It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How are you preparing for a deep recession or even a depression

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Hello ATS,

A new paper was released from the Department of Economics at Harvard University. You can find the article Here.

With black Friday estimated sales being far under target (I'm not sure how they know this already) and all of the other economic pain everyone is feeling, I believe at the very least we are going to have to admit we are in a recession right now or heading into one soon. With Harvard University now advising central banks to hedge against sanctions we might have another base level card in the house of cards about to be kicked from the foundation. If this happens, a recession is the least of our worries, I believe a depression will occur.

With the BRIC's nations already talking about trading oil in a gold backed currency, sanctions on the US (the dollar), inflation that FED is trying to relieve with higher interest rates which is killing the housing market and many other bad signs in the economy.

What are you doing to prepare for this? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Many here on ATS have prepared for this for the last 2 years.

1. A rush on garden seeds will take place. ( You can ask MIM to send you some , we have plenty available here )
2. Smart people already started buying berry plants and jars and waxes.
3. Necessary to have bicycles for all family members. Gasoline can be in short supply.
4. Best to plan for you don't need a freezer.
5. Learn how to smoke your meats.

get you and your love ones a copy of this:

seasonedcitizenprepper.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: litterbaux

Getting ahead on some bigger expenses (proactively getting things fixed on the truck for example), cutting back on expenses where I can (like not eating out as much, canceled a couple unnecessary subscriptions), just trying to be more cognizant of my spending habits and having extra security in the areas that I can control.

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Last night the national news said stores had already far surpassed their targeted sales and profits have already surpassed those 2019.

Then they went on to say an estimated 60% of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck, and the majority of shoppers were using credit cards for their purchases.

From my corner of the world, it looks like 40% are able to shop and inflation is accounting for record profits, along with those who still have room on their credit cards.

My daughter lives in the Seattle area and she said demonstrators have been filling the streets protesting the homeless crisis and astronomical rent increases.
The internet says it's only Asians that are protesting racism.

My grandmother had a scrapbook she used as a journal during the Great Depression. It was filled with photos, ration stamps, prices and limits on goods and so much more. Looking at pictures of sparse store shelves already mirrors her account of the G.D.

I hope somebody puts the brakes on this runaway train, but I'm not seeing any sensible policies coming out of our current administration. Even being 'lame duck' here on out, with another two years left and far too many RINO's that go along to get along it's not looking too promising.

My son always says "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger". I think 'what doesn't kill you mutates and tries again'.

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Working harder...learning more...and shooting straighter/faster

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

1. I live on a postage stamp property, I think it's 1/3 acre in the city. We grow some food in pots but our house is facing east and I'm not going to put raised beds in my front yard. Back yard is completely trees.

2. Same answer as 1.

3. Done.

4. We have a generator and live in the north woods. I don't think electricity will go away, it will probably just be very expensive.

5. Note taken, that's good advice.

I wasn't clear in my OP. What are you going to do financially? Will you buy gold like Harvard suggests? If banks start failing and a run happens, would taking some money out now be a good solution? Maybe spread your money around to multiple banks?

If everyone loses all their money, what point would having dollars be? You won't be able to do anything with it if there's nobody to trade with. Same with gold, if everyone just turns into farmers and you only have gold bars, you're going to pay $2,000 for an ear of corn?

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Many here on ATS have prepared for this for the last 2 years.

1. A rush on garden seeds will take place. ( You can ask MIM to send you some , we have plenty available here )
2. Smart people already started buying berry plants and jars and waxes.
3. Necessary to have bicycles for all family members. Gasoline can be in short supply.
4. Best to plan for you don't need a freezer.
5. Learn how to smoke your meats.

get you and your love ones a copy of this:

seasonedcitizenprepper.com...

Seeds!

I'm pretty damn 'prepared' but I forgot the seeds!

I can grow some things in AZ that normally aren't necessary, but need the seeds.

Thank You MiM!

edit on 26-11-2022 by OGPatriot411 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

I don't believe for a second that stores have surpassed 2019 levels. The 2020 and 2021 stimulus checks went right back into the economy, trillions of dollars created from thin air into the economy.

Interesting paralell to the great depression regarding photos.

I don't blame the politicians or the current admin, well let me rephrase that, I don't think they know what they are doing. Everything has been chugging along for 40 years, why would they know what to do. It's an excuse but I'm not sure anyone really knows what to do. They are using the tricks that worked in the past but those tricks aren't working now. Well, the one trick they have left is war.

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: OGPatriot411

There were a ton of people last year that said their seeds didn't sprout. I wasn't one of those people, the ones I planted in my pots mostly came up.

Not sure what's going on there, might just be localized issues or people gardening for the first time and think every seed will sprout. Something to keep in mind though, if you don't know what you are doing, don't expect every seed to produce a plant let alone a yield.

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

Working harder...learning more...and shooting straighter/faster

Do you know how to reload? If CBDC happens you won't be able to buy ammo. Sure, at first you'll be able to buy with cash but eventually Scheels will repurpose that entire area because nothing will be selling. The black market will suck almost all money from the system but at some point those dollars will have to be exchanged for CBDC and probably at a 25% penalty.

Dollars will be gone within a couple years and everything you buy with them will have that 25% built into the cost until they are gone for good.

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: litterbaux
a reply to: OGPatriot411

There were a ton of people last year that said their seeds didn't sprout. I wasn't one of those people, the ones I planted in my pots mostly came up.

Not sure what's going on there, might just be localized issues or people gardening for the first time and think every seed will sprout. Something to keep in mind though, if you don't know what you are doing, don't expect every seed to produce a plant let alone a yield.

Great advice!

I've small farmed/large gardened before, decades ago in the midwest, but haven't had any interest since moving to AZ. I think I'll order the seeds from my favorite supplier back there instead of trying out unknown local vendors here in AZ for the first time.

Will stick to a few things I've done before that I've also seen folks successfully grow here.

edit on 26-11-2022 by OGPatriot411 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I know it's only been an hour, it seems like nobody knows what to do financially right now.

Do you buy gold? Silver? Guns and ammo was mentioned, that's scary. Do you pull cash out of the bank? Do you spread your cash out over several banks? Maybe a few credit unions? Paying off debt is obviously something you need to do right away.

I haven't heard anyone say invest in the stock market or bitcoin.

Maybe there isn't anything to do but wait.

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I'd imagine ATSers are more prepared than most, but let's not kid ourselves it isn't gonna be a great depression 2.0 unless TPTB wants it To be GD2.0

The current administration needs fear it motivates their neurotic base, Remember the Dark Winter ahead BS.

Lastly, even if we have an extended recession collectively it will be talked about as if the GD2.0. Cause in 2022 we have become overly dramatic.

PS.

Yes, we had to spend time with relatives since Thursday. It was completely civil we can all discuss most things rationally LOL, my daughters always help me see another viewpoint. But there is always been differences of opinion LOL, and as my Mom pointed out there always were but way back then the adults had even more decorum and respect for those differences. That's why we kids didn't feel like there were those differences, we didn't notice cause that generation knew how to keep it on the down low.

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I do know how...I dont own the equipment or have space to do so. I have enough to get me where I need to be. You don't need a stockpile of ammo if you are proficient and only use it when necessary. Not to mention every police dept across the country stocks .40 and .308 so I won't be running out any time soon if a real shtf type thing occured...which is about the only time I would need a real ammo stock.
edit on 26-11-2022 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

A little off topic but I still don't talk to some of my family over recent events from the past couple years. I'm open for all sides of debate, I wasn't offered that from their side. Unfortunate, it's sad really. Nothing is black and white like most people think, you can be grey. There are some members here that sway my opinions which leads me to do independant research. Once that's verified, my thoughts change

That's what I'm trying to do here with our financial crisis happening right now. This site has a wealth of information from all walks of life.

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I probably need to get some more canning salt. And some more vinegar, we are down to two gallons right now. I have lots of jars and lids but no actual canning pot with the rack yet, I suppose that would be something I should consider getting.

I cannot stock much more, I hate wasting and we cannot rotate fast enough if I bring up our stocks higher.

I know how to cure meats. It would be nice if I got hold of some food grade salt peter for making sausages, but the last Italian store closed down now around here. I suppose I can order it from the supermarket where many Italians now get supplies from in a nearby town.

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Hug my wife and walk my dog, everything else is out of my hands. Don't be afraid of the future, embrace it.

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
Always wanted to ask... is that poop on a stick?

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: collie
Hug my wife and walk my dog, everything else is out of my hands. Don't be afraid of the future, embrace it.

You're not paying down debt? Shopping around for sales? Learning about gardening and canning? Getting to know your neighbors? Learning a new skill or trade?

I mean c'mon. If you're doing nothing right now, you are going to be left behind in the next big downturn. Maybe the downturn has already happened, don't you want to be ahead when things get really good?

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: collie
a reply to: rickymouse
Always wanted to ask... is that poop on a stick?

It is a carved rock with a hole similar to a bone marrow hole in it which has been permineralized. I don't know how they made it permineralized or if it was permineralized before they carved it. It is made from a piece of bone bigger than a cow according to the butchers at the supermarket, but they said they do not know if buffalo have any bones that are big enough to make it. Considering there are all kinds of permineralized pieces of bone around here, it could be a bone off some ancient big animal. Thought about bringing it to MTU to get it tested but figured I really don't care, my luck they would confiscate it and put it on display there for the good of the people. One guy told me he brought some old artifacts to the college here and they took them because they said that they were possibly burial artifacts so they have them on display at the college and told him he could not dig there anymore...seems to both of us they just conned him, if that was true they should have required them to be reburied, not kept at the college.

I have a picture of it on a link on my wall here, as I found it with the fibrous plug already removed which was probably the handle at one time. I should have kept the plug, it was like stranded clay. I guess the wood fibers can survive a thousand years.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join