It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for Electric car owners

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

2014 Cherokee its hit 70 thousand and I think it's time to part ways while we can still get 35k

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ravenwatcher

2014 Cherokee its hit 70 thousand and I think it's time to part ways while we can still get 35k

I still own every vehicle I've purchased since 2000 (3), and only the 2000 needs replacing in the next couple years.

If you like the Jeep (who wouldn't?), why not maintain it and use it for another 15 years at basically zero cost?

35k is only about 2k/year after the 20 year value.

Where else are you gonna have that much fun for 2k/year?

edit on 20-5-2022 by PatriotGames4u because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: PatriotGames4u

The cost my friend this year its cost me 3g's power steering and brakes dif service very costly to maintain .

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 07:53 PM
link   
My friend at work owns a Rav4 and here in Washington state,

he gets to pay $500 extra when he buys tabs to pay for the gas tax.

His car is "GREEN"--- a hybrid...LOLOLOLOL!

Sorry...

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 07:57 PM
link   

The cost my friend this year its cost me 3g's power steering and brakes dif service very costly to maintain .

Different story then.

I chose two vehicles that I can mostly maintain and repair myself (I don't touch the Challenger) so even major repairs aren't all that costly once they're old enough for parts to be plentiful.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

Tempted to turn this into a Ford joke, but it really isn't.

I wouldn't spend a single penny on an electric vehicle not produced by Tesla for at least another 5 years, everyone else still has a lot of proving themselves to do.

I wonder how long before someone fits that F150 body to a Cybertruck 'chassis' and power plant?

I might buy that in a hot second.

Like before hitting this 'reply' button.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: PatriotGames4u

I bought a Challenger Hellcat as my midlife crises car (can't come up with any other reason for doing something so out of character), the only word I ever have after launch would get me in trouble here.

Mine is a little older though, none of that 4 cyl stuff.

My average mpg is usually in the 7 range according to the dash display, and I've never once cared.

It obviously isn't my daily driver though, I'd definitely care about mpg if it was.

Nice..that car is a handful. I can't imagine 707hp on a 2wd car.
Yeah, pretty sure cylinder deactivation isn't available on the supercharged motor for obvious reasons.
I'm giving my wife the srt and going for the Trackhawk next.
It does just over 2 sec 0-60 stock, I believe.
Absolute clown car
Fun stuff

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

I bought a Challenger Hellcat as my midlife crises car (can't come up with any other reason for doing something so out of character), the only word I ever have after launch would get me in trouble here.

Mine is a little older though, none of that 4 cyl stuff.

My average mpg is usually in the 7 range according to the dash display, and I've never once cared.

It obviously isn't my daily driver though, I'd definitely care about mpg if it was.

Nice..that car is a handful. I can't imagine 707hp on a 2wd car.
Yeah, pretty sure cylinder deactivation isn't available on the supercharged motor for obvious reasons.
I'm giving my wife the srt and going for the Trackhawk next.
It does just over 2 sec 0-60 stock, I believe.
Absolute clown car
Fun stuff

This car goes waaay faster than I'm willing to attempt, but Arizona & Nevada highways sure are fun.

I'm just glad the young me never had access to anything like that, or there'd never have been an old me.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I still own every vehicle I've purchased since 2000 (3), and only the 2000 needs replacing in the next couple years.

If you like the Jeep (who wouldn't?), why not maintain it and use it for another 15 years at basically zero cost?

35k is only about 2k/year after the 20 year value.

Where else are you gonna have that much fun for 2k/year?

I agree. I do like my 100k mile warranty on the srt though.
Parts are astronomical. 1000 dollars a headlight, 500 a wheel. It's insane.
I just finished a full restore on a free 99 jeep gc limited w 50k for the wife.
Shocks, springs, heavy swaybars, control arms, track bar, ball joints, power steering, tires, full brakes etc, etc

My gramps bought it new. I'm the only one who could afford to fix it/mechanical in the family.
Damn thing still wanders all over the road.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Yeah very true. Same here.
I had a lot of 200mph Superbike days.
I had to switch to dirtbikes to back it down a notch after my son was born.
Now I just drive the srt and reminisce the old warp speed days.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Back to op. I love the linear power of electric, but the battery thing needs improved.
RC batteries aren't the answer.
I know there's other ways to make electricity that isn't metered.
Bust that out and I'm on board.
I can't play games with my vehicle.
No freezing or overheating on the side of the road with a kiddo, because my car runs on rechargeable flashlight batteries.
The current setup is terrible for road trips.
If Sanfran type cities like it, great but punishing rural people with 5+ dollar gas is complete bs.
It isn't at the stage to be a replacement for gas. Not even close.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 11:27 PM
link   

I haven't haven't needed anything other than tires & battery so far on the Challenger yet, and I doubt that I'll ever work on it myself, mistakes are just too likely, and too expensive.

The dealer won't even let his younger technicians do oil changes on it

I am dreading those eventual repairs though.

Mine's still a baby as far as the odometer goes, hasn't even hit 20k yet.

edit on 21-5-2022 by PatriotGames4u because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2022 @ 12:37 AM
link   

I'm actually ok with Tesla electrics right now.

Still needs significant improvements, but their vehicles have proven reliable, affordable, and pretty practical for folks with specific 'lifestyles'. They certainly aren't an ICU replacement for most people yet though.

Nobody other than Tesla has proven reliability yet, and many have demonstrated the opposite.

Tesla just hasn't built any vehicles that fit my needs yet.

I have high hopes for Lucid (factory is near me) and love the car, but they haven't proven anything yet, and I already have a perfectly good sedan.

edit on 21-5-2022 by PatriotGames4u because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2022 @ 06:21 AM
link   

I don't do bikes.

Not at any speed.

I wanted to at one time, but that changed and I just stay away from them.

posted on May, 21 2022 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I find it hilarious that people think that electric cars are better for the environment. The mining for the metals used in the batteries causes mass destruction and tons of waste. 80% of all power is generated using coal or gas. The disposal of these batteries is a nightmare due to their toxic nature. The electric grid could not handle everyone switching to electric. We already have brown outs and black outs in California. It's a scam but to each their own. I'll stick to the internal combustion engine.

posted on May, 21 2022 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorteurDeMort
I find it hilarious that people think that electric cars are better for the environment. The mining for the metals used in the batteries causes mass destruction and tons of waste. 80% of all power is generated using coal or gas. The disposal of these batteries is a nightmare due to their toxic nature. The electric grid could not handle everyone switching to electric. We already have brown outs and black outs in California. It's a scam but to each their own. I'll stick to the internal combustion engine.

I agree, but my potential future interest in them doesn't have anything at all to do with any supposed environmental benefits.

I live in a place where I can easily charge an electric vehicle with low cost night & weekend rates.

It also happens to be mostly hydro, nuclear and solar power here, but my only motivations would be performance, total costs, and convenience for a vehicle that I like and fits my needs.

I'd choose a coal powered vehicle if it met those same conditions.

Right now neither electric or coal vehicles meet that criteria for me, but electric is getting closer and already meets that criteria for some people.

posted on May, 21 2022 @ 06:36 PM
link   

OIK we are selling our SRT and considering electric but I'm not seeing any savings fuel wise a bill is a bill whether it's Gas or Electric .

Have any of you broke down the cost per Mile and average cost for a full charge not to mention battery life and cost to replace battery's ?

The cost per mile is much less on electric than gasoline, if you regularly are able to charge at home at off-peak rates.

It's very unlikely you will need to replace the main battery at your cost. There are always occasional catastrophic events but that's the case for all vehicles.

Also how well does the car work in below zero temps ?

They will work well in the sense of starting and driving reliably when cold, but range will be significantly reduced, and charging speed lowered.

Interested in opinions and if anyone has sit down and did the actual cost charge and replacement If you have to replace the battery's every couple of years that needs to be added into the cost per mile .

The longevity is much longer than lead-acid batteries, don't use them as the benchmark. Most of them will be working at the end of the car's life. There is a slow reduction in range with time and mileage but otherwise they work fine.

Also if you let the car sit for a couple weeks does it hold a charge does it leach power just being parked thats money also .

It will reduce a small amount of energy but that mostly depends on whether the car's computers & other systems come on. It's rather insignificant.

You miss the most important advantage: it's much more pleasant and great fun to drive. I'll never go back to combustion.

If you live in very cold winter areas, an old winter beater might be useful but you'll loathe to use it.

posted on May, 21 2022 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I find it hilarious that people think that electric cars are better for the environment. The mining for the metals used in the batteries causes mass destruction and tons of waste.

No, the destruction is there but not that significant vs petroleum or coal. The destruction caused by dictators enriched by oil is much worse than anything with electric cars.

80% of all power is generated using coal or gas.

Much less than that.

The disposal of these batteries is a nightmare due to their toxic nature.

The toxicity is significantly less than lead-acid, and yet lead acid batteries are nearly 100% recycled.

The electric grid could not handle everyone switching to electric. We already have brown outs and black outs in California. It's a scam but to each their own. I'll stick to the internal combustion engine.

It's not a scam, they're significantly better. You won't be charging during the 4 hours of peak summer days anyway. There is plenty of off-peak capacity. As more people switch to electric the money that used to go to paying for gasoline will go the grid operators. There will be funds to expand the grid as necessary. That's not a problem. Norway went to selling mostly EVs in a few years and nothing bad happened to them.
edit on 21-5-2022 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2022 @ 07:26 PM
link   

It's a scam but to each their own. I'll stick to the internal combustion engine.

Until they are no longer sold, which is going to happen a lot faster than you think. I'm sure you'll be able to buy older cars until gas prices force you out or you begin to look like the Amish--until you die. But the rest of the population won't, and that's the point. It isn't about you.

posted on Dec, 29 2022 @ 05:32 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join