It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professor of Psychiatry: Transgender is a mental disorder that merits treatment

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I think this is an example of the health care system profiting from mental disorders by performing dangerous and uneeded surgeries. They've created a business by doing gender transition surgeries on children as young as 2 or 3 allegedly.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

The reason they commit suicide is lack of a support structure. almost all are shunned,disowned,mistreated,bullied and constantly told they are crazy,or worthless. I bet the Doctor would be suicidal too if he was treated that way.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: v1rtu0s0
I think this is an example of the health care system profiting from mental disorders by performing dangerous and uneeded surgeries. They've created a business by doing gender transition surgeries on children as young as 2 or 3 allegedly.

Thats way too young to do that. 18 to start hormones,and 21 to get surgery would help. And all the time regular Visits to mental health to ensure its actually needed or wanted.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: Asmodeus3

What if souls have a gender and the soul in that body happens to be a different gender than the body? Then it wouldn’t be a mental illness at all. Anyone want to prove to me that souls don’t have gender?

I agree with you on this because I'm biologically female but always felt male at a core level. It may not be a mental illness but that disconnect with the physical certainly needs to be risen above to the point you fully accept who you are, as is, without the mind demanding changes be made. Superficial changes really don't do much but can set a person back relative their growth. In the end, we are trapped in the body regardless of what it look like. We all age and mature. There is no magic fix but to evolve mentally.

Probably mental illness is the unwillingness to see that the work needing done is mental, not physical. The people addicted to cosmetic surgery are examples of this. When is enough enough? At some point they have to call it quits and accept themselves which should have been done back before they mutilated themselves.

I'd like to see the medical system go back to "do no harm" and offer up decent mental health advice rather than the usual quick fix... here's a wonder surgery/drug first.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: 1947boomer
a reply to: Asmodeus3

McHugh refers to a study showing that transgendered people who underwent reassignment surgery had a suicide rate 20 times higher than non-transgendered people.

I believe he was referring to this Swedish study from 2011:

journals.plos.org.../journal.pone.0016885

The actual number from that study is 19.1, not 20.

The real question should be: what is the suicide rate for transgendered people who DO undergo gender reassignment surgery compared to transgendered people who DON'T undergo sex reassignment surgery?

According to the Society for Suicide Prevention, the current suicide rate for the general population in the US is around 13.48 per 100,000 people. A suicide rate 19.1 times that would be .26%.

afsp.org...

A recent survey published by The Trevor Project found that nationwide, about 20% of transgender youth attempt suicide:

www.thetrevorproject.org...

Suicide Awareness Voice for Education estimates that 1 in 25 of all suicide attempts is successful:

save.org...

This would imply that the suicide rate for transgender youth who DON'T undergo gender reassignment surgery is about 20%/25 or ≈ 0.8%, or about 3 times greater than those who DO undergo gender reassignment surgery.

It looks like gender reassignment surgery saves lives.

Politicalised studies have no place in academia. The same is true when politics interfere in science and medicine. Politics has no place in science and medicine.

The proposition that 'gender affirming care' or otherwise butchering of genitalia together with 'puberty blockers' and 'hormonal therapy' as a means to save lives is a true as the existence of the 72 genders, the existence of goblins, hobbits, and pink unicorns...
edit on 7-5-2023 by Asmodeus3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Thats way too young to do that. 18 to start hormones,and 21 to get surgery would help. And all the time regular Visits to mental health to ensure its actually needed or wanted.

Naaah. This is just an unsubstantiated statement which is promoted as part of the transgender ideology which is at odds with reality, truth, and science.

As I said above:

The proposition that 'gender affirming care' or otherwise butchering of genitalia together with 'puberty blockers' and 'hormonal therapy' as a means to save lives is a true as the existence of the 72 genders, the existence of goblins, hobbits, and pink unicorns.

edit on 7-5-2023 by Asmodeus3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: v1rtu0s0

2 or 3?

Blimey.

Got a source for that?

That would be shocking. If true.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 02:56 PM
link   
First of all, I am not a trans ideologue but this time you’re really scraping the bottom of the barrel with your obsessed crusade. My interest here is simply to provide balance so those not brain locked into their own ideology have additional information to consider.

Dr. Paul McHugh is an extremist Catholic crusader and has co-authored papers with and was or is a board member of The American College of Pediatricians (ACPeds), an SPLC designated hate group masquerading as a legitimate medical organization, most recently in the public eye due to a data leak of 10,000 files documenting their ongoing legal fight over the abortion drug milepristone among other secret files pushing schools to adopt junk science painting transgender youth as carriers of a pathological disorder and files detailing methods to indoctrinate pre-teens into a culture of “sexual purity” and opposing same-sex relationships. McHugh has also served as expert witness in the defense of numerous priests accused of child sexual abuse.

ACPeds , a 700 member fringe group is not to be confused with the 67,000 member strong American Academy of Pediatrics that endorses the “affirmative care” model for carefully screened transgender patients

An Anti-Trans Doctor Group Leaked 10,000 Confidential Files

Revealed: Anti-LGBTQ group behind abortion pill ban lawsuit left 1000s of secret files on an open Google drive

McHugh is considered anti-LGBTQ extremists’ favorite fake “expert”. McHugh served as the psychiatrist-in-chief of the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Maryland from 1975 to 2001. The hospital ran a Gender Identity Clinic beginning in 1965, and was one of the first major institutions in the United States to provide transition treatments. McHugh stated when he joined his intention was to shut it down. In 2016, fearing loss of prestige due his harmful rhetoric opposing the consensus of mainstream medicine, Johns Hopkins University disavowed McHugh’s findings and re-opened its gender clinic.

“Paul McHugh’s writings continue to dangerously undermine the safety, security and wellbeing of LGBTQ people, and particularly transgender youth, across the country,” said Mary Beth Maxwell, HRC Vice President for Research, Training, and Programs. “McHugh’s junk science is still being referenced in legislative and legal battles despite the fact that Paul McHugh has no academic expertise in either gender or sexual orientation, and actively avoids publishing any of his anti-LGBTQ pieces in peer-reviewed journals. Policy makers, informed citizens and parents deserve to know that this is junk science and personal opinion - not at all in the mainstream of current medical and academic research and not endorsed by Johns Hopkins regardless of how McHugh uses his title to suggest credibility or expertise.” Link

Those who cover this topic have a responsibility to do so accurately in a more fair and balanced manner rather than just telling readers what they want to hear in an obsessive agenda driven fashion.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

If it's not a mental disorder and isn't a healthcare treatment, why is it being covered by health plans?

Mental simply refers to the brain, thoughts, thinking.

Any person with psychological/emotional issues requiring counseling is experiencing a mental disorder.

When we went through this a few years ago with homosexuality -- it is deemed a mental disorder so it can be covered by insurance.

Anyone "different" in our society is subject to abuse -- requiring counseling -- for mental disorder.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: tamusan

Without links we don't actually know anything, but if real, why didn't Bill Clinton (or any other President) re-instate all that when he and Congress had the votes?? 😁

Same reason there was a sunset in his assualt weapons ban.

Government has never been about fixing problems they create.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 03:06 PM
link   

a reply to: Quadrivium

ACtually,the brain is sexless.
If you took a amnesiac person and gave them memories of being the opposite sex most likely they would act accordingly outside any outward stimulation or anything they can use to see what a male of female is. In isolation so to speak.

No offense Yuppa, but that is BS.
Men and women are different. Our DNA makes it so.
Even our pheromones are different.
Estrogen and Testosterone effect brain development differently.
There are very, very few abnormalities that do accure though.
www.nih.gov...

At a Glance
An analysis of more than 2,000 brain scans showed sex differences in the volume of certain regions in the human brain.
The findings shed light on the mechanisms that may contribute to sex-based differences in brain disease and behavior.

edit on 7-5-2023 by Quadrivium because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asmodeus3

Naaah. This is just an unsubstantiated statement which is promoted as part of the transgender ideology which is at odds with reality, truth, and science.

As I said above:

The proposition that 'gender affirming care' or otherwise butchering of genitalia together with 'puberty blockers' and 'hormonal therapy' as a means to save lives is a true as the existence of the 72 genders, the existence of goblins, hobbits, and pink unicorns.

SO you are being a hypocrite,because some science says otherwise.(not the 72 gender bs)
OK. THINK here. What is teh age of 18? The age of consent correct? Now WHEN is that blocking PUBERTY? when you are 18 almost everyone is beyond puberty. So you basically telling a ADULT what they can do with their own body right?
An ADULT should be able to do WHATEVER they want to with their own bodies.

And a majority of people like me NEVER believed in more than 2 SEXES.
Gender IS MENTAL BUT there is no more than 2. That there is more than 2 is all a bunch of BS the fakers came up with to exscuse themselves about being like they are.

Also no evidence has ever been presented that does not prove one way or another those cryptids did or did not exist scientifically. And Unicorns are horses someone glued a horn on.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: stevieray
Lol come back to the present that we all live in.

Only fools ignore their past as the greatest asset available for momentum and potential.

It can provide the route to gain even more "oompf" by slingshotting around things, orbiting, and never needing to connect until the choice is available.

Think Mercury, Venus, Earth, Moon, Mars, and beyond......

Starstuff.
edit on 7/5/2023 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Obviously another fool who does not understand SEX is the body parts ONLY.

Okay. So help out this fool and explain to me how a sex-based word applies to the non-sex-based gender?

Or, to put it in different terms, what does a man who identifies as a woman have in common with all women but not men?

gender has always been classed wrong because its a way to control people and keep them distracted.

In what way?

I can see how stereotypes and norms have been used to oppress people, especially women. But I see these stereotypes being pushed again to "prove" gender ideology. It's all the same crap.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Interesting question! I've not gotten many answers tho'. It seems to stump folks and they move on.

Also, I think it depends on your religious faith or lack thereof to answer the question, so there is still plenty of room to argue.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: AdifferentOpinion

Thank you for your factual post.

Yes, "The American College of Pediatricians" -- gets used as "proof" in here often.

They are listed by the SPLC as a hate group.

Overall, we rate The American College of Pediatricians a Questionable Source based on far right-wing ideology, promotion of pseudoscience, poor sourcing, and 3rd party labeling as a hate group.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Quadrivium

ANytime someone says no offense.... I never said MEN or WOMEN are not different. The brain is shaped until Puberty is over. Boys raised as girls will actually act like girls most of the time. so that leads one to believe its ENVIRONMENT and raising and treatment that determine a persons GENDER,regardless of their outward Sex.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I think it's less about the lack of mental institutions and more about the mental sickness that is mainstream culture which has been created and is fueled by Satan's minions and their many brainwashing propaganda campaigns.

It's not the schizophrenic yelling at the wall you have to worry about.

It's the radical liberal loyal to what the news tells them who is the real threat.
edit on 7-5-2023 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asmodeus3

As I said above:

SO you are being a hypocrite,because some science says otherwise.(not the 72 gender bs)
OK. THINK here. What is teh age of 18? The age of consent correct? Now WHEN is that blocking PUBERTY? when you are 18 almost everyone is beyond puberty. So you basically telling a ADULT what they can do with their own body right?
An ADULT should be able to do WHATEVER they want to with their own bodies.

And a majority of people like me NEVER believed in more than 2 SEXES.
Gender IS MENTAL BUT there is no more than 2. That there is more than 2 is all a bunch of BS the fakers came up with to exscuse themselves about being like they are.

Also no evidence has ever been presented that does not prove one way or another those cryptids did or did not exist scientifically. And Unicorns are horses someone glued a horn on.

Gender is manifestation of the chromosomal make up of an individual. Gender and biological sex indistinguishable. Gender is only different in the minds of the gender ideologists and trans activists who have tried to twist the definitions of words and who are constantly denying biological reality.

Those who claim there are 72 genders need to provide the evidence for it as the burden of proof is to those who make the claims.

Let's start with the basics. There is no evidence there ard more than 2 genders. The beliefs or delusions of the gender ideologists and trans-activists or transgender individuals don't count as evidence.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Boys raised as girls will actually act like girls most of the time. so that leads one to believe its ENVIRONMENT and raising and treatment that determine a persons GENDER,regardless of their outward Sex.

I used to think this until I had a boy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join