It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something to consider when you are in a battery powered bus or car or on an E-bike

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2023 @ 03:18 AM
link   
There are many news reports of battery powered buses and cars going up in flames.. Water will not put the fire out so your best option is "Run Away!"
Never ever saw a diesel bus do this youtu.be...

There are several videos of E-Bikes, cars and busses doing the meltdown.. something to think about IMO.

posted on Oct, 11 2023 @ 03:22 AM
link   
ebikes and escooters are banned from railways here because of the risks they pose.. cars are just bigger risks

posted on Oct, 11 2023 @ 03:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: nickyw
ebikes and escooters are banned from railways here because of the risks they pose.. cars are just bigger risks

I did not know that thanks.. I hope others realize just how dangerous this technology can be.

posted on Oct, 11 2023 @ 04:43 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Not long ago it was e cigarettes exploding in people's pockets because of the batteries, so what do they do ? Make them bigger and put them in cars !

What could go wrong

posted on Oct, 11 2023 @ 04:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

originally posted by: nickyw

I did not know that thanks.. I hope others realize just how dangerous this technology can be.

the ban is quite extensive

Which train firms have banned e-scooters from their services?

extract

Avanti West Coast, TransPennine Express and East Midlands Railway have all banned passengers from carrying electric scooters and similar vehicles on their services due to safety concerns.

They are the latest train operators or transport authorities to clamp down on people carrying the machines onboard trains or at stations they operate, citing the fire risk posed by their lithium-ion batteries.

The decisions mean that ten major UK transport operators, including Transport for London and rail firm Northern, have now banned e-scooters. In many cases, the bans also extend to similar machines including e-hoverboards, e-unicycles and e-skateboards.

not sure I'd want to be in a crowded commuter carriage if one went off like a bomb..

posted on Oct, 11 2023 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

now think of being in a commuter carriage, I gave up smoking with ecigs and I put an 80mah battery in my jacket pocket with my keys (dumb) it got and i just go outside in time to throw it in front of a parked bus where it exploded like a small firework, if that is what 80mah does I have no idea what a 400w battery is capable of but it must be quite significant.

posted on Oct, 11 2023 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Remember-EV fires often give you a clue just before the flames start.

Listen out for a fizzing/hissing noise!
Lithium Batteries very often do that when they are just about to go on fire as the gas builds up and escapes.

Its good to teach kids about that as if something starts making a funny noise,kds may wish to get closer to investigate.
Bad Idea!

posted on Oct, 11 2023 @ 06:26 AM
link   

In order to save the planet (because we have the power of gods), there wiĺl be sacrifices that have to be made. In the next generation vehicles, the seatbelts will lock in the event of a fire. This will accomplish population reduction, give slave children something to do in the lithium mines and will (most important part) create YouTube content.
edit on 11-10-2023 by billxam because: spilling corruption

posted on Oct, 11 2023 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Did you see the big fire in the multi storey carpark at Luton airport?

posted on Oct, 11 2023 @ 06:52 AM
link   

I recently read that Toyota Ammonium engines will shake the world of electric vehicles and could be their end ?
seems pretty interesting

Toyota Ammonium Engine

edit on 11-10-2023 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2023 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
Listen out for a fizzing/hissing noise!
Its good to teach kids about that as if something starts making a funny noise,kds may wish to get closer to investigate.

I can see it now - grandpa is asleep in his recliner and his stomach starts making noises and he passes gas. The kids will drag him out of the house and douse him with some chemical 🤣

posted on Oct, 11 2023 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

Did you see the big fire in the multi storey carpark at Luton airport?

www.bbc.co.uk...

All flights at Luton Airport have been suspended until the afternoon after a huge fire ripped through a terminal car park on Tuesday evening.

Flights have been halted until 15:00 BST after the fire at the multi-storey caused the building to suffer a "significant structural collapse".

Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service believes the blaze was accidental and started in a vehicle at about 20:45 BST.

No serious injuries have been reported.

Four firefighters and a member of airport staff were treated for the effects of breathing in smoke.

One witness said he saw an explosion on the roof of the car park followed by a "flame that shot across the car park like a flame thrower".

After that, he saw cars exploding "every few minutes".

posted on Oct, 11 2023 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I don't believe they got that technology perfected yet. It is not just the car or bike burning, if they are in a garage or close to the house, they can start them on fire too. Even those little scooter batteries blow up in flames.

posted on Oct, 11 2023 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

thats certainly backed up by this, insurance companies are refusing to insure EVs..

head

Earlier this year, major insurer Aviva rowed back on insuring the Tesla Y Model. A spokesperson told City A.M. the group was “no longer able to offer a policy at renewal” after reviewing its underwriting criteria.

Mark Andrews, insurance director at Altus Consulting, told City A.M. on Monday that John Lewis’s move was “worrying” and shows that “car insurance and particularly EV insurance repairs are becoming so costly that insurers are looking to focus on other markets”.

He argued that EV insurance costs and premiums potentially rising higher than fossil-fuel based cars would create a “barrier” to consumers seeking to move towards cleaner, greener options.

posted on Oct, 11 2023 @ 10:30 AM
link   
They can be a fire hazard but I think it is over blown. I raced electric RC cars competitively. They've been using the same Lithium based cells found in full sized applications for about 20 years.

The tracks require them to be charged in fireproof containers - ammo boxes and fire proof pouches. They also keep sand on hand in pit areas in case of a fire.

When we first started using them in 1/8th scale off road (considered "large scale") the batteries would often "puff" from the high draw. Also, because we were jumping the cars in offroad, the cells could get damaged. Occasionally, a car would "go nuclear" from damage and melt down the entire car. The industry and racing Assocation developed hardcase packs. Fires don't seem to be as common nowadays although I recall back in the day quite a few garages being burnt down.

Gas cars go up in flames quite often. Statistics say almost 225,000 gas car fires per year. However, when electric cars go up it is sensational.

posted on Oct, 11 2023 @ 10:55 AM
link   
All these instances/posts of battery vehicles burning furiously and how unsafe they are. Why, oh why is not everybody shouting from the rooftops "ban all electric vehicles". And don't come with the very deep BS "oh but it's only in it's infancy" or "these are snags that have got to be worked out". They are dangerous and should be banned.

posted on Oct, 11 2023 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

225,000 gas cars catch on fire every year versus about 5,000 electric car fires....

With that said, electric car fires can be more intense and spontaneous than a gas fire so that is a legitimate concern. You also can't use water to extinguish. However, perspective is needed.

posted on Oct, 11 2023 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated
Ah but. there is approx 10.5 million electric cars on the roads so 5000 cars burning up is .0021 of that number. Whereas there is approx 1.474 billions gas cars so 225,000 works out to .00000655111111111 of that number. That works out that electric cars are vastly more likely to set afire.

posted on Oct, 11 2023 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
a reply to: Edumakated
Ah but. there is approx 10.5 million electric cars on the roads so 5000 cars burning up is .0021 of that number. Whereas there is approx 1.474 billions gas cars so 225,000 works out to .00000655111111111 of that number. That works out that electric cars are vastly more likely to set afire.

Yes, but both are highly unlikely... neither is a statistically significant occurrence.

posted on Oct, 11 2023 @ 04:11 PM
link   
No public drones are allowed in federal parks because of the lithium batteries. They can go unstable in an accident, especially near moisture, and cause fires. Who knows how many were started by them in the forest fires of the West coast.

Back when the hover boards came out, there were some batteries made by Samsung that were defective and caused fires when just sitting around or when recharging. This has been effectively solved, but can still happen to older boards. They should never be charged in the house, rather the concrete floor of a garage, in the open or outside as long as the weather is good.

Lithium Ion battery problems are in so many games and tools, but you do not hear too much about them until they cause news.

The lost aircraft MH380 had a pallet of Lithium Ion batteries aboard, and has always been suspected as a possible cause of the loss of the aircraft by the pallet erupting in flames and causing poisonous gasses to get into the airframe air ducts.

As of yet, we have no idea.
edit on 11-10-2023 by charlyv because: sp

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join