023 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: LeXoXeL

Ok, sure! You must be a Texan! I am curious though, how do YOU think these new laws will be enforced? Just how exactly is a state trooper going to determine whether someone is an "illegal" or not? Can you describe what an "illegal" looks like? What specific behaviors do "illegals" exhibit that would make them easy to target? Is there a field "legality" test they can administer?

I can take this one. When a person walks up the bank from the Rio Grande, it's a really good chance then are illegal. If you ask them for ID, and they can't produce proof they are Americans, they need to be arrested. Are you aware that crossing the border without going to a legal point of entry is against the law?

posted on Dec, 19 2023 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

"Alia tentanda via est."

"Alia tentanda via est."

Right. BAMN: By any means possible

This really isn't Biden's problem, though. This is Congress' responsibility. Congress needs to change the laws, if need be. President Trump was lucky, in that he had a global health emergency that he could use to close the borders, but the pandemic is behind us now. Time for Congress to do their job, and not depend on Presidential Executive Orders to do it for them.

edit on 1820232023k44America/Chicago2023-12-19T10:44:18-06:0010am2023-12-19T10:44:18-06:00 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2023 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
I can take this one. When a person walks up the bank from the Rio Grande, it's a really good chance then are illegal. If you ask them for ID, and they can't produce proof they are Americans, they need to be arrested. Are you aware that crossing the border without going to a legal point of entry is against the law?

That's similar to what I was going to respond with. Thank you.

posted on Dec, 19 2023 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Racism shouldn't hide in the shadows! What better way to make Texas white again than to make it illegal to be anything else.

That's absurd. This law helps protect Americans of all races. Illegals bring drugs and crime that harm Americans of all races. They flood hospitals and schools overwhelming them, burdening Americans of all races. And they are a drain upon the US taxpayers ... taxpayers of all races.
edit on 12/19/2023 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2023 @ 10:48 AM
link   

a reply to: network dude

"Alia tentanda via est."

"Alia tentanda via est."

This really isn't Biden's problem, though. This is Congress' responsibility. Congress needs to change the laws, if need be. President Trump was lucky, in that he had a global health emergency that he could use to close the borders, but the pandemic is behind us now. Time for Congress to do their job, and not depend on Presidential Executive Orders to do it for them.

are you aware of the FACT that Biden reversed many of the working Trump policies as soon as he took over? Remain in Mexico sound like something you have heard before?

posted on Dec, 19 2023 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

when all you got is a hammer.....

posted on Dec, 19 2023 @ 10:50 AM
link   

This really isn't Biden's problem, though. This is Congress' responsibility.

Congress can make law after law .. it won't matter without something to back it up because the illegals will come anyways. Troops need to be on the border. That's the responsibility of the POTUS ... be it Republican, Democrat, Libertarian or other.

posted on Dec, 19 2023 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I believe you're wrong on every count! That takes skill. I would say that the scenario you're proposing would be the least effective way of enforcing these new laws. It's my guess that with $40 million dollars to hire new state troopers, they'll probably more than likely be deployed right along the border - where the problem exists. Why put them anywhere else? Anywhere else would just allow some, (many, probably), to avoid being captured. If they stop them at the border, it will be quite easy to tell if they're legal citizens or not. Because I'm pretty sure that honest-to-goodness American citizens don't go wading across the Rio Grande all that often.

posted on Dec, 19 2023 @ 10:57 AM
link   

"Alia tentanda via est."

Wrong. "Alia tentanda via est" does not mean "By any means possible." It's Latin and it stands for "Another way must be tried." Biden's way is certainly not working, is it?

And it is Biden's problem. It was his fault to begin with, so he's responsible for fixing the problem. It wasn't Congress that undid all of Trump's laws, was it? So, he can just as easily fix it in the same manner he broke it. But, will he? He's had three years to do it and he's done nothing, so apparently he isn't going to fix his mess.

And congress doesn't need to "change" the laws. They just need to enforce them. Remember the law that says illegal immigration is, well.... illegal? Tell me you remember that one.

posted on Dec, 19 2023 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

So because there's a "good chance" that a Mexican near the border is illegal, all Mexicans near the border are going to be asked for ID? What happens if they aren't near the border? If the assumption is illegals all hang out near the border after crossing it, then why does the whole state need new laws? Sounds like it's going to turn into a guilty until proven innocent, kinda a "driving while Mexican" as a reason to pull someone over thing.

Yes, I am well aware that not only crossing the border anywhere but approved and regulated security checkpoints, and crossing without documentation is illegal. Why pass more laws? To pander to your base, that's why.

posted on Dec, 19 2023 @ 11:02 AM
link   

It was his fault to begin with, so he's responsible for fixing the problem.

Please explain.

It wasn't Congress that undid all of Trump's laws, was it?

What laws? President don't make laws. They write executive orders.

And congress doesn't need to "change" the laws.

Congress writes laws. If you're unhappy with the law, that's on Congress.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join