It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reminisce with me about McDonald’s

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2023 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
You reminded me of a friend who went to a party which had catered food - she had the 'finger pate sandwiches', little bread sandwiches with the crusts cut off, fancy stuff.
She said it wasn't too long before she had to run to the ladies' room, couldn't stop being sick. She came out and checked the sandwiches, the pate was green, evidently it had been left out for some time and turned off. They had to toss all the food out.

posted on Jan, 13 2023 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Yeah, I loved those pies (cherry for me). I remember one time a McDs had a one day sale, 25 cents each. I drove the 20 some miles and bought 50 (I think).

I stopped going to McDs a long time ago. Not because of the food, but because of a story I read. Some guy was in the McDs beating his wife or girlfriend, I don't remember which. One of the employees stepped in and stopped the guy. The guy shot him. McDs refused to pay his medical bills saying that stopping the guy wasn't job related. I made up my mind that a company like that doesn't deserve my business.

I tell you what I really miss, though, is Shakey's Pizza. I can still remember the song.

posted on Jan, 13 2023 @ 11:02 PM
link   

I used to really like the Apple Grande or something that at I think Taco John's or Taco Bell. I don't know if they still have it but there is no Taco john's around here anymore. I don't think they have anything like that at Taco Bell on the menu.

The tacos at the taco places used to be pretty good back in the seventies and eighties, now I go there once in a while just to relearn they are nothing but salty crap these days. It must be something they add now to prevent food poisoning that is causing them to taste so yucky, I am not sure why they got so bad, the tacos we make at home still taste really good. My daughter had like three hundred soft taco shells sent up from a town she worked at in Arizona, boy were those good. Even after we froze them. They do not ship but she had a friend go and buy them from a Tostada factory in town and send up half a case. I need to learn how to make them, tried a few recipes and they taste like the store bought ones, need a good recipe.

posted on Jan, 14 2023 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Interesting to converse with the first generation who was targeted by fast food. I'm one of them, and curious as to our health compared to generations previous who spent most if not all of their lives not eating #-food-fast.

And yeah it was a "treat" when going to the city and stopping at the "restaurant" with that weird clown in the front. >shivers<
How's this for tee vee programming.. off the top of my head.. "2 all beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun" gawd

One more old memory? MacDonald's, not McDonalds. Anyone remember that?
Not why I remember McDonald's as MacDonalds long ago, but its a big mac.

posted on Jan, 14 2023 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Anyone remember their apple pie?
For those that are too young, let me tell you!

The UK still sells them.
www.mcdonalds.com...

Reminisce with this video ....where an American gets all excited walking into a uk Macdonald's to buy one.

You can even watch him eating it

edit on 14-1-2023 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2023 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

The UK still sells them.

What the ... ?

All right, be cool. I'm going to need fake passports, suitcases with false bottoms, cash for bribes and bail money, street dealers, ...

On second thought, skip the street dealers. I'll just get fat on my own stash.

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 12:09 PM
link   

OMG I remember back in the 1970s you could eat there with a date for under ten dollars, actually under FIVE dollars. I am in my 60s now and still eat there occasionally, but the food is just not what it used to be. The only thing I really like there now is the Frappe Caramel, which is SOOO good but basically a heart attack milkshake, so I only allow myself one or two a month. The fries are still fantastic but let's be honest, it's not really food as we know it, it's a sort of pseudo food. Mcdonalds is to food what perfume is to flowers. Sort of like it but not really. I ate at a Mcdonalds in France a few years back and it was considerably better than the burger here in the US, not sure why.
edit on 15-1-2023 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The only chain that still makes and sells that type of pie is Popeye's Chicken(All rejoice!). Rallys/Checkers just stopped, and BK quit their pies 3 years ago. I haven't been back to BK since. I used the pie crust as an internal grease moderator to cancel out the Whopper's side effects. Popeye's chicken is about 1/2 level above KFC, but their cajun gravy tastes like swamp water(avoid). KFC still the rules the gravy world.
I worked in a Mexican Restaurant that used to put their ground beef in a raw tortilla, close it up with toothpicks, and cook it in a deep fryer. They would then drain them, pull out the tooth pics, and stuff it with lettuce, tomato, and cheese. Best Taco ever! The beef flavor would blend with the crispy taco shell for incredible taste(just like those pies). That place didn't pay their with holding taxes, and I was really bummed when the IRS closed them down.
I can't believe how bad French Fries have fallen. BK and Wendy's spent hundreds of millions of Dollars to develop Health-Fries that are barely edible. Their old ones were decent(like 20 years ago), why waste all that money? You can make better ones at home now.
My last complaint: I used to buy those McD's $1 hot fudge sundaes. They used to give you a little packet of crushed Peanuts with them, that put them over the top for flavor. The last time I went, when I asked for the Peanuts, the server looked at me like I was from Mars. The Manager came to the window and said corporate gave them the right to opt out of peanuts. Since then, I opted out of the Sundaes.

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I never liked McDonald’s as a child, I liked Burger Chef.

I never liked Taco Bell as a teenager, I liked Zantigo.

Pizza Hut was passable until maybe my mid 20’s, then I had to have a local mom and pop pizza rather than corporate.

Burger King, Arby’s, Wendy’s, KFC and Hardee’s were all great in their day…now I can barely tolerate Wendy’s and KFC and won’t eat at the others.

Hot Head Burrito is still basically an Ohio regional thing, far better than Chipotle…but it still depends on the store. Basically it has come down to killing a $20 for a decent burger, fries and a Coke. And there are not that many Fuddruckers, Red Robin’s, Johnny Rockets, Smashburgers and Five Guys to make it worthwhile. And $3 and 16 minutes in the air fryer (because I can do burgers and fries at the same time) is hard to beat.

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Back in the day McDonald’s apple pies were the absolute BEST.
They were filled with real apples,

No, they were filled with apple tasting molten LAVA.

I haven't eaten McDonalds in like a decade, except for this one night last year after a car accident, when I got out of the hospital it was literally the only place open by the hotel. I ordered the chicken sandwich, not the dollar menu sandwich with processed chicken #, but the fillet, and it was OK. Before that, last time I ate there it tasted good, but I was hungry soon after and also felt ill, not because of food poisoning, but because the quality is # and my body wasn't used to eating trash.Breakfast is ok though I think

Pizza Hut used to be good, too. I worked there in college, so I know what goes on. Several years ago I ordered from them a few times, and on multiple occasions i received pies that used OLD dough, like several days old. Having worked there, I know what old dough looks and tastes like. I also know a guy who works there now, and the stories he tells me, far worse than when I worked there, not to mention they no longer make their dough fresh: it's all frozen.

Pizza Hut, bye Felicia. Your quality is #.

edit on 15-1-2023 by SirHardHarry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Burger King, Arby’s, Wendy’s, KFC and Hardee’s were all great in their day

I used to like Arby's. They had decent subs and the beef and cheddar wasn't bad. Went to try their newer chicken salad a year or so ago and it was nothing but dripping in mayo, disgusting.

Yeah, they were good back int he day, though.

Haven't eaten at the other restaurants in years, because I generally can't do fast food.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I used to love the fish sandwich, but discovering that I am celiac has made fast food impossible for me. And I am grateful it is not a temptation.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 11:32 AM
link   

What I miss is Pizza Hut's Priazzo. That was back in the 80s and it was like a two layer pizza. The dough, sauce, cheese then dough and sauce and cheese. They discontinued it because it took too long to make.I agree that I really can't take McDonald's for anything other than breakfast. Their fries are good but the chicken is still second rate compared to ChicFilA. And the burgers... no.
edit on 16-1-2023 by Dutchowl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I saw a post regarding apple pies and turnovers and I immediately thought of the McDonald’s of my youth.

Anyone remember their apple pie?
For those that are too young, let me tell you!

Back in the day McDonald’s apple pies were the absolute BEST.
They were filled with real apples, then they had a pie crust that was DEEP Fried in lard or tallow.
I’m not sure what it was but it made the crust super crispy, almost like an egg roll shell and it had tons of bubble and the inside
Was hot as lava. It was seasoned with cinnamon and was quite possibly one of the most delicious little treats one could have.
You would crunch into that delicious pie shell, and then burn your mouth on the filing every single time. When I say every single time, I mean once every six months because that is about how often parents let their kids eat fast food back then!

Of course they had to change it to be “healthy”or some other nonsense!
The last apple pie I got from there was absolutely disgusting, it was a pale mushy crust with something that resembled apple pie on the inside. Don’t know if it has changed since then.

I told my kids that McDonalds, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut used to actually be really good. They don’t believe me.
Taco Bell used to sell real fajitas with actual steak! Remember when pizza hut had those little checkered table cloths and real candles in that little red votive. Us kids thought it was so romantic!

The hack was one of their old school apple pies and a vanilla ice cream cone in a cup. Oh man, I miss that.

McDonalds is so bland and homogenized now, The only taste of old school MickyD's left is their breakfast.

posted on Jun, 18 2023 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: servovenford
I grew up eating extra crispy chicken at Kentucky fried chicken but after they became KFC they changed recipes by adding a load of garlic powder to extra crispy chicken and mashed potatoes making both inedible to me.

posted on Jun, 18 2023 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: SirHardHarry

Knew someone who worked for Arby's. She said they load their meat with salt to sell drinks.

I won't eat there anymore because the salt is so overwhelming for me.

posted on Nov, 20 2023 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I think back to the fast food joints in Japan. I was stationed in Yokosuka from 1985-1987. The McDonalds in Japan was just the best! Their burgers and fries were way better than McDonalds in the US. Same with KFC. OMG, so much better in Japan! There was an epic A&W Root Beer stand in Tokyo. So good. Was always a long line there.

Yeah, I think in the 70's and 80's, a lot of the fast food places had way better tasting food. I can remember Hardees having the best coffee. OMG, it was so good! Those were the days. To me, the best fast food now is getting an OG chicken sandwich and onion rings at BK. Their fries suck, but the onion rings are so good.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join