It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's got a $2.5 billion wild hog problem. These states see the worst of it.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Coelacanth55
... any local impact anyone can share?

I can share local impact from two distinct geographical regions: South Louisiana and NW Mexico.

In South Louisiana, they are a plague. They destroy crops, tear up stuff. We used traps and sometime hunt with dogs.

in NW Mexico, they abound in the mountains here. We hunt them. I'm looking into having a trap made.

I was on bicycle in back country once, left my group due to a malfunction and was taking a shortcut to the highway. I saw a herd from a distance in the bottom of a trail. Made a lot of noise and they all ran off, but that was scary!

Not me, but this is scary as hell!

I have a friend who's lost two or three god dogs to them over the last few years.

But I must say, it's some of the best damn meat you'll ever stick between your lips!

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I'm surprised they've gotten so far north.
most of us aren't affected, but for some farmers these things are a big problem.

any local impact anyone can share?

Looking at this in the past you can kill 1/2 the population and still see population growth every year.

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: crowf00t

Reincarnation .,..

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: MoreCoyoteAngels

The Indian Cow is sacred only because it doesn't practice all those weird things humans do in trying to be sacred instead of just being humans...

It's is a direct pointing that all of that ritual etc doesn't lead to anything better than what they already are: Human... That while human living as a human is the correct path.

Master asked Joshu: "What is the meaning of this?" Holding up a dog collar and leash.

Joshu yelled: *"My Lords son!" Then ran out.

*Gautama Buddha born in the Chinese year of Dog named his son: Rahula(fetter).

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: AwakeNotWoke

Oatmeal

It's oats and a meal...
Not just for me or you;
Not even horses for that matter...
Cows like it too.

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: CosmicFocus

So you dont like ribs? These pigs carry alot of disease so have the meat professionally butchered and cooked so you dont get sick and die.

Shes into Rambo stuff.

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Coelacanth55

So wheres Greta, AOC? The Muslims wont touch pork nor will others. Its left to the good ole boys to shootz dem but Hillary is chasing them off their front porch.

She baited them undesirables with transgenders in heels aka Bud Light Bathtub Babe.

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 04:37 PM
link   
They're moving in from the north as well:

Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana prep for wild pig invasion

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - An exploding population of hard-to-eradicate "super pigs" in Canada is threatening to spill south of the border, and northern states like Minnesota, North Dakota and Montana are taking steps to stop the invasion.

In Canada, the wild pigs roaming Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba pose a new threat. They are often crossbreeds that combine the survival skills of wild Eurasian boar with the size and high fertility of domestic swine to create a "super pig" that’s spreading out of control.

Ryan Brook, a professor at the University of Saskatchewan and one of Canada’s leading authorities on the problem, calls feral swine, "the most invasive animal on the planet" and "an ecological train wreck."

It turned out that the pigs were very good at surviving Canadian winters. Smart, adaptable and furry, they eat anything, including crops and wildlife. They tear up land when they root for bugs and crops. They can spread devastating diseases to hog farms like African swine fever. And they reproduce quickly. A sow can have six piglets in a litter and raise two litters in a year.

That means 65% or more of a wild pig population could be killed every year and it will still increase, Brook said.

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: crowf00t
Oh we're just as tasty to them as they are to us.. Might have a human digesting in it is why they were once declared unclean to eat.

Where did you get that information from.
Don’t eat pigs because they eat people, turtles, rabbits and horses don’t eat people but they are unclean
Surprised thy don’t find a hog virus and release it to reduce the pig population
Free bullets to hunt pigs
Seen a few interesting YouTube videos

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 05:00 PM
link   
We used to hunt them with bay dog's and trained Pit's , Would wear them down until we could tie them up and load them in the truck , Take them back and deworm them then have some good old smoked pig .

Started to get a lot of flack from "Karen's" so stopped hunting them with dogs not to mention those thing are mean and I'm getting old .
edit on 22-11-2023 by Ravenwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I have not heard of any wild hogs in the UP. I kind of think if they did come up here, pig roast parties would happen a lot since there are so many people who would shoot them to eat.

If one came into my yard, I would need to find a butcher to cut it up and package it and smoke the hams and bacon.

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 03:51 AM
link   

www.usatoday.com...

Since their introduction to the U.S. in the 1500's, the feral swine population have expanded across more than three quarters of the country. According to the Department of Agriculture, their population has grown to more than 9 million.

The wild animal has expanded westward and northward, with states like California, Hawaii, and Michigan reporting a fairly large feral hog populations.

I'm surprised they've gotten so far north.
most of us aren't affected, but for some farmers these things are a big problem.

any local impact anyone can share?

Absolutely. I’m in St. Augustine, Florida - the Nation’s oldest city. Pedro Menendez de Aviles landed here September 8th, 1565 and held, coincidentally as today is Thanksgiving, the very first Catholic Mass and Thanksgiving in what is now the United States.

When Menendez landed he had pigs, and the descendants of those and others that were brought over by the Spanish and later European settlers have multiplied and caused unbelievable amounts of damage to crops and homesteads ever since.

I’ve lived in Florida my entire life. Everyone knows we have alligators and crocodiles, bears, panthers, coyotes, sharks, Portuguese Man o War, six species of venomous snake and now we are dealing with a HUGE surge in Burmese Pythons. Hell, we even have wild pockets of monkeys that can pee on you and transmit a deadly form of Herpes. We are basically America’s Australia.

That said, the ONLY animal here that I’m actually afraid of are the wild hogs. They are NASTY mean, fast, and the boars have legit tusks that can shred a person to pieces. I’ve seen several wild hog attacks working as a paramedic here and they’re never not horrible.

Other than for protection form other humans and just exercising our God-given rights, wild hogs are the single greatest argument for why anyone would need a high capacity semi-automatic rifle. I’ve seen a few hogs that took multiple .308 rounds to finally subdue. Part of the problem is that they’ve interbred with domestic breeds and there are now MASSIVE hybrids roaming the rural environs of the entire state.

I never enter the woods without at least a handgun because those ill-tempered sumbitches will charge you en-mass with zero warning.

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 04:36 AM
link   

edit on 11/23/2023 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Shooting feral pigs is good for the environment.
Eating said pigs is good for the environment.
Selling the pigs heads to asian resturants is good for the environment.

Environmentalism can be fun and tasty.

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: AwakeNotWoke

Gross! I was coming up with a plan to utilize the meat from the killing of wild swine into dog food but dogs don’t even touch it!

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Yep. Michigan here...cabin up in National Forest in Mio...hog issues abound from Northern Ohio, up Central Michigan all the way into the Thumb mid-state.

Impossible to control. Killing and try to cull them damn impossible. Wayyyyy too many feral hogs. Michigan is also asking hunters to take more does to cull the deer population.

But the hogs? Holy crap...they are everywhere..

Happy Thanksgiving.

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 08:33 AM
link   

where are asterix and obelix when you need them!

Thats a lot of hogs

better get them all and eat them before alpha-gal syndrome gets you.

humans are pretty dumb , we totally #ed the food chain by killing wolves and other natural predators
and brought species that are now invasive when we migrated.
Here in scotland we #ed it by killing all wolves to protect sheep and the dear population exploded
i think the last wolf was killed in 1680
300 years of deer explosion and its still a problem, but I think they reintroduced wolves in the highlands
but no one knows exactly where the pack is for fear of hunters or negative public backlash

My cousin lives in Wales and they had a boar in their garden in summer a big #er with huge tusks , the beast was some boy

edit on 23-11-2023 by sapien1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: 38181

I think cooked pork is actually bad for a dog

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Impossible to control. Killing and try to cull them damn impossible. Wayyyyy too many feral hogs. Michigan is also asking hunters to take more does to cull the deer populatio

yep spitting out pigglets about twice a year, with anywhere from 1 to 12 per litter, is as bad as cats and rats.

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 08:40 AM
link   

I live in Cali. Close but not close to Bakersfield. Never seen a wild hog. Would probably be in shock if I saw a wild hog. And its kind of a far out area where I live. Not much around here. Work in a moderately big city never seen a hog there either. Well except large Marge whose our janitor at work hehe.
edit on 23-11-2023 by Shoshanna because: can't spell

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join