It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am 50 and had my Aortic heart valve replaced -cow valve-

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: TheGreazel

Thank you for sharing this, so happy that you are ok now!

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Peloni

Wow,I hope your cow valve last over 30 years also! I still can’t sleep right and have pain like you. I wish you the best of luck in July, please update your heart valve condition in July!

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: JJproductions

Yes, over $400,000.00 cost for eight hours of surgery or a very nice house lol!

not to be nosy but i have to ask how much on your dime? i assume insurance didn't pick it all up, and the hospital and doctors added stuff they wouldn't cover.

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 06:54 AM
link   

My brother was born with his heart valves in the wrong place.

The ones that were pushing were supposed to be pulling and vice versa was how it was explained at the time.

Had an operation soon after birth at Yorkhill Hospital in Glasgow where the defect was corrected and they told my parents it would last about 17 years.

On Digoxin most of that time.

The poor fellow had a major stroke when he was 17.

Told us he would most lightly die, but he recovered, unfortunately with brain damage that affected his right side and speech.

His heart condition continued to deteriorate until at around the age of 29/30 when it began to fail big time there was no other option left but to transplant.

Luckily they found one before it was too late.

He's about 43 now and doing fine with two weans and a family.

Good to hear that you are on the mend and all the best in the future.
edit on 10-6-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 07:12 AM
link   

So sorry you had to go through with this. I feel a sense of kinship, since I have aortic in-sufficience and will eventually have to get heart surgery as well. Hope you will recover well and soon....

BUT... (oh hate that but
)

I also feel inclined to note the difference between our kinship.

You calculated around 400.000 dollars for that work. That's the cost in the US. Most likely more money than I will make the rest of my life.

So what will it cost me?

0 dollars.....

That's one of the percs of living in a welfare state. My tax payer money is working for me in the long run.

In fact I have NEVER paid a single dime for going to the doctor or the ear, nose, throat doc. My CPAP was also free of charge including service.

I don't want to shift the focus of your post, but since you were so open about cost, I feel like it invites the good old question... is the US doing it right?

Consider even... you might not have paid as much tax as me, but now you get a hefty price for getting treatment.
Also the US, has a debt of 30 trillion dollars... that's not a healthy economy no matter how you twist and turn it.

So I'd like to propose that the US economy and health care system is a very good example of how NOT to balance budgets or treat your citizens.

Imagine, you have worked hard, paid tax and now paid even more to get well. All while your government is pissing 200 billion after Ukraine. Doesn't make sense to me. That's not freedom.

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Wow, I bet that surgery cost Moocho bucks.

Good to see you are still alive and kicking OP.

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 08:03 AM
link   
So does the body ever reject the new parts or are you on daily medication for it?

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I think the replacement cow valve is specially treated before insertion so no anti-rejection medicines are required.

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: BernnieJGato

Hi, I did have co-pays for testing before surgery of $1000 my surgery cost $26.00 so far out of pocket, I am still getting bills. I do it yet know the final out of pocket cost. I will update and let you know!

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I am so sorry about your brothers stroke! So happy he is alive and his new heart is doing great!

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

My insurance covered most but I can’t believe while I was in recovery in ER a aspirin cost $20 a pill wow

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero
Andy I right, it is treated for no rejection. It’s actually not a cow valve because a cow heart is too large for a human. The valve is made from cow heart tissue. If you see me mooing in a field you can honk!

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Wow glad you are ok man.

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Thank you kindly. I have a new outlook on life. I enjoy your great writings!

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Wooooah! I'm in medicine, and you've gone thru 1,000% reincarnation with this! You had 2 choices. Once you decided to live, you're here and God provides, and Jesus Saves...or whomever greater power you believe in.

Time is eternal, yet life- finite. My friend...you're entire story is inspirational. You've been given some chance...don't know what...my friend? You need to go find out....
🙏
God bless...pm me anytime..

EMT/Adv Life Support
DHSec/FEMA/CERT
1st Responder

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Wow thank you! I have to thank you kindly. I left out most of the details as you know. Yes I am soooooooo lucky to be here! Thank you!!!!

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Wow! What an interesting story (and what a horrific medical bill!!!)

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Thank you kindly for reading. I posted it hoping it would help someone. The bill is insane. I did not post the whole bill because it make me sick to look at it!

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Thanks for sharing your adventure, JJ, I can imagine the angst that all this caused you. I hate doctors and surgery and I would have been as hesitant as you, maybe more so and probably to my detriment. I’m happy to read that you and they got it sorted in time and that you are well. These kinds of experiences surely can change one’s outlook on life; how delicate we are and how precious each day afforded us, is.

Those costs are just absurd. One good thing of being in Europe is that these types of medical procedures are covered by the national health. So, unless you’re a tourist or temporary resident, permanent residents in the EU don’t pay a penny in case of emergency surgery. The problem is the kilometric waiting lists for some non-urgent procedures. There are also private clinics and those do charge a lot, but I don’t think the prices are as stratospheric as those you listed.

Take care, stay safe and well.

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Thank you kindly, most of the prices I could not even list they are soooo crazy! I posted this in hopes that it will help one person. If someone has chest pain or a hard time working out don’t be like me lol. Go see a doctor. I dislike going to doctors as much as you!

My two brothers are doctors and they don’t like going to the doctor lol.

The cost is way crazy. Happy that your country covers healthcare!

edit on 10-6-2023 by JJproductions because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join