It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA JW pics live stream

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Anyone watching the NASA live stream?

NASA is releasing the first 5 images taken by J.W telescope.
So far we have seen the image they released yesterday and a comparison image of a nebulae that was photographed by Hubble.
The new telescope has revealed quite a few differences.

If anyone needs a link, see below.

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I mean I get why they have to make a big production out of it, I get it I really do, but the picture and an explanation are really what most people need.

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Ya, they are dragging this out.
I’m all for a quick venue to put on display the 5 images. But they are really beating the horse here.
A lot of repeating the same stuff over and over.
I’d rather they just focused on the images.
Show the new pics, give us a laymen scientific explanation of what we are seeing, then move on to the next.
But it is what it is I guess.

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

That NASA chick:

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Stunning images released from Webb so far , here a comparison between Webb and Hubble Deep fields.

Stephan’s Quintet.

a visual grouping of five galaxies, is best known for being prominently featured in the holiday classic film, “It’s a Wonderful Life.” Today, NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope reveals Stephan’s Quintet in a new light. This enormous mosaic is Webb’s largest image to date, covering about one-fifth of the Moon’s diameter. It contains over 150 million pixels and is constructed from almost 1,000 separate image files. The information from Webb provides new insights into how galactic interactions may have driven galaxy evolution in the early universe.

Star-forming region NGC 3324 in the Carina Nebula.

Called the Cosmic Cliffs, the region is actually the edge of a gigantic, gaseous cavity within NGC 3324, roughly 7,600 light-years away. The cavernous area has been carved from the nebula by the intense ultraviolet radiation and stellar winds from extremely massive, hot, young stars located in the center of the bubble, above the area shown in this image. The high-energy radiation from these stars is sculpting the nebula’s wall by slowly eroding it away.

NIRCam – with its crisp resolution and unparalleled sensitivity – unveils hundreds of previously hidden stars, and even numerous background galaxies. Several prominent features in this image are described below.

The dimmer star at the center of this scene has been sending out rings of gas and dust for thousands of years in all directions, and NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope has revealed for the first time that this star is cloaked in dust.

Two cameras aboard Webb captured the latest image of this planetary nebula, cataloged as NGC 3132, and known informally as the Southern Ring Nebula. It is approximately 2,500 light-years away.

Webb will allow astronomers to dig into many more specifics about planetary nebulae like this one – clouds of gas and dust expelled by dying stars. Understanding which molecules are present, and where they lie throughout the shells of gas and dust will help researchers refine their knowledge of these objects.

This observation shows the Southern Ring Nebula almost face-on, but if we could rotate it to view it edge-on, its three-dimensional shape would more clearly look like two bowls placed together at the bottom, opening away from one another with a large hole at the center.
webbtelescope.org...

Humanity has had a Cosmic cataract surgery.

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

It amazes me how so many people think the Hubble and webb are basically the same thing.
When the Webb is tuned in properly it will blow the Hubble away.

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 10:56 AM
link   
This is a pretty amazing scale video showing the FOV that J.W focused on.

Link to video on Twitter

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 10:58 AM
link   
It appears to me that the NASA dog and pony show is just a PR event for more funding.

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
It appears to me that the NASA dog and pony show is just a PR event for more funding.

It appears to me this PR event is to highlight the great leap forward that Webb offers to astronomy and judging by the first pictures it's an event worth highlighting.

Each to their own I guess.

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Great leap forward in what? Resolution or actual knowledge?

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

originally posted by: Nickn3

It appears to me this PR event is to highlight the great leap forward that Webb offers to astronomy and judging by the first pictures it's an event worth highlighting.

Each to their own I guess.

It's bit of both and there is nothing wrong with it especially with billions being dropped on war, so obviously as an agency they have to show their worth, considering where other monies go I'm okay with spending on this, all we can hope for is the money is being spent properly and completely for the use intended. It's worth it.

besides this is just the start... so stunning, endless expanse so many questions make me want to fast forward to humanity's next step or at least try to envision what that actually would be

This visually reminds me of the space travel scene from the movie "Contact" amazing how close the representation is.

edit on 12-7-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: SmoothOperations

Great leap forward in what? Resolution or actual knowledge?

Doesn't one aid the other ?
With Webb we can see further and clearer , the science instruments plus the increased optics will boost scientists knowledge , and give us something to go Ooooo at.

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

Link to video on Twitter

G'Zus look at that pan back from a Quark! Thanks!

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Link to video on Twitter

Go here gives you wonderful tools to play with now the depth is mind boggling.....we are so insignificant

web.wwtassets.org...

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

Link to video on Twitter

Go here gives you wonderful tools to play with now the depth is mind boggling.....we are so insignificant

web.wwtassets.org...

Thank you.

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Link to video on Twitter

web.wwtassets.org...

Thank you.

LOL No thank you, not to get all Carl Sageny here, but damn, how can we not be humble so much in our own complete insignificance in the big picture.

Instead of wars, fighting and politics we ought to be hugging each other and marveling that we even exist.

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Link to video on Twitter

web.wwtassets.org...

We're merely cosmic specs in the midst of infinity. A lot, if not most of the light captured by the telescope took longer to get to it from the source than the existence of mankind.

*hits bowl*

Like, everything we see might only be part of a universe that exists in a grain of sand on another planet. We may not have even seen past the perceived universe that is only a grain in an infinite amount of other universes.

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Doesn't one aid the other ?

No, you still have no clue, only it looks sharper.

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: SmoothOperations

No, you still have no clue, only it looks sharper.

So why have they discovered water molecules in the atmosphere of WASP-96b something Webb discovered using spectroscopy ?

Webb can do more than just take pretty pictures.

edit on 12-7-2022 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 01:18 PM
link   

So why have they've discovered water molecules in the atmosphere of WASP-96b something Webb discovered using spectroscopy ?

How is this useful to you?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join