It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lithium-ion batteries of e-bikes and e-scooters are causing hundreds of fires

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Cut the power, ventilate the building, and use an appropriate extinguisher on the fire would be your best bet i suppose.

Also then calling the emergency services if they are required might be the best idea.

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 07:37 AM
link   
As others are pointing out in this thread it is not just lithium batteries that are dangerous it is cheap electronic devices that are on the market with no quality control.

A friend of mine built a beautiful new very expensive house years ago and 2 days before he was due to move in the phone charger he was using burst into flames destroying the house and the insurance would not cover him it ruined him financially.

Of the 10 18650 lithium batteries I bought for flashlights and are used very rarely 3 have so far failed , the same type that are used in EV batteries .

Leave a lithium battery and a NICd battery in a shed for 3 months at minus 30 C and see which one still has power and will charge like normal .

Plus with the amount of fake products on the market do not believe what says Makita is really a Makita

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Do you have a fire extinguisher in your home?

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 07:38 AM
link   

I don't disagree as the video i posted clearly illustrates.

Lithium particles/powder/dust ignite spontaneously when they come into contact with air or water moisture.

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Yes, dont you?

I have a fire blanket also.

Tell me you at least have a fire extinguisher in your car?

If not its a good idea to get one.

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 07:43 AM
link   

So what type of fire extinguisher do you have in your house?

edit on 7-8-2023 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

So what type of fire extinguisher do you have in your house?

Are you looking for some kind of "gotcha" moment? Sounds like he has the appropriate fire protection equipment in place.

Are you going to get to a point where you say no common household fire protection equipment can handle a lithium battery produced fire?

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 07:49 AM
link   

A blue one with dry powder, that came with the house, the same as the fire blanket which is red.

Landlord even comes out and tests them every year.

They can be used with all sorts of different fires but it's pretty much for the kitchen.

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itherael

Are you going to get to a point where you say no common household fire protection equipment can handle a lithium battery produced fire?

I didn't know that.

It just occurred to me that I don't know what I would do if it happened right in front of me....so was inquiring.

Maybe you could tell me a plan of action; should it ever occur?

Do the plugin phone chargers have lithium batteries in them as well as the phones?

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 08:04 AM
link   

I am not an expert by any means.

I think with common household items, a lithium battery induced fire/explosion will be relatively small. It will be about managing managing and controlling the fire created by the device, not actually trying to stop/put out the fire on the device itself.

The chargers themselves do not have a lithium ion battery itself, unless it is one of those portable ones with built in capacity.
edit on 7-8-2023 by Itherael because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Well using water on an electrical fire of any sort can be a really bad idea, if the power is still live, same with lithium-ion batteries, down to the chemical/thermal reaction that will occur.

Any plan of action should involve phoning the appropriate authorities and retreating to a safe distance, especially so if you do not have the sort of equipment at hand required to contain the fire.
edit on 7-8-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 08:07 AM
link   

You might have trouble phoning someone.... if your phone is on fire lol.

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 08:09 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 08:11 AM
link   

LoL

Suppose that's a hot topic.

Do people still have landlines with phones even plugged in?

Suppose a load of older people still might.

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Double my bad.
edit on 7-8-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
a reply to: XL5

If there was a better option it would be on the market- guys who use these tools every day would play twice as much for a battery that had twice the run time at the same weight, which is saying something when the current 9ah batteries are $200 or more!
I left one of my 9ah outside for a week (oops) and now the computer board is junk.

I'm waiting for the EV fad to pass, but there's so much push for it that I don't think it will pass until the market is saturated. I just want a gas scooter!

That's one of my biggest concerns. All the push, all the destruction and changes of our environment along with all the psychological bs and the wasted money for a 'fad'. And 'fad' is exactly what it is. It's so illogical to have the extreme push for these vehicles, their goal numbers are ridiculously off the charts.

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 08:24 AM
link   

I can't find anything online when I ask the question:

'what to do if phone explode while charging?'

And this is a big issue.

No answers for this either:

'how to put out a phone charger on fire while charging'

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

originally posted by: lordcomac
a reply to: XL5

If there was a better option it would be on the market- guys who use these tools every day would play twice as much for a battery that had twice the run time at the same weight, which is saying something when the current 9ah batteries are $200 or more!
I left one of my 9ah outside for a week (oops) and now the computer board is junk.

I'm waiting for the EV fad to pass, but there's so much push for it that I don't think it will pass until the market is saturated. I just want a gas scooter!

That's one of my biggest concerns. All the push, all the destruction and changes of our environment along with all the psychological bs and the wasted money for a 'fad'. And 'fad' is exactly what it is. It's so illogical to have the extreme push for these vehicles, their goal numbers are ridiculously off the charts.

Why is it illogical exactly?

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I used to work in the E-cig industry, post 2010 the majority of available "vapes" were small scale stick type batteries. low voltage and short on Mah. As people wanted more power there grew a large crowd of "modders" who were turning to L-Ion's for there needs.
Creating box mods and machining metal tubes regulated only by the type and amount of wire you used to build your coil.

I've seen so many thermal runaways, in malls, cars and small shops.
One of my employees used to play with batteries by bringing them out into the back parking lot and taping low gauge kanthal wire to the - and +, watch and wait....

Around 2016ish the 18650 L-ions were in full demand for almost any Vapor device, our issue was mostly with mis labeled
cheap knock offs. 40 amp 5000Mah 18650 is not a viable rating.
Around the same time, one of the most trusted and high demand Sony VTC battery types started to become short in supply.
Tesla was buying them all before they even hit the market, this led a rush for other brand like Samsung and LG but there even more knock offs that were just dangerous. I am not sure what they use in the e-bikes and scooters these days but i would guess they are flat cell lithium polymer pack batteries which have a higher tendancy of overheating and thermal runaway

Edit to add : There is a great guy on facebook i used to watch his videos all the time called "Battery Mooch"
edit on 07am31800000023 by datguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2023 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Itherael

The extreme push for mass production and usage while we simply aren't ready for the immense increase of load on the electric grid, charging stations availability and safety protocols. It isn't even all about the numbers, it's also about the high speed and intensity to force EV's on everyone.

It's kind of like a major remodeling your house to accommodate a cute new AI robot and then you find out they all want to kill humans.

You went to all that trouble and expense while giving up a hot tub and a new pole barn so you could have 'Huxley' kill you in your sleep.

And people still don't seem to have issues with the ever increasing desecration of the planet in making millions of EV batteries.

*My apologies to anyone named Huxley.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join